There are 100 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 12: Thoughts after rewatching the game

1) Kap: Yes, it was encouraging. No, it wasn't a "yeah, he's back" moment. The entire offense still seems disjointed. Just not smooth. There were several things I saw from Kap tho that I liked.

He's starting to understand how to throw to Anquan Boldin. Even in the losses, there has been an increasing number of "back shoulder/throw to him even when covered" type throws. Anquan lives off those passes and Kap is starting to find him on those and learning where to place the ball to give Anquan a chance. I saw him check down a few times and I liked seing him find McDonald along the sideline instead of forcing it to Vernon down the seam. He may have been able to get that throw in there, but McDonald was a better option with the safety in the middle of the field. I liked the way he worked back to Anquan on Anquans second TD...but I have to admit, my heart stopped for a second when I saw him throw across his body and into a crowd.

He did make some mistakes tho. On the near pic 6, the RB was wide open. He never got his head all the way around to see him. I wanted to yell at him through my TV to look out in the flat, but my 3 year old was already wondering why I was talking to the TV. Kap's gotta work on that. He knows it tho. He's getting better.

2) "He doesn't have his weapons": OK, Trent Dilfer is getting on my nerves. LOL. I've liked him in the past, but he's starting to annoy me. John Gruden did the exact same thing last night. They say stuff like "what do you mean he has no weapons!?! They have Anquan Boldin and Vernon Davis! They have Manningham". Yes genius, I can read a roster sheet too. I'm aware of who they have. The question this year though is why isn't Kap playing like he did LAST year. The difference is that the guys that they have either can't stay healthy in the big games (Vernon), don't match the type of offensive football they played last year (Boldin, McDonald...more on that later), JUST got back from injury (Manningham), or simply can't play (everyone else).

The 49ers feasted on teams last year by threatening in the the run game and then living off play action. That worked GREAT because they had vertical threats all over the place, just not at classic positions...IE, not necesarily from the WRs. They could go to a strong run formation and still throw deep (and is a big reason Kaps average per attept last year was 8.3, highest in the NFL). If teams stacked the box, they ran the risk of a TE running right past them. They ran the risk of Crab breaking open.

This year, that risk no longer exists. Teams are stacking the box in unprecidented ways and the Niners just can't make them pay for it. Vernon gets hammered and doubled. Boldin gets eliminated by single coverage by decent man corners. When Vernon is out, Boldin is doubled. McDonald isn't getting vertical the way Delanie did. Say what you want about Delanie, but he caught SEVEN of Kaps 19 completions last year of over 20 yards. He led the team in yards per reception with over 16. YES, the 49ers have weapons in the passing game. They do NOT however completely match what the 49ers are built to do. Boldin was never supposed to be the teams #1 WR. He was brought in to be a complimentary player to Crab. Crab coming back can be HUGE. I don't expect him to suddenly light up the stat sheet. I don't expect Kap to start throwing for 400 yards a game. I expect teams to be forced to ACCOUNT for Crab the way they haven't all year. I expect him to make critical 3rd down catches. I expect him to force teams to not stack the box quite so much.

3) Roman: All of the above is why I am not so critical of Roman. Yes, I see it too....2TE, 1 WR and 2 RBs. Plays where there are only 1 or 2 viable targets in the passing game and the rest are decoys. I get it. BTW, don't think there aren't other teams who run plays with only 1 or 2 viable targets. The reason I am not so down on him tho is that THIS OFFENSE WORKED. WELL. Have defenses countered some of what they do? Yes. Should he adapt back with the personnel he has now? Yes. I believe tho that this offense is viable and will work when defenses have something to fear if they stack the box. Kap needs to play better and learn how to get through his reads faster. The receivers need to be better and Roman needs to adapt better. Everyone has a hand in this.

4) Whitner: Ya know what? I was very critical of Goldson when he was here. In those comments I would usually say tho that Whitner is no better. This year tho? I might have to back off that a bit. He's playing really well. He's been doing it all year but I kept expecting it to stop. I keep waiting to see him get exposed in the passing game. It's not happening. I think he deserves his due...he's played well this year.

5) Brooks: Dude needs to make the Pro Bowl. The forgotten member of the LB corps is having himself a hell of a season.

6) Aldon: Heeeeeee's baaaaaaaaaack! :) He looked a bit sluggish in his first week, no better last week (illness may have been the problem), and at the beginning of the game I was wondering if he was gonna be the same guy again this year...and then came that first sack. WOW. He looked lik he was shot out of a cannon. I dunno if he'd seen something on film or what, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a guy not named Jadeveon Clowney get into the backfield that fast. He also played the run very well and wasn't buying any of the play action from RGIII.

7) Willis-Bowman: Wow.

