There are 127 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49er Greats from '80s & '90s:Why Not Involved More w/ Team in Some Capacity?

Originally posted by wysiwyg:
They are bitter the League won't cover their multiple surgeries / disabilities

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/kroichick/article/Glory-has-its-price-25-years-later-the-heroes-2655062.php

Plus, York wanted to distance himself from Eddie after Denise took over the team

Plus, what everybody else said, why would they work for free

Who said anything about them working for free? They would get paid, of course, for any kind of coaching, "special consulting", etc. That's not even in question. Also, this post is not about saying our all-time greats should want to help out their former team in some capacity - they should live their lives after football in any way they choose. That goes without saying. I just get the feeling Rice (he said so recently) and maybe others like Lott, Young, and Jones (they've all been on local radio a lot over the years talking about the team) would want to help out more and pass along their knowledge/experience when and where they could, especially to the young talent on this team that are key contributors to a team poised for more current and future success. Maybe a part of me also hopes this is the case as I vividly remember how well they played the game and also how they carried themselves on and off the field in representing the organization.

This post is about why haven't the Yorks reached out to them more (maybe they have?) or just do whatever they can to try to get some of these greats back around the team more in some teaching/influential capacity? Again, maybe they've tried. I just think it could only be a good thing to keep the bridge strong between the dynasty teams and with the current team that continues to show so much promise under Harbaugh and Baalke. The Niners are in select company with five titles...anytime you can leverage the greatness that helped bring those titles, you should do it and thus be better off in doing so, in my opinion. If these greats are willing and have expressed as much, I just hope ownership keeps that door open - I bet Jed will.
Originally posted by robniner:
The only two things I can think off are philosophy and conflict.

That's what I'm thinking...something like that.
Off topic but speaking of Lott, whatever happened to DBs like him that used to wear the huge shoulder pads?
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Off topic but speaking of Lott, whatever happened to DBs like him that used to wear the huge shoulder pads?

Can do a lot of damage to a player.
The players from the 70's and 80's have the benefit of Coach Bill Walsh. I'm sure imparting some of that first hand experience from the Master would only help. However, it's a different time and the current staff hasn't done too bad.
They are bitter the League won't cover their multiple surgeries / disabilities

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/kroichick/article/Glory-has-its-price-25-years-later-the-heroes-2655062.php

Plus, York wanted to distance himself from Eddie after Denise took over the team

Plus, what everybody else said, why would they work for free

Who said anything about them working for free? They would get paid, of course, for any kind of coaching, "special consulting", etc. That's not even in question. Also, this post is not about saying our all-time greats should want to help out their former team in some capacity - they should live their lives after football in any way they choose. That goes without saying. I just get the feeling Rice (he said so recently) and maybe others like Lott, Young, and Jones (they've all been on local radio a lot over the years talking about the team) would want to help out more and pass along their knowledge/experience when and where they could, especially to the young talent on this team that are key contributors to a team poised for more current and future success. Maybe a part of me also hopes this is the case as I vividly remember how well they played the game and also how they carried themselves on and off the field in representing the organization.

This post is about why haven't the Yorks reached out to them more (maybe they have?) or just do whatever they can to try to get some of these greats back around the team more in some teaching/influential capacity? Again, maybe they've tried. I just think it could only be a good thing to keep the bridge strong between the dynasty teams and with the current team that continues to show so much promise under Harbaugh and Baalke. The Niners are in select company with five titles...anytime you can leverage the greatness that helped bring those titles, you should do it and thus be better off in doing so, in my opinion. If these greats are willing and have expressed as much, I just hope ownership keeps that door open - I bet Jed will.
It was kinda weird having TO as an honorary captain. I can think of a lot of players I'd prefer over him, given his ugly exit.

Ahmad Brooks would have killed Brees with pads like that. Goodell has probably outlawed them in the No Fun / Neurotic Foul League
Just because one is a great player, that does not mean that they would be a great coach.
  • buck
  • Veteran
[b]
Originally posted by ace52:
Rice wanted to be a consultant to help out our young WRs, but the FO didn't want his services.

Are you sure about this?

Do you have a link?
Why the hell would great players want to be more involved with gangbangers and thugs?
Originally posted by EddieAnderson757:
Why the hell would great players want to be more involved with gangbangers and thugs?

I guess they could volunteer to mentor all the cheaters and drug addicts playing football in the pacific northwest
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Originally posted by EddieAnderson757:

I guess they could volunteer to mentor all the cheaters and drug addicts playing football in the pacific northwest

Large shoulder pads reduce range of motion and slow you down. Lott was a linebacker playing safety.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
for the millionth time,,. great players do not always make great coaches.. they think everyone should play the game the way they played it,. they do not think the same way. we do not NEED x great niner players back here. its no longer their legacy. people say this only for sentimental reasons. i have serious issues with our offensive coordinator and the only way i would stray from my theory is having rathman do the job(after he learns for a year or two behind shanny) some people think rice can all of a sudden step in and be a coach for our wide outs and that is just silly in my opinion. rice is always trying to be relevant and his ego would never stand being second fiddle to JH.
It was kinda weird having TO as an honorary captain. I can think of a lot of players I'd prefer over him, given his ugly exit.

Do you know why he was even the honorary captain ?