There are 45 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Can Someone Explain How It Wasn't a Penalty?

Integrity of the game...they wouldn't even have to lie: "You know, from my vantage point on the field, I didn't see it or I felt I had to make a snap-quick judgement bassed on the rule esp. with re: to the protection of the QB." Done. Like you said, who wouldn't respect that?
But the truth is, the NFL holds esentially a "gag order" on all officials. It's truly the ONE thing they have control over esp. when you factor in the player's association and collective bargaining agreement.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 22, 2013 at 11:17 AM ]
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
anybody have a gif of the Matt Ryan hit?

So we can objectively assess it here?

Fuels the fire as someone said earlier. Both should've been called IMO. Pretty much same thing except Hick's was 100% a penalty, and Ahmads was "iffy".

thats no penalty. its obvious he's aiming for below his pads and just missed.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Fair enough, I think we can all agree at real-time and the added emphasis on QB protection, that's a tough judgement call in a critical juncture of the game. Understandable.

Exactly. But the thing that bothers me is that the NFL After reviewing the play still fined Brooks.And u have Mike Pereria saying the call was good and also the NFL VP OF OFFICIATING
Well duh...did you expect them to openly admit they blew yet another under-3 minute call on us in a critical game?

Fuels the fire as someone said earlier. Both should've been called IMO. Pretty much same thing except Hick's was 100% a penalty, and Ahmads was "iffy".

(not directed at you blue)
[ Edited by 49erfeeeever808 on Nov 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM ]
I just can't believe posters around here arguing that it was a legitimate penalty. Yes, Brooks absolutely clocked him. That's what happens when a strong, fast 6'4", 260 lb linebacker brings his hammer down on a 6 foot tall 200 lb guy standing there. But he hit him in the chest with his forearm, period. According to the rules, that is in the strike zone. He hit him in the chest, not the neck and as such, it's perfectly legal. As Brees goes down, the arm slides up into the neck area. That's what happened. It was a fabulous defensive play.

Now, from the ref's angle, he saw Brees' head snap back and I can imagine that it was close enough that he had to make the call. But, that doesn't change the fact that it was a bad call. But the call isn't the reason the Niners didn't win. It's just ONE OF THE REASONS Niners didn't win. If Frank Gore catches that pass, the Niners win. If Baldwin finds the ball in the air, the Niners probably win. If Kaepernick and the offense can sustain just one long drive, the Niners probably win.
Originally posted by crake49:
I just can't believe posters around here arguing that it was a legitimate penalty. Yes, Brooks absolutely clocked him. That's what happens when a strong, fast 6'4", 260 lb linebacker brings his hammer down on a 6 foot tall 200 lb guy standing there. But he hit him in the chest with his forearm, period. According to the rules, that is in the strike zone. He hit him in the chest, not the neck and as such, it's perfectly legal. As Brees goes down, the arm slides up into the neck area. That's what happened. It was a fabulous defensive play.

Now, from the ref's angle, he saw Brees' head snap back and I can imagine that it was close enough that he had to make the call. But, that doesn't change the fact that it was a bad call. But the call isn't the reason the Niners didn't win. It's just ONE OF THE REASONS Niners didn't win. If Frank Gore catches that pass, the Niners win. If Baldwin finds the ball in the air, the Niners probably win. If Kaepernick and the offense can sustain just one long drive, the Niners probably win.

All true. It was just one more frustrating aspect of the game and the last two weeks. Monday can't get here fast enough for me.
Wow, I didn't see the game yesterday. I just saw it now.

Are you pooping me? Is that play for real? With no flag? Ok, well we are now officially in Lee Harvey Oswald conspiracy theory territory. I think the NFL is looking to have Mr Vicks commercial in the super bowl no matter what, so he can play against mr free pizza. That will be just great for the ratings.

Holy cow. You're telling me punching the QB in the facemask does not draw a roughing foul, but hitting a qb in the shoulder pads for a game altering turnover is a foul.

Oh this is unreal. Well, he better get the full 15K fine or whatever, which is the only chance that the NFL has to redeem itself after such absurdity.

Let's face it -- the rule is really "Ya better not clock the quarterback in any way shape or form or you will get a yellow hankie." That's the real rule. They should just write it up and let everyone play to it, rather than coming up with these silly interpretations that change from play to play to play.