8) LaMichael James: Glad to see him on the active roster. Just as Washingtons D sucks, so do their coverage units. Still tho, this is 2 weeks where he's had a bit of a spark on returns. Its an adventure sometimes because he's still clearly learning, but it's not like we didn't hold our breath every time Kyle was back there. I also like that him suiting up on gameday gives them the option to play on offense a bit. I still really like the kid and think he has a future.

9) Lattimore: This actually has nothing to do with the game itself, but more just about seeing Marcus Lattimore on the sideline. I dunno if the kid will ever make it all the way back, but seeing pic of him practicing for the first time was just awesome. I have no idea what to expect from him next year. Maybe he becomes a perennial All-Pro. Maybe he doesn't make the team next year. Who knows. I just know that I love he's getting a shot and that it's in SF.

10) Playoffs: These last 5 weeks have gotten interesting. Who would have thought before the season that the Monday night game vs Atlanta would look like the EASIEST game left on the schedule with 5 games remaining. The Rams are on a bit of a roll. The Seahawks are the Seahawks. The Bucs have just ripped off 3 straight. The Cards are 7-4 (how did THAT happen. LOL). It may not be an easy road, but I think the Niners get in with that 6th seed. I think they end up playing Detroit in Detroit and then go to Seattle. While I would much rather play them at the 'stick...there is some small part of me that would just love to go into Seattle and tear their fans hearts out. ;-) Winning that game would likely send them into New Orleans. Detroit, Seattle, New Orleans. All on the road. None set in stone obviously, but thats what we might be looking at.

Sounds like fun. :-)

EDIT: Oh yeah...one more thing I wanted to mention on Kap. Dude...if it's 3rd and 2 and you are scrambling out of the pocket, you don't ALWAYS need to keep your eyes downfield. Just go get the thing. You don't need to wait till the last possible second when the LB has closed the gap and made it impossible for you to run for the first down. Small thing...but seeing it alot lately.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM ]
yeah no excuse for missing that rb wide open in the flat, i know his back was turned but you dont pass up that to toss it into double coverage.
I did not get a chance to watch the game, but did Washington just stack the box trying to make Kaep throw? I was surprised at how few attempts Gore had in the first half.
Originally posted by crabman82:
yeah no excuse for missing that rb wide open in the flat, i know his back was turned but you dont pass up that to toss it into double coverage.

Every QB makes mistakes blatant mistakes in games. Whether it's missing a read, or throwing a pick, or missing an easy throw. You could see that he knew he missed it. Overall, he played a really good game, in a game our running game generating very little, yet again.
Originally posted by Hayes4Dayes:
I did not get a chance to watch the game, but did Washington just stack the box trying to make Kaep throw? I was surprised at how few attempts Gore had in the first half.

For the most part. They challenged Kap to beat them by selling out to stop the run.
Originally posted by AmpLee:

Every QB makes mistakes blatant mistakes in games. Whether it's missing a read, or throwing a pick, or missing an easy throw. You could see that he knew he missed it. Overall, he played a really good game, in a game our running game generating very little, yet again.

obviously nobody is perfect, but i dont like how he doesnt dump it off to the rb's in the flat enough. if you're gonna hit some 30 yard pass, yeah alright, but to toss it in double coverage and almost a pick when the dude behind you is wide open, its concerning to me. i would not be as concerned had i seen a good track record of dump offs to the rb's with him.

we dominated in every way..idk if its just me but I realize kap isn't perfect n only has maybe 20 starts under his belt..name me 1 qb 20 games into his career that is better then kap..? hes basically a season plus into his career..give the man some slack..damn he had a great game..threw the ball with crazy velocity n accuracy more times then he made bad passes...cmon now..
Originally posted by AmpLee:

obviously nobody is perfect, but i dont like how he doesnt dump it off to the rb's in the flat enough. if you're gonna hit some 30 yard pass, yeah alright, but to toss it in double coverage and almost a pick when the dude behind you is wide open, its concerning to me. i would not be as concerned had i seen a good track record of dump offs to the rb's with him.

Yeah...if you watch his eyes, he was clearly scanning the field but never got his eyes all the way over to the back. He instead worked back to one of his prior reads and never should have thrown the ball.

He'll see that on film tho. Every game is a learning experience and he'll get just a bit better every game.
Originally posted by jersey49er:

we dominated in every way..idk if its just me but I realize kap isn't perfect n only has maybe 20 starts under his belt..name me 1 qb 20 games into his career that is better then kap..? hes basically a season plus into his career..give the man some slack..damn he had a great game..threw the ball with crazy velocity n accuracy more times then he made bad passes...cmon now..

I agree with your general point but on the bolded?

