There are 224 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does the league have something against us?

Originally posted by solidg2000:
They call us whiners cause it rhymes with niners duh
And we always get tons if calls against us

The catch 2 was the biggest call in out favor
But I remember getting screwed time and time again every time we played the packers

We got screwed in the 80s and where robbed of our perfect season
We were screwed the last SB, east coast bias

Catch 2 we benefited from but remember, no replay that year.

No way that happens in 2013.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
do you guys remember a game back in the day 90's. pretty sure it was a playoff game. on the road. the pass went to rice, he could not make the catch in the end zone. he looked at the ref and signaled for the flag to come out. OMG as if obeying orders, the ref reached in tossed the flag and the crowd went totally apes**t!!! have no memory of exact year or where it was but that exchange between rice and the ref was priceless and the crowd reaction was violent
Originally posted by bpg4980:
No. It's just bad luck. There are bad calls, bad rules, and bad enforcement of those rules all the time. We got screwed much worse on the biggest stage in the SB - with blatant double hold in the middle of the field on the 108 yard kick return, the Crabtree non-call, and Ed Reed being clearly offsides on the 2 pt conversion that would have allowed us to tie the game with a FG instead of going for it on 4th and goal with the Crabtree non-call. Still, I don't believe for a second the NFL or officials have any bias. They just screw up too much, and teams need to be able to challenge game changing calls like PI and personal fouls where possession is changed. Maybe just one a game so it's not excessive. But if you want to challenge that instead of a guy's feet being in bounds or whatever, that should be your call. The reason there needs to be a way to get a ball call correct is there are only 16 games in football. You could argue that one regular season basketball/baseball/hockey game doesn't mean that much. But in football one game is OFTEN the difference in home field, making the playoffs etc. We got screwed and we have been getting screwed too much recently, but I haven't ever felt like there is a bias. If the NFL or even one officials ever got caught rigging games or showing bias there would be too big of a price to pay to risk all the fans that felt like they couldn't believe what they saw was legit. Although the rules are getting so soft they are surely losing some fans already.

I am mad about the Brooks call/rule and totally disagree with it. Still, we have to find a way to win that game even with the bad call. Because in any game where you are the beneficiary of the worst rule in the history of sports, you have to be able to find a way to win. The fumble out of the end zone rule where the team that fumbles automatically loses possession and nearly 20 yards of field position without the opponent even recovering the ball is so beyond stupid and unfair. It is completely laughable that rule hasn't been changed. If you wanted to make the fumbling team pay, make the ball go back to the 20 and include a loss of the down. Even that would be totally ridiculous. But why do we get the ball and 20 yards when when NO fumbles and we don't recover? Because they didn't recover either? A fumble out of bounds carries no penalty anywhere else on the field. As bad of enforcement of the rule as the Brooks call was, at least there is some kind of reason for that call as it helps protect QB's, the NFL's biggest draws. The touchback rule makes no sense whatsoever.

If this was the way it was, Jerry Rice's fumble on the 49ers opening possession of the '86 divisional playoff game versus the Giants would have retained the ball to the offense instead of a touchback for the Giants (who drove down the field for a TD with lots of momentum compared to their first drive).

As it was, we lose 49-3 but I tend to feel that momentum shifts in huge games can be pretty crazy.

Had Kaepernick not been picked off on the goal line against the Hawks on the 2nd drive, I'd imagine the game would have went a lot differently.

So while I tend to agree with what you're saying about punishing the defense in such a scenario, you'd have to do the same for an offensive player doing the same thing.
i think the league wants the weakhawks to win it this year. look at their schedule, nice breaks between thursday-monday night game, late bye week etc.
...conspiracy against a team that can't muster up 200 yards on offense.
Absolutely! If you study the way the calls are going against the 49ers, not just calls made against their players but also calls not made against opposing teams - especially in Seattle and New Orleans - I think it is fair to say that many officials are on the take. It's easy to deny that as a possibility and say that I am just a homer, but seriously, when you consider the extreme amount of money made on these games through gambling - both legitimate and otherwise - it makes perfect sense that officials have been corrupted; not all but many of them. Seattle players regularly are not called for penalties that are called on opposing teams (in Seattle, that is). The Saints game clearly showed an official bias for the home team; the hit on Kap when he went out of bounds was not called; the almost exact same hit on Brees was called! It is naive to think that those are "just the breaks".

As far as I am concerned, those two teams are dirty. They can only win by giving themselves an edge through bribery of officials.

When you consider that it has been made blasphemy to bad-mouth any officials - that whatever officials do is above reproach - and the officials know it; when you consider that, it should be no surprise that those same officials realize they have a golden opportunity to accept bribes to supplement their earnings, knowing that they will get away with whatever they do. To suggest this is NOT happening is naive at best, and complicit at worst.
On a side note I do believe the NFL is guilty of using the Refs as a ratings tool. Those controversial calls get websites a lot of hits and get people tuning into radio and television shows. The league has WAY too many rules, not to mention most of these rules are not static. Far worse stuff happens in this world, I could see the NFL pulling strings here and there to put a team over the top. If that's not the case then they need to implement instant replay on some calls, espc roughing the passer calls.
I don't think it's a conspiracy quote un quote, but if your a ref and another ref throws a flag that could help New england win and you have $10,000 on the Panthers, you would be more inclined to say "There is no foul on the play... GAME OVER."
Guess the Niners should start practicing with LaMichael James in the QB position, so they can learn how to "properly" tackle midget quarterbacks.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:

They are the reason for not passing that mark
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
yes its not like teams need the refs help to stop us
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

They are the reason for not passing that mark
oh please that belongs with "hitler is still alive"
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by GoldenChips:
The 49ers should hire someone who has an "in" with the league.... sort of like a lobbyist who can grease the skids for us. Maybe that will ease the bad calls on the team.

jesus f**king christ

Merton Hanks
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by GoldenChips:
The 49ers should hire someone who has an "in" with the league.... sort of like a lobbyist who can grease the skids for us. Maybe that will ease the bad calls on the team.

jesus f**king christ

Merton Hanks
i thought everyone loved merton and now they hate him. we do eat our own