There are 108 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49er Greats from '80s & '90s:Why Not Involved More w/ Team in Some Capacity?

(I searched and couldn't find a thread on this – I apologize in advance if I missed it.)

This is something I've been wondering about over the last few years: Why aren't some of the all-time Niner greats more involved with the team, be it as paid coaches, special advisors/consultants, or whatever? I'm not saying they should be as of course they should live their lives after football any way they choose...I'm just wondering if there's some reason that's keeping them at a distance (Denise York? more below).

If I was a team beat writer such as Barrows or Maiocco, this would be a story I'd do some investigative work on and get to the bottom of. Guys like Lott helping out with the DBs and offering incredible insight/coaching from his past experiences and successes, especially in helping out and inspiring the younger players on the team. Whenever I see footage of Lott addressing the team during his playing days, I get fired up! You could go on and on…Rice for the WR spot (Niners need all the help they can get at that position...and, who wouldn't listen to the greatest WR of all time?)...Young for the QBs (he's very smart and obviously very well-spoken...could easily articulate his thoughts and of course knows the game and the QB position like the back of his hand)...Brent Jones for the TEs (again, very well spoken, etc.)...Keena Turner for the LBs...there's more, and a lot of these guys are still right here in the Bay Area.

The only person from the team's past glory years involved with the team in coaching, etc., is Rathman. I do wonder if for some reason the Yorks want to completely separate the past from the current and future teams. If this is true, what a shame and what a waste. We know about the friction between Eddie D. and his sister. However, Jed was around the Niners a lot during his younger years w/ Eddie D. so he may have a different outlook than his mom and dad...maybe he could eventually bridge the past players with the current/future players going forward. Who knows...I can only hope.
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Nov 29, 2013 at 1:41 PM ]
  • ace52
  • Veteran
Rice wanted to be a consultant to help out our young WRs, but the FO didn't want his services.
it takes a special kind to be able to teach their greatness.
are you talking hands on coaching, or doing on things with the organization not involving coaching? if you're talking coaching it needs to be noted that many of the all time greats arent very good coaches. i know some can be but usually it doesnt work that way. look at our last 2 coaches, a bonehead HOFer who couldnt coach, then a journeyman average qb whos a great coach.
Originally posted by crabman82:
are you talking hands on coaching, or doing on things with the organization not involving coaching? if you're talking coaching it needs to be noted that many of the all time greats arent very good coaches. i know some can be but usually it doesnt work that way. look at our last 2 coaches, a bonehead HOFer who couldnt coach, then a journeyman average qb whos a great coach.

You're right, some of the all-time greats just can't coach at all. I'm talking about any kind of coaching, "special consulting", whatever it takes to get some of our former greats who can coach, who can articulate their thoughts to really help out our younger generation of players. When you hear Lott speak, you listen as he can be very motivational in my opinion. Plus, he's an ex-Niner and not an ex-Bear like Singletary - he was a key component of our dynasty past and that carries a lot of weight. I know he's already spent some time with our rookie S Reid (sounds like it was off the field)...who knows if he talked to him about changing up his tackling technique at the NFL level to help avoid future concussions? And, say what you want about Rice as an ESPN commentator...I know our WR corp would listen to him and guys like Baldwin and Patton could really benefit. I don't care if he just spends a day or two out on the field with them...I just think about the knowledge and experience he has to impart on others on the team regarding the position.
If Harbaugh wanted this to happen it would probably have happened. It's his program with his hand picked assistant coaches and he probably wants to keep it that way.
I could imagine there wouldn't be a lot of actual coaching going on. If there was they'd be coaches already.
lol.

80's NFL Great Mike Singletary

that's why!
i don't think fans understand that players have lives outside of football. especially retired ones
Ronnie Lott gave a motivational speech a few seasons ago before a big prime time against the Saints.......... but the speech was to the saints locker room not ours.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Originally posted by crabman82:

You're right, some of the all-time greats just can't coach at all. I'm talking about any kind of coaching, "special consulting", whatever it takes to get some of our former greats who can coach, who can articulate their thoughts to really help out our younger generation of players. When you hear Lott speak, you listen as he can be very motivational in my opinion. Plus, he's an ex-Niner and not an ex-Bear like Singletary - he was a key component of our dynasty past and that carries a lot of weight. I know he's already spent some time with our rookie S Reid (sounds like it was off the field)...who knows if he talked to him about changing up his tackling technique at the NFL level to help avoid future concussions? And, say what you want about Rice as an ESPN commentator...I know our WR corp would listen to him and guys like Baldwin and Patton could really benefit. I don't care if he just spends a day or two out on the field with them...I just think about the knowledge and experience he has to impart on others on the team regarding the position.

How do you know those guys don't have other things going on in their lives? Maybe they'd rather spend time doing something else. Steve Young is an analyst. Ronnie Lott owns several businesses. Jerry Rice has already offered his services.

Just because a guy was a great player doesn't mean he has to remain with the team in some capacity when his playing days are over. Maybe they don't want to be involved with football anymore.
Why would they? They are retired and trying to enjoy life after taking a beating from football. Spending quality time with their love ones before the beating their bodies took catch up to them. They paid their dues and now its time to reap the benefits.
They are bitter the League won't cover their multiple surgeries / disabilities

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/kroichick/article/Glory-has-its-price-25-years-later-the-heroes-2655062.php

Plus, York wanted to distance himself from Eddie after Denise took over the team

Plus, what everybody else said, why would they work for free
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
They are bitter the League won't cover their multiple surgeries / disabilities

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/kroichick/article/Glory-has-its-price-25-years-later-the-heroes-2655062.php

Plus, York wanted to distance himself from Eddie after Denise took over the team

Plus, what everybody else said, why would they work for free

this article was depressing. I'm 25, and I never played a game after high school. It already hurts for me to walk around the house and sometimes it's too much to walk around in the morning. I have to use crutches. I destroyed my knee in high school playing football. I wish I could go back and pick a different hobby. It doesn't sit well with me when I can't play with my son.

Won't be letting my kids play football.
The only two things I can think off are philosophy and conflict.