And NO ONE IS SAYING THE CRAPPY BROOKS CALL IS THE REASON WE LOST!!

It's just a crappy call!! We just need to vent okay? It's been tough.

Sheesh. Can we get past that already.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Nov 22, 2013 at 12:05 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

lol. handblow to the head, facemask grab, helmet to helmet contact. no flag.

Ahmad Brooks gets screwed by what is essentially the "fine print" of the rule (the part about contact to the head even if the initial contact was not), while they don't throw a flag on this guy who violates the 'flashing headlines' of the rule.
I just wanted to point out something to everyone whos making the dumb "Dont rely on the refs to decide the win" argument.

In games against powerhouse teams (on the road especially), expect very close, hard fought games. Saying the 49ers should've capitalized on opportunities earlier so they weren't in that position only works if they lose to an inferior team in the same fashion. Its unrealistic to expect them to not rely on a big, game changing play near the end of the game. Its freakin hard to beat NO in the Superdome. Its going to come down to a play like the Brooks sack.

We got that game winning play, and the refs took it away from us. Some people think nit picking at every little mistake we made in that game is a good way to shrug off a horrible call. The Saints made mistakes as well. We deserved to win that one.
My only question is, if Brooks did not get the flag, would we be discussing that play as absurd and would he still be fined?

No doubt the Hicks play should have been a penalty, but would the Saints and their fans being calling conspiracy over a non-call from the Brooks hit? I personally don't think the media or the Saints would be discussing the controversial "non-call," and would be replayed as a game changing sack.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

keep in mind Matt Ryan is 6'4"
Drew Brees is is 6'0"

But he clearly wasnt trying to go high on the QB there...
To play into the conspiracy theorist notion a bit (b/c I'm bored now), isn't it ironic that in 3 of our biggest games over the past 3 years, all contained critical calls against us in the the final 3 minutes only to be shoved in our faces the very next game. NFCCG - Bradshaw fumble to seal the win. No fumble. In the Superbowl, the EXACT same scenario plays out = fumble. Superbowl - there can't be a next game here but this one is well documented esp. the P.I. on Culliver. Saints game - vying for the #2 record in the NFC and ultimately, securing a playoff spot, Brooks happens. The very next week WITH a Saints player, well, you know. Anyhow, like the previous poster noted, in a game where two teams are very equal, often times one call (or non-call) IS the difference in a game. And what's the one thing the NFL-Vegas can control via a gag order rule with the media...the ref(s). How you get a collective group of refs together, all on the same page, to NOT call one single holding (er, tackling) penalty on the safety play in the Superbowl screams of "organization" to me. OK, have at it folks. LOL Hell, even the replacement refs disagrees on a questionable call (TD, no INT). Well. Organized.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 22, 2013 at 1:41 PM ]
The way that I look at it is that there is a distinction of what happened in the occasions, and I'm sure this argument will exist for a long time to come, but in the case of Ahmad Brooks-the initial contact was made on the shoulder pad and contact made on the neck area as Brees was falling, which is non-forceful contact, it is not a hit but a contact that so happen to take place as the object was falling, not a hit. NBC Sports published the nfl rule at http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/19/harbaugh-apparently-didnt-know-the-rule-for-roughing-the-quarterback/ "Rule 12, Section 2, Article 9 sets forth the standards for roughing the passer. "Referees will be particularly alert to fouls in which defenders impermissibly use the helmet and/or facemask to hit the passer, or use hands, arms or other parts of the body to hit the passer forcibly in the head or neck area." (Emphasis supplied.)" My interpretation of this rule is that it has to be a "hit" or some type of rip or something done with malicious intent to the head/neck area, passive/coincidental/non-forceful contact such as a finger or hand brushing making brief contact (as in this case) on those areas in a passive brushing fashion is legal as it is not a hit. To me, Hicks hit on Ryan, to me appeared to grab the face mask in a forceful motion and was used to initiate a hitting motion and to me should have been a penalty, Brooks, on the other hand, the object was falling and was in non-forceful contact fashion, and to me should not have been a foul. I look at the situation as that the NFL has an issue in regulating the rules of the game and I hope they start putting things in place to make it more down the middle.