There are 112 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Can Someone Explain How It Wasn't a Penalty?

Originally posted by birdie2bogey:
My only question is, if Brooks did not get the flag, would we be discussing that play as absurd and would he still be fined?

No doubt the Hicks play should have been a penalty, but would the Saints and their fans being calling conspiracy over a non-call from the Brooks hit? I personally don't think the media or the Saints would be discussing the controversial "non-call," and would be replayed as a game changing sack.

If you've ever read anything from a Saints fan you understand that every call that doesn't go their way and every loss is a conspiracy. The Saints never lose a game because they were simply outplayed. In the 2011 playoffs a lot of them still hold onto the belief that they were screwed by the refs despite not being called for a single penalty all game (not joking here).
My only question is, if Brooks did not get the flag, would we be discussing that play as absurd and would he still be fined?

No doubt the Hicks play should have been a penalty, but would the Saints and their fans being calling conspiracy over a non-call from the Brooks hit? I personally don't think the media or the Saints would be discussing the controversial "non-call," and would be replayed as a game changing sack.

Word! I've been saying this since Sunday. If that flag doesn't get thrown on Brooks this topic wouldn't have been on the national radar whatsoever. He may still have gotten a fine because I'm sure Payton would have sent in a complaint to the league office, but it probably would have been less than $15,750.00
So where is the fan poll map that shows the majority of fans from Louisiana and Mississippi agreeing that the Saints should have also been flagged for the Matt Ryan hit?
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Word! I've been saying this since Sunday. If that flag doesn't get thrown on Brooks this topic wouldn't have been on the national radar whatsoever. He may still have gotten a fine because I'm sure Payton would have sent in a complaint to the league office, but it probably would have been less than $15,750.00

accually I think Brooks would have been nominated the ESPY for play of the year.....

When Good-Dell brings up the integrity of the game what does he mean? Is it the way football has been played since the 19th century or the integrity of advertisers making max profit tied in with the Neilson ratings. Or could it be that Good-Dell is trying to become like Ro-zell, bigger than the sport itself. Safety? The Safety of Profits.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
When Good-Dell brings up the integrity of the game what does he mean? Is it the way football has been played since the 19th century or the integrity of advertisers making max profit tied in with the Neilson ratings. Or could it be that Good-Dell is trying to become like Ro-zell, bigger than the sport itself. Safety? The Safety of Profits.

That means, "We claim to have the high ground and it's up to you to prove different! We don't have to explain ourselves...we're protecting the game!" Pretty nice position to take as it absolves you from all criticism. "Those who criticize us are trying to ruin our wonderful game!" (and multi-billion dollar industry).
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

I think the NFL is walking on very thin ice when it comes to the "integrity of the game." Per BASG, this meme is making the rounds. He points out that it's not quite apples-to-apples, that Kap was scrambling around outside of the pocket and so wasn't afforded the same protections. But how much of that is going to be communicated--or understood--by casual fans or bystanders? You have a comparison that sure as hell looks like the NFL has refs selectively making calls to influence the outcome of games.

And as they tell us at the ADLAW/ethics brief: public perception can be as important as what really happened.

And that's how we know it was a bad call. If that flag was not thrown, nobody would have blinked. That was a good football play. Ahmad beat his man, closed on the QB, and wrapped his arms around the QB. It was textbook. He earned that sack and forced fumble. Instead, he was penalized for playing the game.

And I don't want to hear anything about "his arm slid up to the QB's neck area". So what. It's football. You can't always control EXACTLY where you hit a QB. This is a game of inches and these athletes are moving at high speed. What you can control is intent to hit the QB's head. That did not happen here. Not even close.

This s**t isn't called in college or even HS. We're supposed to believe NFL caliber athletes can't handle it? It's not even about potential lawsuits anymore. That case is done and over with. The NFL settled and issued payment to former players. Players can no longer claim they didn't know about the dangers of football as it pertains to head injuries anymore. So what is the point of all of these b******t roughing the passer penalties?
Are QBs going to be taught to slide down on every sack to create a penalty? Will they start throwing their helmets at the arms and hands of defenders when they don't have another option? Boy this will change the manner in which QBs play! LOL! Only somewhat kidding...

