There are 79 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

After the Ahmad Brooks sack and fumble...

After the Ahmad Brooks sack, fumble and controversial penalty, I am losing interest in this game. From the non-calls, questionable calls, rules relating to the crown of the helmet, phantom calls, defenseless players, horse collars, hitting a quarterback, pass interference and rules that no one seems to understand and refs that don't apply them evenly, I have lost interest in this game. Looking back on last year's Seattle/Packers last second play to last night's Patriots/Panthers game, this game is getting way too complicated. They may say that "the NFL's voice is the only one that matters," I choose to take my money and time elsewhere. The sponsors and advertisers should take note. I used to love this game.

"Meanwhile, the officials and league may have sided with New Orleans on the call, but much of the United States did not. In an ESPN SportsNation poll, only two states voted that they believe the officials made the right call -- Louisiana and neighboring Mississippi.

While readers across of the nation have spoken, the NFL's voice is the only one that matters."

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/2692/brooks-brees-fallout-continues
you're bent because we lost. you'll be back on the trains after another W.
Who cares, nothing can be done about it now. It's just a byproduct of what the NFL is morphing into.
The op has a point. The refs are the focal point of the game, not the players. I know the ref's names better than the players. Every time a pass is incomplete, i immediately ask, "is that a flag?" It's ridiculous that the amount of flags being thrown. While i agree with the horse collar rule, everything else the op listed is true. And i know the league is being sued, but as players, they choose to collect the millions AND THEN try to sue the league later on in life? The nfl is soft and a weaker product. I don't even watch MNF or TNF anymore because of these candy assed rules! And I actually do other things around the house or actually go outside when football is on sundays.....I'm losing interest FAST.
The coaches and owners need to check the NFL and dumb refs by implementing challengeable penalties. Using the same exact method for challenging a play. I do not care if it makes the games longer. Refs have too much power right now. Think checks and balances.
Nothing wrong with feeling deflated as a fan (esp. after the Superbowl and the NFL's "last ride"). If any Pats fan wants to see a real hold, go watch the final play of the Superbowl that even Sport Science highlighted as proof Crabtree would have easily caught the TD (in fact, he would have had to slow down to stay in the EZ). Hell, our own players were absolutely deflated after that PF Brooks call. Was there ANY doubt to anyone we'd lose after that call? It's human nature.
Why are so many people opening new threads to say how they have lost interest on the game, or are so offended by the ref'ing they will never watch it again?

If you aren't going to watch the sport again, why tell us? Just go away and find another hobby.

Bad times always shake out the fair weather fans.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Anyone know if there is a petition. If we take every fan that is pissed a Goodell and the League and boycott the Nfl for one weekend how much money do you think the league would loose. There is a lot of talk about how games are becoming unwatchable and it's not till pockets start hurting that the owners and league will fix this mess. They are killing a game I love.
Originally posted by English:
Why are so many people opening new threads to say how they have lost interest on the game, or are so offended by the ref'ing they will never watch it again?

If you aren't going to watch the sport again, why tell us? Just go away and find another hobby.

Bad times always shake out the fair weather fans.

i'm not gonna watch this sport anymore, so i'll take to the internet to announce it. LOL just own it, you guys arent going anywhere. as a fan i've adjusted the lens i view the game through to jive with the new rules. i dont agree with all of them per say, but i'm not left pondering my long term viability of watching this sport week in and week out.
the NFL better give us that win back and then some !!!!
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by contrarios:
After the Ahmad Brooks sack, fumble and controversial penalty, I am losing interest in this game. From the non-calls, questionable calls, rules relating to the crown of the helmet, phantom calls, defenseless players, horse collars, hitting a quarterback, pass interference and rules that no one seems to understand and refs that don't apply them evenly, I have lost interest in this game. Looking back on last year's Seattle/Packers last second play to last night's Patriots/Panthers game, this game is getting way too complicated. They may say that "the NFL's voice is the only one that matters," I choose to take my money and time elsewhere. The sponsors and advertisers should take note. I used to love this game.

"Meanwhile, the officials and league may have sided with New Orleans on the call, but much of the United States did not. In an ESPN SportsNation poll, only two states voted that they believe the officials made the right call -- Louisiana and neighboring Mississippi.

While readers across of the nation have spoken, the NFL's voice is the only one that matters."

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/2692/brooks-brees-fallout-continues
Lol...because the refs always called games even and without controversy until the last couple of years...Go back to the 70's and early 80's Immaculate Reception, Holy Roller or, more recently, the conclusion of the 49ers-Giants playoff game in Mooch's last year...Jerry Rice's non-fumble in the "The Catch 2" game. This isn't anything new. The calls might be different because of the greater emphasis on safety but the refs missing calls or making controversial calls is nothing new. And, it happens at least as frequently in MLB and the NBA as well.

Lets be intellectually honest, if the refs in the Saints game pick up that flag and let the sack fumble stand, you aren't complaining and starting this thread. You're probably starting a thread about how the refs got it right and why Saints fans are a bunch of whiners. It was a close call either way. I think it was legal but if it had gone the other way, I could understand the Saints fans feeling the same way most 49er fans do today about it.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
free thread
I like turtles
can we get over this call...we lost despite being handed 21pts by the saints.

this call had VERY LITTLE to do w/ why we lost