Be prepared for a long list. Be careful what you ask for.

he played pretty good, but i didnt like that one play. whats wrong with me expressing how i felt about it? as far as slack goes, there isnt much to give in a super bowl or bust type of season. he'll be around a while on this team, not everyone else will.
I agree with all points, but I actually loved Gruden's comment. You are right about us having the vertical threats last year. Delanie in particular has been overlooked by the national media. Although, now that we have seen recent game film and heard from the game film experts, we know that he has missed open guys. Not necessarily vertically, but there have been different options open. I understand us fans getting upset over that comment because we are obviously biased, but nothing wrong with the comment IMO. And Dilfer has been on point also. He is a good analyst.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

I agree with your general point but on the bolded?

Be prepared for a long list. Be careful what you ask for.

ok ok let me rephrase my statement..question..name me 1 qb who 20 games into his career that has been better and still has more potential then him..sky is the limit for kap..lol
Regarding 1), 2) 3), I am in disagreement. We did our usual in mauling a doormat. Our run offense was inconsistent, our pass offense did not look sharp, decisive, well paced, confident. None of those things. We trotted out the same long ball ideas -- we won yesterday because VD can't be covered by skin secondary + Bolding can outmuscle anyone on skin secondary. Nothing new. What's becoming more apparent are the missed reads by kap to check down receivers out of the backfield -- also his hesitation in making plays -- whatever they may be -- taking off on a scramble, just taking the open space on a safety valve, or trying to find a lane in a collapsing pocket.

Someone in another thread said he looked hurt -- like he just can't move the way he did last year -- I wonder if that's right.

However, the playcalling is not helping him any. It's so predictable. Hunter in? It's going wide. Kap turns around with Gore in the backfield -- a handoff between the tackles. Nothing weird off a fake, very little of that. I think one problem is that our tells are so obvious, teams overload and breakdown a play with very little caution. They know we run out of the Jumbo 95% of the time. And they other 5% are bombs to whoever. We can't beat tells like that.

In fact, I wonder if the whole idea of our package offense is kind of turning into a giant tell. We need to execute plays from formations where we can do maybe 2 or 3 different things equally if we want to keep the second level off the line for 1.5 seconds. Now, they are like .5 yards deep in the backfield at 1.5 seconds so the play is broken down often. I don't know.

I really didn't get a sense that yesterday was a renaissance game for our offensive scheme or Kap.

Fortunately, if ALdon + Brooks + lemonhead can play at the higher level, we will start to get our sacks. then we really wont give up more than 3 scores a game. Maybe we can get by on that.

Justin had a good game too. I think Vic is starting to mix it up. No more 3 man rushes!!
Originally posted by sacniner:
I agree with all points, but I actually loved Gruden's comment. You are right about us having the vertical threats last year. Delanie in particular has been overlooked by the national media. Although, now that we have seen recent game film and heard from the game film experts, we know that he has missed open guys. Not necessarily vertically, but there have been different options open. I understand us fans getting upset over that comment because we are obviously biased, but nothing wrong with the comment IMO. And Dilfer has been on point also. He is a good analyst.

Wasn't suggesting he hasn't missed guys.

My point all along that its several things, not any ONE thing that is the difference. He's missing his second reads because last year he seldom even had to look to a second read. Why? They had different personnel and Roman was able to give him some great looks at players running wide open.

Thats a function of the scheme working, personnel that could challenge vertically, and a QB with a huge and accurate arm.

Whats changed? Personnel. While the guys they have no aren't terrible, they are DIFFERENT than what they had last year.

Example, Would I take Tony Gonzales in his prime over Vernon right now? No. Without a second thought I take Vernon. Is it because I think Vernon is so much better than Tony was? Not even close. Tony was better. Vernon tho presents a challenge to defenses that the 49ers need BADLY. He can challenge vertically at a TE. He allows yoy to line up in power formations and still throw deep. When they had Delanie they has TWO guys who could do that. When they had 2, you could have 2 TEs running 4.4 and a safety who was forced to make a choice.

That doesn't exist right now in this offense.

Don't be surprised if they look fior a burner of a TE in the draft.
You know, the one thing that has struck me the last three weeks (other than yell "DON'T RUN UP THE GUT ON EVERY FIRST DOWN!!!") is how our run blocking seems to have taken lots of backward steps. Yes, teams are stacking the box, yadda, yadda, yadda, but they did that last year and the year before, and Frank (and on occasion Hunter) still ripped off a few big runs. Heck, it was like that during our 5 game winning streak this year. Yesterday it seemed that our OL would get swallowed immediately, and too often Frank got tackled by the backside defender.

Screen passes are things that still happen to other people. Does Roman have some religious thing against screens? Kaep still makes some bizarre reads sometimes. On the credit side, he called plays in a timely manner, and we even did that no huddle thing that Roman also seems to believe is evil and should never be attempted.

Overall, we defeated a pretty bad team. They all count of course, but we have a lot to fix just to get to the playoffs. The D is already playing at a championship level, and ST are better than solid (if only that were true in last year's playoffs )