There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Can Someone Explain How It Wasn't a Penalty?

Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I guarantee you, had that hit been on Kap, Niner fans would've been screaming for a flag. Understand Brooks' frustration, but like it or not, that's how the NFL officiates these days. Brees isn't a tall QB and if you look at the frozen shots of the hit, his legs were spread apart, so his height at that moment was well under 6 ft. Had the hit been a few inches lower, the play likely doesn't get reviewed and it's our ball. Easier said than done, I understand, it's hard to adjust your hit that way. Still, agree, it was the right call, frustrating as it was.

Finally thanks for this. God I hate these kind of threads..
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VA49er:
SUre. The same way grabbing a fist full of Baldwin or VD's jersey isn't a PI. Or facemasking a DB to break up an interception isn't offensive PI.

I don't think we are being targeted, look at the intentional grounding that should have been called on Kapernick. I think there are too many judgement rules and the officiating crews aren't competent to adjudicate them. Yeah, some bias may seep in there but ultimately I think the nfl just needs to simplify the rule book to avoid these calls.

I blame fantasy football. The league is now so worried about putting huge numbers each week to keep those people involved, it can't afford to treat qbs like football players.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

What's he have a hold of pics 2-4? It's not the shoulder pads, it's the helmet.

Again, he is not RIPPING his helmet up...Brees is falling to the ground, back arched as his OWN knees are bent under himself WHILE Brooks in, real time, is trying to set his left leg and keep upright. There is no contorsion here BY Brooks...is Brooks arm UNDER his helmet as Brees falls to the ground? Yes. Is he forcefully ripping it up? No. In fact, if you watch the entire play in fast motion it looks like he's cradling him to the ground so as not to cause injury. And look at that last pic...you can even see that one where he drops both arms down to ensure he was ridden to the ground before he finally catches his balance and stays upright. He is doing everything he can (against gravity) to ensure this was not a foul. If this was malicious, he could have used Brees' own momentum and SLAMMED his head to the ground. I see this all the time.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 18, 2013 at 9:23 AM ]

What's he have a hold of pics 2-4? It's not the shoulder pads, it's the helmet.

It must suck to know you're clearly in the minority on this call.
Originally posted by dmatt:
I don't think we are being targeted, look at the intentional grounding that should have been called on Kapernick.

I was with you on that one as well. I totally thought that was a safety and the game was over. BUT, they replayed it and the rule is, as long as the QB is OUTSIDE THE TACKLE and he throws it past the LOS, that's legal. Go watch it again. Davis gets shoved inside so far and CK (wisely) sprints to the right of him and throws past the LOS; pretty heady-play, actually. At that point, he is well outside the T and makes it a legal play. But as a Saints fan, at first, I'd be pissed at that call. I'd understand. But that was the right call and not debatable.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by 11OnDaField1NMyHeart:
from the PL

lol.
I'm getting a lot of slack for this, but refs are being told to call this. Many of you have made valid points, but at the same time I completely understand them calling it. Does that make it right for them not to do the same for Kaep? No not at all. Can't argue that, but I can argue that the hit was "close" at the very least and that refs are going to call it. Maybe not 100% of the time, and maybe more or less depending on the name of the player, but it's not like it was the worst call ever made. Again it was close and with all the former players forcing lawsuits down the NFL's throat what is the NFL supposed to do? That's the thing people don't put into context. They have to call it.

I guess it goes a little more in depth than what I've presented. Me I totally understand the call. Should they be more consistent with it? Yeah, but it was a call they have to make.
Originally posted by Hopper:

I don't blame the refs when the offense had more than one chance to win it. When we got lucky on what should have been a pick six. Or our offense not executing in the two minute drill twice. On everyone of our points coming off turnovers.

I'm not the one complaining about something that could have been avoided in the first place.

