There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 11: Thoughts after rewatching the game

• dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Harbaugh was hired for THIS offense. He was hired for the offense he ran at Stanford. That is what they will continue to run.

Harbaugh is a great coach. Roman is much better than people think. They will adapt. They will also be able to do more of what they did last year when the horses come back.

I see all of this criticism of Roman running a "College Offense". Thats balony. Every offense was at one point a college offense. Even the WCO.

This team is struggling on multiple levels. The QB is struggling when the first read isn't there. He'll improve. The WRs are struggling beating man-to-man coverage. The good ones are coming back. Roman is struggling with ways to scheme the first read open when they can't do it on their own and his QB is struggling getting to the second read. He's struggling getting a run game going against a freakin' 10 man front.

It isn't any one thing. The only way Roman leaves is if he's hired as a HC. If he leaves, the new OC will NOT bring in an all new system and poof...everything is fixed. The new OC is likely already on the 49ers staff and they will work within the system they have now to improve.

Minor disagreement: Harbaugh was hired to win. PERIOD. It so happens that the Stanford program he inherited had been turned around on the demands of the many wealthy Stanford alums who insisted the school start spending money on the football program, and they did. As a result, every bright kid in the nation who was also a big, good football player began to look seriously at the school and many top level HS players began to enroll. Harbaugh came into that program with the offense he had run in San Diego and installed it there. He won. It wasn't WCO, far from it, but he won and that was all that mattered.

So Baalke hires him and again he inherits a very good roster. He promises to install the WCO but has not seemed to get around to doing that as yet. However, nobody really cared as long as he had a solid QB to go with a loaded roster. He won. It doesn't matter that it was a "college offense" or not. It is a very simple offense except for the complexity of the alignments. Last season it fooled a lot of teams but this year those same teams are just sitting back, waiting for all the shifting to cease, and playing the game. HaRo likely will change very little this season. It is too late to make many changes. However, certain basics of the WCO would be very helpful to both the team and Kaepernick. Whether we see any of them appears doubtful. As you said, Harbaugh has his offense and he does not appear the least bit interested in changing it.

Next year I expect Roman to be back. I recognize he has done some very creative things but "creative" does not always work, and that is where we are. If Harbaugh is back, Roman is back unless some other teams wants to make him HC. If that happens, I will not cry. I have been very open in my criticism of him and I won't back off that point unless he shows something significantly different in these final 6 games.

In the meantime, Kaepernick is stuck in a situation that looks very difficult. His confidence is obviously very low and the system does not seem to make it easier for him.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
It worked well last year also b/c nobody knew what we would do or how we would do it and NOBODY (not even our own coaches, admittedly) knew what CK could do. Now there is enough film out there (and now the smoke screen is over) and defenses can simply stop us now with THREE DB's. Are you telling me, we can't beat 3 DB's with VD, McDonald, Boldin, Hunter, Gore and James in the passing game? THAT is 100% on HaRoMan there. We can talk about CK's inabiity to read (disagree fundamentally here) even a second option or personnel all day. Like Marvin said, THIS is who HaRoMan is and always has been. I disagree with their ability to adjust; have less faith (b/c they haven't thus far proven it despite a couple personnel losses). We had ALL off season to combat those losses and we're into week 11. We have just seen way too much evidence and too many "patterns" to think this is more a CK or personnel-thing esp. compared to what the rest of the NFL is doing with far less talent than us. And this is year THREE of the system. This isn't a new coaching staff taking over a new team...95% of the starters are the same players as last year. 2 different QB = same results. IMHO. what more evidence do we need to think that perhaps, the foundation for all our offensive issues is grounded in the type of offense we run (and continue to run into a brick wall)?
New Orleans completes passes to 8-10 guys/game on a regular basis and none of those guys are going to the Pro Bowl except Jimmy Graham, and for a good part of this season he was either out or very limited due to foot problems, yet Brees continued to spread the ball around to multiple receivers.
  • SFGem
  • Veteran
You guys do realize brees has quite a bit more experience in than nfl than kaep right?
When we played the weak sister teams, did HaRo try to get vance involved in the O? Did they try to get Baldwin involved in the O? Did they try to get LMJ involved in the O passing attack? Nope, nope, nope and nope. They blew 5 very good opportunities to have Kap work on his short passing game and to get everyone other than Boldin involved in the passing attack. This is an indictment of coaching failure, both OC and HC. Roman doesn't know any better. Jim Harbaugh should.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
No. Where did that come from? I'm saying he isn't even currently an average NFL QB. He is young and going through some growing pains. He can't read a defense, he can't make a decision, he is second guessing himself. Right now I would rather have someone like Alex Smith who knows where to go with the ball how to make a decision and with this team we would be going to another SB. Instead we are wasting our best players prime years while this kid tries to learn how to play QB at this level by fueling his fire on twitter and instagram.
Exactly!
Originally posted by sdcindy:
My problem with Kap relates to Seattle. Yes I hate the Seahawks. But dang, Russell Wilson has been a pro less time than Kap and looks great in everything he does (including looking like a professional when being interviewed) while Kap does not. Same with Andrew Luck - he has the look of a really good QB. Hate to say it, but I would take either of those two over Kap. And I never thought I would say that last year.
I concur with almost everything, except that I did say it last year.
Originally posted by Papuchi:
Originally posted by sdcindy:
My problem with Kap relates to Seattle. Yes I hate the Seahawks. But dang, Russell Wilson has been a pro less time than Kap and looks great in everything he does (including looking like a professional when being interviewed) while Kap does not. Same with Andrew Luck - he has the look of a really good QB. Hate to say it, but I would take either of those two over Kap. And I never thought I would say that last year.
I concur with almost everything, except that I did say it last year.

Regarding Luck, just remind yourself of when he got drafted.
Lol @ the bandwagons jumping off the cliff in this thread.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home