There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Passing game is gonna have to set up the run from here on out..

It's absolutely mind boggling to me why we don't run basic slants and screen passes. Put James in the slot a la Darren sproles and let him go to work, I don't think we've even run that play once this year. Roman absolutely sucks calling plays that fit our personnel.
Hopefully the can because it looks like Gore is bothered by something.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Astute observation, the pass is there on first down. Coach Walsh used to pass early and run late.

For Walsh...the short passing game was like a running game, and it was often the back who were the receivers....the short pass was like a long handoff basically.

Harbaugh needs to stop wasting Kap's time with the Read Option and the Pistol, and spend more time teaching the basics of the WCO. Footwork, timing, going through reads/progressions. I don't think Kap knows any of this stuff. And that is no one's fault but Harbaugh's.
Originally posted by dave1003:
It's absolutely mind boggling to me why we don't run basic slants and screen passes. Put James in the slot a la Darren sproles and let him go to work, I don't think we've even run that play once this year. Roman absolutely sucks calling plays that fit our personnel.

This has been one of the most frustrating things this season. The fact that we have to utilized James has been incredibly frustrating. The dude can make plays and we haven't gotten him the ball nearly enough!
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Astute observation, the pass is there on first down. Coach Walsh used to pass early and run late.

For Walsh...the short passing game was like a running game, and it was often the back who were the receivers....the short pass was like a long handoff basically.

Harbaugh needs to stop wasting Kap's time with the Read Option and the Pistol, and spend more time teaching the basics of the WCO. Footwork, timing, going through reads/progressions. I don't think Kap knows any of this stuff. And that is no one's fault but Harbaugh's.

Exactly.. Why we don't utilize Hunter and James with the short passing your game is beyond comprehension..
Member Milestone: This is post number 200 for Mann716.
I agree with everyone that hates how roman runs on every first down. But i have to believe that there's a audible to a pass play that kaep can call at the LOS. Kaep is to blame too IMO. I was waiting for that audible all night. And kaep needs to learn how to check the ball down too.
I disagree philosophically. If this is about passing or running or 1st down that's one thing. I also recognize we are playing good run defenses the rest of the year. But the truth is teams are going to stack the box and we have to be able to take advantage of that. Seattle will not be beat with a pass first game plan. You have to run at those DBs and make them tackle you. To me we need to work on SELLING play pass. Kaep phones in the fake alot. We also need to take advantage of the opportunities we will have. But ultimately we can't get away from the run as our base. Especially against seattle. They are a smaller faster D and you want to be able to rough up those DBs in the run game, be it running at them or just letting our receiever wear on them blocking wise.
Originally posted by VA49er:
I disagree philosophically. If this is about passing or running or 1st down that's one thing. I also recognize we are playing good run defenses the rest of the year. But the truth is teams are going to stack the box and we have to be able to take advantage of that. Seattle will not be beat with a pass first game plan. You have to run at those DBs and make them tackle you. To me we need to work on SELLING play pass. Kaep phones in the fake alot. We also need to take advantage of the opportunities we will have. But ultimately we can't get away from the run as our base. Especially against seattle. They are a smaller faster D and you want to be able to rough up those DBs in the run game, be it running at them or just letting our receiever wear on them blocking wise.

I agree with this more. We should still be running, but we need to make it not so obvious.
the 1st play of the game (run up the middle into the pile for 1 yard) is so obvious and brutal. If you want to run the ball and not face 8 or 9 in the box, line up 3 or 4 wide THEN run the ball up the gut. Its too hard lining up 1 WR with everyone else blocking. that puts 10 in the box and we gain anywhere from -2 to +2 per carry.

I am happy with the win, but Washington is terrible and we still have to play a lot better offensively to beat the better teams in this league. Arizona will be a good challenge for our offense.
I agree .....once we stop them from loading up the box, the running game will flourish .....I was surprised how effective the quick slant was...felt like the 80's again
Originally posted by VA49er:
I disagree philosophically. If this is about passing or running or 1st down that's one thing. I also recognize we are playing good run defenses the rest of the year. But the truth is teams are going to stack the box and we have to be able to take advantage of that. Seattle will not be beat with a pass first game plan. You have to run at those DBs and make them tackle you. To me we need to work on SELLING play pass. Kaep phones in the fake alot. We also need to take advantage of the opportunities we will have. But ultimately we can't get away from the run as our base. Especially against seattle. They are a smaller faster D and you want to be able to rough up those DBs in the run game, be it running at them or just letting our receiever wear on them blocking wise.

I would do what Gronkowski did against the Broncos. He'd run right straight into the DB's and really rock them, then make a quick turn and catch the ball. We can do that with Vernon, McDonald and Boldin. They're all physical beasts. I actually believe that could be the best way to beat Sherman and the Seahawks. Give them their own medicine back. Physically intimidate them. I just don't think they would be ready for that.
Instead of more play action, I saw a couple of draw plays. Are you trying to be ironic Roman? Throw the damn ball until they unload the box!
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by VA49er:
I disagree philosophically. If this is about passing or running or 1st down that's one thing. I also recognize we are playing good run defenses the rest of the year. But the truth is teams are going to stack the box and we have to be able to take advantage of that. Seattle will not be beat with a pass first game plan. You have to run at those DBs and make them tackle you. To me we need to work on SELLING play pass. Kaep phones in the fake alot. We also need to take advantage of the opportunities we will have. But ultimately we can't get away from the run as our base. Especially against seattle. They are a smaller faster D and you want to be able to rough up those DBs in the run game, be it running at them or just letting our receiever wear on them blocking wise.

I agree with this more. We should still be running, but we need to make it not so obvious.

Agree with the bolded. I can't recall much of Gore running draws out of spread alignments. I want to say that it worked a few times versus TEN (or was it CAR?), but can't be positive. How about trying to run out of a conventional 2RB/1TE/2WR personnel, but with VD lined up as a WR to make it look like a 3WR set, then run Gore out of that? Miller is still in the game to give it the power run look. Eliminate Vance who is not an accomplished route runner and force the defense to widen itself. No way they stack 8 in the box with VD/Ham lined up wide along with Boldin. It's not going to hit for 10 yards, but a nice 4 yards is better than what they've been producing on 1st down runs.
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
Hopefully the can because it looks like Gore is bothered by something.

He is ... it is called 8 and 9 men in the box.
Said it last week and it rang true this week. Gore 15 rushes 42 yards, Dix 8-30, Hunter 3-7.. Overall a very pedestrian day for the run game. It's not gonna get any easier from here on out. Passing game did show some life. Would like to see some diversity from the run game.