LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 203 users in the forums

Mangini and the Offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It's frustrating to see a game like yesterday and against Carolina where the offense looks like an Audi sport but drive like a Yugo. I know Eric Mangini was brought in to provide consultantion to better prepare the 49ers offense againts opponents defense. But, I think his input and presense are making Roman's plan and how they want to use Kaep confusing. It looks like I'm watching a pre-season offense. There are just too many chefs in the kitchen. The 49ers need to let Kaep play to his strength and screw practicing passing from the pocket. He needs to play at what he does best. Right now, I see tentative and indicisive quaterbacking play. A sputtering offense. Something is messing with his mind. I'm not sure what it is, but I really think Mangini's presence is not helping the 49ers offense. What do you guys think?
I think it's a mistake to say screw passing from the pocket. Kap MUST learn to be a pocket passer. If he is incapable of doing so, he will fail in this league and we need to move on. Pocket passing must become his strength. It's time to graduate and play big boy football. There is no way around it. To ignore it is just delaying the inevitable.

The pistol read-option might be his comfort zone, and it can still be effective in certain situations as a form of deception, but to base your entire offense around it is a recipe for failure. It is a college offense that got figured out in a big way. DE's and LB's are no longer confused by the play fake. Kap must go through these growing pains and become a multi-read pocket passer.

I really don't know what Mangini brings to the table. He's supposed to consult the offense by giving his perspective on how defenses will scheme to stop us. Well, this is the worst offensive team we've had since '07 when Hostler was running the show. So while it might not be Mangini's fault, he certainly isn't helping in any way. He's dead weight, just another body in the room with a worthless opinion.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Nov 18, 2013 at 4:25 PM ]
mangini is the fall guy brought it to be thrown out if things dont go well so harbs can point to letting him go and save roman.,
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I think it's a mistake to say screw passing from the pocket. Kap MUST learn to be a pocket passer. If he is incapable of doing so, he will fail in this league and we need to move on. Pocket passing must become his strength. It's time to graduate and play big boy football. There is no way around it. To ignore it is just delaying the inevitable.

The pistol read-option might be his comfort zone, and it can still be effective in certain situations as a form of deception, but to base your entire offense around it is a recipe for failure. It is a college offense that got figured out in a big way. DE's and LB's are no longer confused by the play fake. Kap must go through these growing pains and become a multi-read pocket passer.

I really don't know what Mangini brings to the table. He's supposed to consult the offense by giving his perspective on how defenses will scheme to stop us. Well, this is the worst offensive team we've had since '07 when Hostler was running the show. So while it might not be Mangini's fault, he certainly isn't helping in any way. He's dead weight, just another body in the room with a worthless opinion.
Kaep has a unique set of skills and he must use it. He is not Manning, Brady or Bress. He can stay in the pocket for a few seconds and if nothing is open he must run and keep the chain moving. As a qua.rterback, his job is to move the chain. He either dumps off as quickly as possible or he takes off. If we want a pocket passer then we 49ers should have kept Smth. Right now, he is playing like Alex and I blame this on the coaching staff.
[ Edited by MrCrab49ers on Nov 19, 2013 at 12:44 AM ]
Originally posted by crabman82:
mangini is the fall guy brought it to be thrown out if things dont go well so harbs can point to letting him go and save roman.,

Something is not right with Kaep. He is not playing like last year. Something is confusing him.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by MrCrab49ers:

Something is not right with Kaep. He is not playing like last year. Something is confusing him.

the magnets in those big ass headphones are frying his brain.
maybe too many fingers in the pie when plays are being put together.
[ Edited by ace49ers on Nov 19, 2013 at 9:30 AM ]

because he's not being coached like he was last year he's being restricted.

he isn't being dynamic or a play maker if he's allowed to truly trust his reads and instincts we see what he can do.

when he is over coached...well you see the results
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

the magnets in those big ass headphones are frying his brain.

Haha
8/9 in the box on first downs. Is Mangini screaming to Roman about this? Or has Roman decide Kap is so unreliable that this is a good move?

My wife is tiring me from screaming every first down "don't give it to Gore up the middle". Then screaming "not again".

Take a couple shots down the field (like Baldwin in Saints game). I will take a 25% chance to hit a long play off first down rather than 100%.....1 yd gain.

Share 49ersWebzone