LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 305 users in the forums

Harbaugh needs to clean house after this season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by luis1985:
I say get rid of all the offensive staff. Hire formal 49er players to coach like Jerry Rice. Get a real OC that is creative and knows WCO.

Only one that should stay is our RB coach since he was a 49er.

X2
Originally posted by bigmur49:
I hope John Harbaugh has called Jim and reminded him of how the Ravens changed their entire season last year by having the guts to replace the OC during the year. They were dead in the water and then suddenly turned it around. I would be in favor of that at this point.

So would I. John Harbaugh fired his friend, it's time for Jim to do the same with Roman.
Originally posted by denali22:
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
stop it.

the defense is fine. did you see what the saints did to the coybows last week and what they couldn't do against us?

lol

don't say a word about the defense. the defense held the panthers to 10 points

and the saints to really 20 but we'll call it 23

drew brees had 1 td pass and 1int

you're supposed to win games like that

russel wilson had 150 yards passing 1td 1int you're supposed to win games when that happens

luck had 150 yards and no td passes you're supposed to win when that happens

he needs to clean house offensively NOW

not wait until this season is over

do it
now.

Sorry, but I dont see where you think the defense is fine either. Brees averaged 10 yards per pass play, completing almost 70% of his passes. Holding them to 23 points isnt something to brag about. But if you compare them to other games that the saints have played, sure it might've looked like it came in our favor. However, thats because of the talent of our defensive players, I wouldn't credit Fangio with that. When I watch other teams, I see a defensive scheme. When I watch our team, It feels like guys are just roaming around, hoping for an INT. There's no pressure on the QB, there's no stunt blitzing, there's no sort of anything really. Just either zone or man. It's awful.

I think the best way to judge a defense is to look at the point differential in the final score of games. We lost to Carolina by 1 point. We lost to the Saints by 3 points. These games have not been blowouts, but rather, they've been within reach and that is the minimum you should be expecting. Our offense on the other hand was not able to capitalize on the close match ups we've had and that's where the problem is, not the defense. If you recall Bree's' performances against other prior match ups leading into this game, Brees was on fire destroying other defenses. You can't ask a defense to do more against guys like Bree's, Manning, Brady, Rodgers, but you can ask your defense to keep you within reach and allow the offense to seal the deal.
Roman and Morton need to go. Crabtree developed in spite of Morton.
Originally posted by Wrathman:

100% agree. And if Harbaugh himself is in bed with this college-offensive mindset, he needs to either 1) Go back to college or 2) Hire a real professional OC and leave him alone (like he does with Fangio).
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
I say get rid of all the offensive staff. Hire formal 49er players to coach like Jerry Rice. Get a real OC that is creative and knows WCO.

X2
great players do not make great coaches. that is just emotional blather. just because rice was a great player does not mean you take a chance and give him the keys,, you also need to do something on defense to stop this s**t of people always picking up third downs on us because we go soft at crunch time. the coaches act they are scared ,what the hell kind of message does that send to the players
This is a good article.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1856500-san-francisco-49ers-5-reasons-greg-roman-should-be-on-the-hot-seat/page/6
Our offensive coaching staff is horrible. They do not develop players. They have no imagination...and they never have. They have turned Kap into a poor man's Alex Smith. Our Oline is horrible and not getting better, it is getting worse. Despite the medias parroting our Oline has never "moved" people around. We get zero push at the point of attack by Boone, Iupati or Goodwin.

The biggest problem IMO is there is no cohesion between our primitive running game (which is basically the same as Singletary's i.e. a block down kick out scheme) and our play action. You will notice that regardless of our running attack there is still crazy pressure on Kap on play action plays.

For a distinction look at the Texans, Green Bay, Seattle (especially) where on a play action play the QB has literally 10 yards between him and the closest defender...and the WR are running free all over the place.

Our running attack has simply no cohesion with our play action passing game. Further, even on our straight passing game our OL can't block anyone either.