That's not the refs fault.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Nov 18, 2013 at 9:39 AM ]
As Ted Robinson said this morning, if they are going to start flagging for hands sliding up to facemask after the hit, they should just start throwing flags every play.
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Nov 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

I don't blame the refs when the offense had more than one chance to win it. When we got lucky on what should have been a pick six. On our offense not executing in the two minute drill twice. On everyone of our points coming off turnovers.

of course this is the truth, ck running out of bounds, bad coaching , osgoods penality and minus 14 yards in offense in the fourth quarter, blaming the refs for a call that i feel was probably right makes some feel better but they are just trying to find an excuse
I'm getting a lot of slack for this, but refs are being told to call this. Many of you have made valid points, but at the same time I completely understand them calling it. Does that make it right for them not to do the same for Kaep? No not at all. Can't argue that, but I can argue that the hit was "close" at the very least and that refs are going to call it. Maybe not 100% of the time, and maybe more or less depending on the name of the player, but it's not like it was the worst call ever made. Again it was close and with all the former players forcing lawsuits down the NFL's throat what is the NFL supposed to do? That's the thing people don't put into context. They have to call it.

I guess it goes a little more in depth than what I've presented. Me I totally understand the call. Should they be more consistent with it? Yeah, but it was a call they have to make.

JiksJuicy, we still love you...you're a Niner fan...always good to get the other-side perspective to keep us all objective. I think we understand the call b/c it DID look very violent (remember when Brooks hit Dalton so hard his helmet flew off)?

I think where some diagree with this legal hit was also when it was called. If there is any doubt in your mind, you don't call a penalty kick in the box in the closing seconds of the game, even for the home team. THAT call can determine the outcome of a game. So it HAS to be 100% a foul, no question. And of course, the consistency by which these calls are made is clearly an issues (as well as them not being able to be reviewed).
Originally posted by cciowa:

I don't blame the refs when the offense had more than one chance to win it. When we got lucky on what should have been a pick six. On our offense not executing in the two minute drill twice. On everyone of our points coming off turnovers.

of course this is the truth, ck running out of bounds, bad coaching , osgoods penality and minus 14 yards in offense in the fourth quarter, blaming the refs for a call that i feel was probably right makes some feel better but they are just trying to find an excuse

People can question a critical call that effected the outcome of a game w/o disregarding the fact that we STILL had a gazillion other reasons for losing. The Superbowl is no different. Let's all stay on the topic of this thread...and that's the call in and of itself.
Brees' neck lookin like

There's little to no doubt that the nfl will call that a penalty. Whether or not that it should be a penalty would be debated on this board for years to come. I personally don't think this should be a penalty. The game is played WAY too fast for a player to tackle in a small zone of the body. Football in itself is a violent game and the NFL is going full retard on these penalties. Although it will never happen, the nfl needs to let the players play. Also, if the other happened to Kap, i wouldn't scream for a penalty. Even though I am a niner fan, i am very objective. During the aftermath of the game.....it was PROBABLY the right call but it's a byproduct of the nfl's stupid rules.
Originally posted by NCommand:

JiksJuicy, we still love you...you're a Niner fan...always good to get the other-side perspective to keep us all objective. I think we understand the call b/c it DID look very violent (remember when Brooks hit Dalton so hard his helmet flew off)?

I think where some diagree with this legal hit was also when it was called. If there is any doubt in your mind, you don't call a penalty kick in the box in the closing seconds of the game, even for the home team. THAT call can determine the outcome of a game. So it HAS to be 100% a foul, no question. And of course, the consistency by which these calls are made is clearly an issues (as well as them not being able to be reviewed).
Valid points. And honestly I understand people thinking it's bs, but even as it happened I thought to myself it was the correct call. I just feel people are making a bigger deal out of it than it really was, and it was kind of getting on my nerves a bit. It was a very sketchy call at a pivotal point in the game, but it's not the reason why we lost the game.

Oh and cc. That Osgood penalty was amazingly dumb. I have no clue what he was thinking on that.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Nov 18, 2013 at 9:53 AM ]
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home