On a serious note...I'm beginning to see a racial component to these plays, tied to the Super Star protection. Hope I'm wrong.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 23, 2013 at 8:25 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Are QBs going to be taught to slide down on every sack to create a penalty? Will they start throwing their helmets at the arms and hands of defenders when they don't have another option? Boy this will change the manner in which QBs play! LOL! Only somewhat kidding...

On a serious note...I'm beginning to see a racial component to these plays, tied to the Super Star protection. Hope I'm wrong.

I was thinking the same about the QB play as far as trying to draw penalties. QBs can try to "flop" like the NBA. It really sucks. As for a racial component I think with Tomlin sitting on the competition committee and the 'read option' rule it was probably just due to the fact that those teams have statues at QB. They want to erase that edge from teams that have mobile QBs. It sucks that our QB takes crazy shots with no flags but I think that if he were built like Rodney Peete he would. At least I hope he would. The refs are probably erring when they see a stud athlete in the pocket like Kap or Cam and they assume he can take the pounding then they see Brees and say ouch!

Could you imagine if QBs started doing that, especially the shorter ones like Brees and Russell Wilson? Imagine with their height and also them sliding down when sacked by someone as tall as say Brooks, who is 6'3"...it would be impossible for a player Brooks' height to stop his arm from coming up near the neck/head area at the end of the play.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SofaKing:

And that's how we know it was a bad call. If that flag was not thrown, nobody would have blinked. That was a good football play. Ahmad beat his man, closed on the QB, and wrapped his arms around the QB. It was textbook. He earned that sack and forced fumble. Instead, he was penalized for playing the game.

And I don't want to hear anything about "his arm slid up to the QB's neck area". So what. It's football. You can't always control EXACTLY where you hit a QB. This is a game of inches and these athletes are moving at high speed. What you can control is intent to hit the QB's head. That did not happen here. Not even close.

This s**t isn't called in college or even HS. We're supposed to believe NFL caliber athletes can't handle it? It's not even about potential lawsuits anymore. That case is done and over with. The NFL settled and issued payment to former players. Players can no longer claim they didn't know about the dangers of football as it pertains to head injuries anymore. So what is the point of all of these b******t roughing the passer penalties?

Exactly!!

You can practice safe tackling (oxy moron I know) all day. But when its live action, you can only control yourself to a point, the QB, RB or WR on opposing teams aren't gonna be the same or move the same in practice. That's why all these penalties on QB's are also friggin bullsh!t, helmet-to-helmet, low-to-the-knees and tackling high happen to the RB's and WR's all day, and they take the ball further down field, sacrifice their bodies and most times have no blockers for them. Sure the QB is the most important position in the game, but if your gonna protect and baby the QB position then shouldn't you do that to all? God, I hope Roger Goodell doesn't read my post. lol
Just don't care for judgement calls. I think that incidental contact with the head is something that shouldn't decide a critical period in the game. Its tough on the refs but it may be tougher on Brooks and the 49ers. I am sure no one is crying for Brees ... at all!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I was thinking the same about the QB play as far as trying to draw penalties. QBs can try to "flop" like the NBA. It really sucks. As for a racial component I think with Tomlin sitting on the competition committee and the 'read option' rule it was probably just due to the fact that those teams have statues at QB. They want to erase that edge from teams that have mobile QBs. It sucks that our QB takes crazy shots with no flags but I think that if he were built like Rodney Peete he would. At least I hope he would. The refs are probably erring when they see a stud athlete in the pocket like Kap or Cam and they assume he can take the pounding then they see Brees and say ouch!

Great analogy to NBA flopping...which drives me crazy! And I agree about the big QBs not getting the calls because they seem able to take a hit better...wonder if their brains have better protection from concussions? So hard to see the exact same hits, side by side, with one QB getting the call, the other not.
Great analogy to NBA flopping...which drives me crazy! And I agree about the big QBs not getting the calls because they seem able to take a hit better...wonder if their brains have better protection from concussions? So hard to see the exact same hits, side by side, with one QB getting the call, the other not.

Yes a hit to the head is a hit to the head. If you are going to call it then call it all the time not some of the time it keeps down confusion
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Nov 23, 2013 at 11:47 AM ]