Kap is not a short passing game player. He is a over 15 yards passing QB...he is the anti Alex Smith. But this means your OL must be able to block for him and right now they can't. Nor can any of our WR get open, and frankly this is a coaching problem not a personnel problem. Notice how our discarded WR do fairly well when they leave us.

I have never understood the infatuation with Roman, and frankly I don't know if this is Roman's doing....it may be Harbaugh's problem. At the end of the day Harbaugh calls in the play.
Originally posted by NCommand:

100% agree. And if Harbaugh himself is in bed with this college-offensive mindset, he needs to either 1) Go back to college or 2) Hire a real professional OC and leave him alone (like he does with Fangio).

Originally posted by cciowa:

X2
great players do not make great coaches. that is just emotional blather. just because rice was a great player does not mean you take a chance and give him the keys,, you also need to do something on defense to stop this s**t of people always picking up third downs on us because we go soft at crunch time. the coaches act they are scared ,what the hell kind of message does that send to the players

bang on my brother. i seen in another thread about ronnie lott being hired as a db coach. its nostalgia and thats about it. look at our last 2 coaches, 1 is in the HOF and a laughing stock as a HC, the other was a journeyman average qb for most of his career and is a very good coach. sean payton is a great coach and was a scab qb in 1987.

As stated before only Roman and Morton are proving to be ineffective at their jobs. I wouldnt want to change any other part of the staff. Roman's inability to progress this offense as Defenses adjust to it is the root of all of this. There is no excuse for not running Gore in these second halves, when he is being productive all first half. There is also no excuse for that BS pistol play fake they keep doing, it fools NO ONE because they have told Gore to ignore the handoff and block the blitzer first, so Gore does his job and all it does it add more seconds on to the execution of the play as Kaps fakes it to air. Its sloppy and of already been corrected in practices, or at least design the play to carryout a decent fake.

Roman really needs to go to Shanahan's school of how to roll out a QB.
[ Edited by 5280High on Nov 20, 2013 at 12:45 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

lol I just said this in a very long way the "is roman really good?" thread. Like that story on Jed York said he wanted a team that thrived on passing and had a QB minded coach. Right now and for all but 1 game we haven't been that at all.

I'm waiting for Jed to tell Harbaugh that Roman has to go if we don't get away from this cutesy college offense that has almost no passing element to it anymore. That damn Chicago Bears game was such a tease for what this offense could be if we let Kaepernick be himself in even a basic WCO style offense. Now we have to watch Jimmy Raye football all over again.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
I am still waiting for a thread where someone actually knows that we do run a west coast offense. I doubt it will happen because every negative thread I have seen states we need to get rid of Roman and hire someone who runs the WC offense. So this is a
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by cciowa:

X2

bang on my brother. i seen in another thread about ronnie lott being hired as a db coach. its nostalgia and thats about it. look at our last 2 coaches, 1 is in the HOF and a laughing stock as a HC, the other was a journeyman average qb for most of his career and is a very good coach. sean payton is a great coach and was a scab qb in 1987.
bart starr and forest gregg were horrid coaches and packer fans would agree. no i think with a couple of exceptions here and there,, a good student of the game or a scab as you said end up making the best coaches
  • thl408
Originally posted by MarkD:
I am still waiting for a thread where someone actually knows that we do run a west coast offense. I doubt it will happen because every negative thread I have seen states we need to get rid of Roman and hire someone who runs the WC offense. So this is a

MarkD, can you expand on that thought? I see traces of WCO here and there, but it is not the foundation of this offense, in my observation. Things I see with the 49ers that are not WCO:

- keeping RBs in to block in order to beat the blitz, instead of more route runners
- throws to WRs that are at a standstill instead of on the move
- very few passes to the RBs. I do not count the designed rollout passes to Miller.
- few short range passes to the TEs
- no intermediate crossing routes
Share 49ersWebzone