There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49er Greats from '80s & '90s:Why Not Involved More w/ Team in Some Capacity?

Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:
Just because one is a great player, that does not mean that they would be a great coach.

EXACTLY lmao
I'd rather have noodle-arm Ken Dorsey come back
Kind of funny how a lot of the greatest coaches were mediocre players.
Originally posted by cciowa:
for the millionth time,,. great players do not always make great coaches.. they think everyone should play the game the way they played it,. they do not think the same way. we do not NEED x great niner players back here. its no longer their legacy. people say this only for sentimental reasons. i have serious issues with our offensive coordinator and the only way i would stray from my theory is having rathman do the job(after he learns for a year or two behind shanny) some people think rice can all of a sudden step in and be a coach for our wide outs and that is just silly in my opinion. rice is always trying to be relevant and his ego would never stand being second fiddle to JH.

Spot on. A can think of a few examples of this. These Hall of Famers turned coaches have a tough time accepting anything below perfection from their players, since, like you said, they think differently. It is hard for them to tolerate play that is inadequate and it quickly turns into frustration. Once a coach is frustrated, they do bad things. Larry Bird, Magic, even Singletary. HoF players that become coaches who face adversity when it comes to motivating their players, getting their players to execute, and it quickly turns into table slamming and "why can't you guys do it like I showed you?!" moments.
They're good players, not coaches.

Use them for awe-factor inspirational stories and ceremonies for the fans. That's it.
It'll be like adding more chiefs in a tribe that has already full of chiefs with not enough indians.
It's a nice sentiment, but unless their consulting/mentoring could tangibly help get wins for this team now, I really don't see the point in Jed asking them to do that. Jed has his hands full with the new stadium and trusts all-things-coaching to Harbaugh. If Harbaugh went to Jed and said the team needed those guys in the locker room, I'm sure Jed would do what he could to make it happen. But I get the impression that Harbaugh is of the mentality of "how does this help me win right NOW?"

And while having guys like Lott around to inspire the team would be great, motivational speeches only get you so far. I think having a tactics-minded coach is way more valuable. Singletary was a 'motivational' guy and we saw how that turned out...
Originally posted by mickey49:
It's a nice sentiment, but unless their consulting/mentoring could tangibly help get wins for this team now, I really don't see the point in Jed asking them to do that. Jed has his hands full with the new stadium and trusts all-things-coaching to Harbaugh. If Harbaugh went to Jed and said the team needed those guys in the locker room, I'm sure Jed would do what he could to make it happen. But I get the impression that Harbaugh is of the mentality of "how does this help me win right NOW?"

And while having guys like Lott around to inspire the team would be great, motivational speeches only get you so far. I think having a tactics-minded coach is way more valuable. Singletary was a 'motivational' guy and we saw how that turned out...

Jed has already made it clear that he welcomes all alumni, if they want to come by
for the millionth time,,. great players do not always make great coaches.. they think everyone should play the game the way they played it,. they do not think the same way. we do not NEED x great niner players back here. its no longer their legacy. people say this only for sentimental reasons. i have serious issues with our offensive coordinator and the only way i would stray from my theory is having rathman do the job(after he learns for a year or two behind shanny) some people think rice can all of a sudden step in and be a coach for our wide outs and that is just silly in my opinion. rice is always trying to be relevant and his ego would never stand being second fiddle to JH.

"for the millionth time...great players do not always make great coaches...". Of course that's true and whoever knows about football has seen examples of this time and time again. If you really read all of my post, you'll see I'm not saying they do or even suggesting they do. I'm voicing an opinion of mine that some select former Niner greats from the '80s forward could make a big impact in some capacity in being more involved with the current team via coaching, special consulting occasionally, giving some advice/motivational talks to players at like positions (Lott to the DBs for example), etc., and of course getting paid for all the above since it's on their time. And, "occasionally" could just mean only once or twice a year...whatever it is, just some more involvement - would the Yorks (Denise) allow it? Select ex-Niner greats who seem like good candidates for this (based on their post-playing years hearing them talk football, talk about the Niners team and organization overall, etc.) would be, in my opinion, guys like Lott, Steve Young, Brent Jones, and yes, Jerry Rice. You and I may disagree about Rice...I do think Rice could impart some wisdom on the WRs occasionally. I'm not proclaiming Rice and others should be full-time coaches such as Rathman is now. I just wish some of these guys mentioned could be more closely tied to the organization and I don't know why they're not (unless, again, it's either their decision or the decision of the Yorks to keep the past players at a distance from the current team). This is just something I've wondered about ever since the post-Eddie D. years.
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Nov 29, 2013 at 2:44 PM ]
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
If Harbaugh wanted this to happen it would probably have happened. It's his program with his hand picked assistant coaches and he probably wants to keep it that way.

Yep...even the potlickers Morton and Roman....
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

"for the millionth time...great players do not always make great coaches...". Of course that's true and whoever knows about football has seen examples of this time and time again. If you really read all of my post, you'll see I'm not saying they do or even suggesting they do. I'm voicing an opinion of mine that some select former Niner greats from the '80s forward could make a big impact in some capacity in being more involved with the current team via coaching, special consulting occasionally, giving some advice/motivational talks to players at like positions (Lott to the DBs for example), etc., and of course getting paid for all the above since it's on their time. And, "occasionally" could just mean only once or twice a year...whatever it is, just some more involvement - would the Yorks (Denise) allow it? Select ex-Niner greats who seem like good candidates for this (based on their post-playing years hearing them talk football, talk about the Niners team and organization overall, etc.) would be, in my opinion, guys like Lott, Steve Young, Brent Jones, and yes, Jerry Rice. You and I may disagree about Rice...I do think Rice could impart some wisdom on the WRs occasionally. I'm not proclaiming Rice and others should be full-time coaches such as Rathman is now. I just wish some of these guys mentioned could be more closely tied to the organization and I don't know why they're not (unless, again, it's either their decision or the decision of the Yorks to keep the past players at a distance from the current team). This is just something I've wondered about ever since the post-Eddie D. years.

TWO WORDS: Mike Singletary
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

TWO WORDS: Mike Singletary
bart starr
forest greg
bob gibson( baseball he was a horrid pitching coach for the braves
the well above average players make the best coachs, JH, Jeff fisher . I suppose ditka is a exception since he was a hall of fame player but i wonder how much of it was his defense and players instead of him