There are 137 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 11: Thoughts after rewatching the game

Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Kap is playing like an idiot. Running out of bounds towards the end of the game when we needed the clock to run.

Also calling timeouts when we don't have any lol.

5 mintues after the last one was just used. you have to know how many timeouts you have, thats was pathetic.
Originally posted by AMBITION:
Kapologists

We'll still make the playoffs. Not worried, yet.

You aren't worried that we haven't beat a winning team all year?

Those teams like the Giants that start off bad and then get hot and win the SB usually beat good teams during the season but end up losing to lesser competition. All the niners have done this year is beat up crappy teams and lose to good ones. We just aren't that good without an NFL QB.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Those teams like the Giants that start off bad and then get hot and win the SB usually beat good teams during the season but end up losing to lesser competition. All the niners have done this year is beat up crappy teams and lose to good ones. We just aren't that good without an NFL QB.

Well that's clearly not true. We have beaten winning teams.
Great post Marvin. Love your post gaemday threads. Losing two straight conference games with three more division games coming up could spell doom for this team. I'm sorry. The 49ers just aren't good enough right now. The obvious lack of talent at WR is beginning to grow and it was our biggest area of need to start the season. All this one read bs is the coaches trying to get WR's open through scheme. The reality of the situation is that none our our WR's can beat one on one press coverage outside of Boldin and he's not fast enough to make db's pay for getting beat. They can recover too easily. On top of that there's just no way to tell just how bad Kap really is or if viable nfl options at WR would actually change the way Roman calls plays. I have to believe that it would. Guys like cciowa would probably disagree but I know for certain that the 49ers WR core is probably the worst in the league and until that situation is fixed the Kap and Roman aren't going anywhere.
Member Milestone: This is post number 200 for Black24Razor.
If that's the argument...then who have the Seahawks beaten? 10-6 gets us in the playoffs.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by sacniner:
I think most rational fans know that Kap is still super green and developing. BUT, the reason why there is much frustartation is becasue we are built to win now and coming off of one play from winning the SB. We aren't in some type of "rebuilding" mode so we as fans are impatient and would like to win now. We know that vets like Gore and the Cowboy are aging and also we can't pay everyone. You don't get a roster like this every year. I think when we made the famous "switch" at QB, the front office and coaching staff did it with the intent that it gives us a better chance to win immediately.

Still, you're right. Not all Kap's fault. We need Crabs back and the coaching staff to go back to the drawing board. Maybe can Mangini. WTF is he doing? Maybe he is getting in Roman's way?

THIS x100. If we had Kap in 2005 I would be super excited. But unfortunately this is 2013. The core of this team is Gore and Cowboy. When those 2 go we will be hurting something fierce.

So you are saying that Kap is not making the players around him better.... like all elite QBs do?

No. Where did that come from? I'm saying he isn't even currently an average NFL QB. He is young and going through some growing pains. He can't read a defense, he can't make a decision, he is second guessing himself. Right now I would rather have someone like Alex Smith who knows where to go with the ball how to make a decision and with this team we would be going to another SB. Instead we are wasting our best players prime years while this kid tries to learn how to play QB at this level by fueling his fire on twitter and instagram.

lol. I was just being annoying.
Originally posted by Jcool:

Packers are 5-5

Rams are 4-6

Texans are 2-8

Cardinals are 6-4

Titans are 4-6

Jaguars are 1-9

Damn, you got him. We beat the Cardinals!
This team is built to win now. Alex was let go because we believed that Kap was the upgrade NOW. Harbaugh put his faith in Kap as the qb who can lead this superbowl contending team. This season, that has not been the case. Kap is playing like a qb who you can afford to develop because the team isn't so good. That's not the case with this team. Him and Roman are seriously limiting us right now. We can not afford these growing pains of his. Throwing for 120 yards this past game and 90 yards the game prior is inexcusable no matter how you slice it.

The defense played awesome and held arguably the best offense in the NFL at home to a mere 23 points. Kap isn't being helped by the play calling, game planning, and the pass protection. But he still has been the weakest link. I'm sorry. There is no way around that. The stud QB that we saw in last years playoffs has been a complete dud this year. Now for people saying to get rid of him and he's a bust, now obviously that is absurd. However placing a lot of the blame on Kap is DEFINITELY warranted. Roman and Kap are the reason this team is 6-4, when we probably should be 8-2.

