There are 154 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Fran Tarkenton Says Kaeperknick looks Confused?

Originally posted by barrymartin:
Originally posted by verb1der:
This year is is pocket passing school for Kaep. Next year will be total annihilation!

The rules changes that allowed defenders to hit the QB on read/option really changed the teams plans. That along with how fast defenses caught up to our schemes. Harbaugh and Roman weren't ready for these rapid shifts in the dynamics. While they were creative, they didn't realize how intelligent and creative the rest of the NFL is. Welcome to the big leagues guys.

So, they saw that Frank had to be the prime guy and went back to what worked for him..the I formation. But I feel they did this in a reactionary way, riding the pendulum from wanting to be a wide open, spread passing offense as they did in the Green Bay game to being the 60% run team they morphed into during the winning stretch against inferior competition.

They have to find a new way, one that is more like the really good teams like Green Bay, Pats, New Orleans use. It's a hybrid with a lot of spread sets, still running a lot out of them. We dont' have to be 60/40 pass/run like the rest of the league, but how about 55/45. We all know the game favors passing, and we can't go against the odds forever. We're finding this out this season. Frank doesn't do as well with this, but Frank's days are coming to a close.

I think they are going to figure out that Kap functions best out of the spread and shotgun. He's built for it. He learned the game this way, he's natural and he MUST become the heart of the offense not a running back. The teams that win perennially are teams centered around an elite QB. Kap can be that, but only if we build the offense strategy around him. We saw what he can do last year. That amazing talent/skill set is still there. It's just on hold because of what they are attempting to morph him into.

Think about a New Orleans or Patriot type offense. Add in LaMichael in a Sproles role with more Kendall(who knows and would be great in spread) and we have a formula for the future. Throw in Lattimore who is the power back also familiar with spread and you have a real three headed monster at the RB. Crabs, Boldin, Manningham and VD spread out with LaMichael or Kendall in the backfield. Can you imagine what that would do to defenses if they had to also watch for Kap to roll out and turn the corner. I just don't know you would defend that. It would stretch defenses every way imaginable. If we are going to be a top team continually we are going to have to go much more in this direction....

Completely agree with this. And it's what I fully expect next season!
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/fran-tarkenton-says-he-s-the-greatest-quarterback-ever-112013

he also believes he is the best QB ever!

although i took a shot at his playing style with my post above, he did leave the game as the all time leader in just about every qb stat. obviously the stats these days trump his from the 60's and 70's. but in his day, stat wise, he was the goat but didnt have the hardware like bradshaw or staubach.

you know you need the hardware to be the goat. He is the greatest scrambler of all time for sure imo

His best passing season he had 3,468 yds!!!! but he also had 32 ints.....

If we just look at stats, maybe Warren moon is the greatest of all time

he was playing in a total different era. this new age of passing has diluted people's views when they see those type of numbers these days. as far as needing hardware to be the goat, a lot of people think barry sanders is the greatest rb of all time. i dont think fran is the goat, just saying when he left the game he had all the records.

He did have some crazy stats for that era
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/fran-tarkenton-says-he-s-the-greatest-quarterback-ever-112013

he also believes he is the best QB ever!

although i took a shot at his playing style with my post above, he did leave the game as the all time leader in just about every qb stat. obviously the stats these days trump his from the 60's and 70's. but in his day, stat wise, he was the goat but didnt have the hardware like bradshaw or staubach.

you know you need the hardware to be the goat. He is the greatest scrambler of all time for sure imo

His best passing season he had 3,468 yds!!!! but he also had 32 ints.....

If we just look at stats, maybe Warren moon is the greatest of all time

he was playing in a total different era. this new age of passing has diluted people's views when they see those type of numbers these days. as far as needing hardware to be the goat, a lot of people think barry sanders is the greatest rb of all time. i dont think fran is the goat, just saying when he left the game he had all the records.

He did have some crazy stats for that era

He never had any superstar teammates on the offense with him , sure he had Sammy White, Ahmad Rashad, Chuck Foreman ...but he never had that superstar teammate that could have helped him get over the hump ....3 whacks at the superbowl and their smothering defense and offensive weapons on the roster always came up lame in the big game
Playing to their strength! You hear it over and over again, but yet a lot of coaches try to change a player and more often than not ... it fails.

Kaep is NOT a pocket passer! That is not his comfort zone. What's funny is that Jim Harbaugh drafted him for his running and escape-ability but now are trying to change the way he plays.

From the very beginning of the season, they were overly cautious with him ... afraid that he may get hurt ... so they try turn him into a pocket passer.
Additionally, they try and feed him too much information with this complex system. No wonder he looks confused.

Moreover, the 49er's front line are not pass blockers ... they're more geared to run blocking. That's pretty obvious in the way they get man-handled at the line when trying to protect the QB.
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Nov 27, 2013 at 10:20 AM ]
He's definitely confused in the pocket. That much is obvious.

even after the big win vs skins, young and dlfer were observing that kaepernick was missing the open rbs in the flat---

as far as the read option and the new rules which allow the qb to be hit i saw kansas state vs oklahoma saturday and kstate was passing off the read option---it might be something niniers could do and still provide kaepernick protection from being hit
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
"Fran"

add a K to that muthaf**ka

That's Incredible!
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
That's Incredible!

Holy crap, that just gave me a blast to the past moment. That show was awesome.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
"Fran"

add a K to that muthaf**ka

That's Incredible!

...I liked that show ...especially the episode when that dude caught a bullet with his teeth
Originally posted by verb1der:
This year is is pocket passing school for Kaep. Next year will be total annihilation!

This.
I do think CK is overloaded with info and he seems to hesitate and have a "I was told to keep this in mind" sort of moment where he stops and is thinking for a moment in the middle of a play instead of smoothly transitioning instinctively the way he knows he should on any given play.
Posted this in the Photoshop thread, but it works here too. GERO the Hutt, unchain the beast.

Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Playing to their strength! You hear it over and over again, but yet a lot of coaches try to change a player and more often than not ... it fails.

Kaep is NOT a pocket passer! That is not his comfort zone. What's funny is that Jim Harbaugh drafted him for his running and escape-ability but now are trying to change the way he plays.

From the very beginning of the season, they were overly cautious with him ... afraid that he may get hurt ... so they try turn him into a pocket passer.
Additionally, they try and feed him too much information with this complex system. No wonder he looks confused.

Moreover, the 49er's front line are not pass blockers ... they're more geared to run blocking. That's pretty obvious in the way they get man-handled at the line when trying to protect the QB.

Standing in the pocket, quickly going through progressions, and reading defenses is essential to a QBs long term success in the NFL. They're not Kap's strengths now, then they need to become his strengths in the long run. He must master them or at least become proficient if he wants to successful. He's not in his comfort zone, of course not. As another poster put it, he's in pocket passing school and while he's struggled and often looks confused, the full transition will certainly pay off not only for Kap but also the team.
I've been saying all season that Kaepernick looks like he's been "overcoached." IE.....he's been told not to run, told to stay in the pocket, he's heard stuff from so many people that now when he plays, he's over-thinking things rather than just reacting to what the defense is doing and letting it rip. You can see it in his expression and demeanor, he doesn't have the same confidence he did last season, I think they absolutely overloaded him and it had made things worse, not better.