Kap has been awful at the following..

reading defenses
pocket presence
going through his progressions
accuracy (very spotty, how often has he displayed any touch on his balls? most of his passes are unnecessary bullets)
Decision making

Also his escapability has been very poor considering his athletic ability. How does a guy that is suppose to be so athletic take so many sacks? Too often do I see him scramble 5 yards back out of the pocket and completely kill a play, when he could easily step up into the pocket or take a running lane up the middle. He seems scared to get hit.

Now I will give Kap this, if Gore catches that pass (wasn't a great throw though) yesterday and Vance Mcdonald catches that pass down the seam against the Panthers we win both of those games. However, that still does not excuse Kap from his terrible play throughout both of those games.

Who? Arizona at 6-4 I guess. When we played them they were 3-3.
Trying not to steer this towards just a Kap thread...

The defense played very well, again. Having a sick Aldon hurt, but the 49ers made up for it in coverage. There were times Brees held the ball for a long time and couldn't find a target (Brooks INT was one). The 49ers snuffed out all the NO screen plays as well as I don't remember any screens that hit for significant yardage.

Kap was throwing in rhythm to start the game and looked fine imo. If Kap goes to the RBs, and he did a few times, those throws must hit the RB on stride. One pass to Gore was not on stride and it forced Gore to stop to catch it, then the LB converged for no RAC. It's a short yardage throw, it should be 100% accurate.

Vance got a key opportunity to make a play and failed. Another case of weak hands, not being able to secure a pass that was thrown well. Baldwin got chances and failed. The back shoulder throw! More please, whenever tight press man coverage is seen.

Opponents are really keying off something on the 49er run plays. They are stuffing the point of attack big time. Does this go back to what Dahl saw when he played as a Ram FS? Does it go back to how Gore does not pose a threat to the edge/wide runs?

The VD TD pass was a beautifully designed play. I have to give some props to HaRo there.

Still don't know why the Baldwin TD catch was not a TD catch. He got two feet in (football move) and the ground caused the fumble.

49ers needed some luck to stay in the game (muff punt, pick 6 became touchback), but in the end botched several chances to win it. They could have stole this game and turned around the season. Instead, they are now one of the bubble teams. Even if they lose to SEA, they should win the other games, 11-5 is a playoff team.

Who? Arizona at 6-4 I guess. When we played them they were 3-3.

we were both 3-2 going into that game.
OK you guys got me. We beat the Cards. That is the best team we beat this year. I feel so foolish now. Losing to all the probable playoff teams we played this year isn't concerning at all.
Want to give props again to probably the best defensive performance (given the opponent and our mostly inept offense) in quite some time. Other than the obvious great plays by Brooks, I thought Whitner defended well against Graham for the most part. In fact, I was really impressed how often we allowed Brees to complete a short underneath pass before we blasted the receiver. This game reminder me more of the Niner D from 2011. If we can keep this up while the O gets back on track, I'd say there is still much to be excited about.
Originally posted by thl408:
Trying not to steer this towards just a Kap thread...

The defense played very well, again. Having a sick Aldon hurt, but the 49ers made up for it in coverage. There were times Brees held the ball for a long time and couldn't find a target (Brooks INT was one). The 49ers snuffed out all the NO screen plays as well as I don't remember any screens that hit for significant yardage.

Kap was throwing in rhythm to start the game and looked fine imo. If Kap goes to the RBs, and he did a few times, those throws must hit the RB on stride. One pass to Gore was not on stride and it forced Gore to stop to catch it, then the LB converged for no RAC. It's a short yardage throw, it should be 100% accurate.

Vance got a key opportunity to make a play and failed. Another case of weak hands, not being able to secure a pass that was thrown well. Baldwin got chances and failed. The back shoulder throw! More please, whenever tight press man coverage is seen.

Opponents are really keying off something on the 49er run plays. They are stuffing the point of attack big time. Does this go back to what Dahl saw when he played as a Ram FS? Does it go back to how Gore does not pose a threat to the edge/wide runs?

The VD TD pass was a beautifully designed play. I have to give some props to HaRo there.

Still don't know why the Baldwin TD catch was not a TD catch. He got two feet in (football move) and the ground caused the fumble.

49ers needed some luck to stay in the game (muff punt, pick 6 became touchback), but in the end botched several chances to win it. They could have stole this game and turned around the season. Instead, they are now one of the bubble teams. Even if they lose to SEA, they should win the other games, 11-5 is a playoff team.

It wasn't a fumble. Since he went to the ground in the act of the catch he has to maintain possession through the entire catch (including going to the ground). He bobbled it.
OK you guys got me. We beat the Cards. That is the best team we beat this year. I feel so foolish now. Losing to all the probable playoff teams we played this year isn't concerning at all.

its totally concerning, those painting it as not concerning are not being honest with themselves.