There are 247 users in the forums

Can Someone Explain How It Wasn't a Penalty?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RizWZvwOrfA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRizWZvwOrfA

It was said we don't want officials deciding games. Just be consistent is all I ask

The ref couldn't see it from the view he was standing at.
Right in front of the play
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Thank-you. I am so tired of the Ref conspiracy theory. The team has put themselves into these positions and have the chance to finish off the game and came up short or made a mistake and didn't win. It is all on the team Offense, Defense and special teams along with the coaches all 4 parts have made critical mistakes at critical time in the game
this times infinity, let this s**t end and move onto monday. blaming the refs is just a feeble excuse. what is next, blaming the weather monday night if we lose because it will be 30 degrees?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Time to move on guys!!

Hard for some of us to let go so early ...that call cost us the game, and hopefully it doesnt become a factor when getting in position for the playoffs, our destiny shouldnt be dictated by a horrible call...

I want Kaep to get those kind of calls too ...to me the League was protecting one of it's most marketable players, I'm gonna b***h about this until MNF
the horrid offense in the 4th quarter, no first downs and minus 14 yards in offense is the reason why the team lost the game, sheesh. the tone of ineptness by the coaches that day was set early with a time out on the second play and moronic use of the challenge by the head of the rattlesnake. no should care about this anymore as we are on the eve of a huge game that if we lose it will end our playoff hopes in my opinion and make us a official laughing stock , losing to the skins on national tv
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
His forearm hit the upper chest. If he did really hit the neck, it wouldnt be flying out like it did when Brooks smashed him.

Not a penalty.

I so agree with this, Brees, if he was hit in the neck with that type of force, would have been taken off of the field on a kart.
if you've moved on. you're free to not click on this thread.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
So he needs to summon the explosion and aggression to rip through a 300 lb plus OT to reach the QB and hit him in the breast plate . . . then stop on a dime?

Check.

Start at 21 seconds in that video and keep your eye on Brook's right arm. You see how he pushes down on Brees' neck, enough so that after Brees is out of his grasp his arm's momentum continues in a half circle? That is the foul. And YES, he IS expected to be able to pay a hit without continuing his swing through on the guys neck.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

since i agreed with the call, i am not a true fan so what the hell.
Great hit by Brooks. Great play all the way around regardless of the rule. There was no helmet contact at all and the only contact with Brees neck was on the way to the ground. BUT because it looked violent they threw the flag. Brooks played the edge as good as you're going to see and there was no way to not commit a foul unless he just makes a weak ass attempt to swipe the ball and just runs right on by. They should have kept the flag in their pocket. cc, you would agree with the call. Personally I thought it sucked. So did the rest of the country outside of Louisiana. Also, I believe they'd have kept that flag in their pocket, had it been a qb not named Brees, Manning, Brady, or Rodgers.

In my opinion, it's difficult to move on because it feels like the league is constantly singling out the 49ers, the blown calls two years ago in the NFC title game, the blown calls last year in the SuperBowl that cost the 49ers the game. When a taste like that is left with a fan and it seems to be constantly happening, can't help to constantly feel the frustration with the league, as it seems like they are not doing anything about it. Not to mention the two pass interference calls that it appears to me that the officials have blown in that same game against us, how is one to feel with those seemingly recurring patterns?
Originally posted by supertruck97:
If you are posting the gif of the hit as justification for saying it was not illegal, you are either being willfully ignorant or you are a few crayons short of a box. The penalty was not for the initial hit (which is what the gif shows over and over and over again). The initial hit was just fine. He hit him on the shoulder pad. Nothing wrong with that.

However, he didn't just hit him int he shoulder pad and knock him down, he continued the tackle as brees was falling backwards, and continued to apply force to the head/neck area:

That's the penalty. If Brooks had knocked the crap out of him and let him fall, it would have been a clean hit. But, as this picture CLEARLY shows, Brooks continued to engage him (you can see his right hand is still grasping and pulling on Bree's neck/face) on the way down.

I also agree that if you saw that hit real time, and didn't wait a tick to be sure a flag wasn't going to be thrown, then you have not been paying attention the last 5 years. You have to hold off celebration on every big hit, every sack, every pass break-up, because in TODAY'S NFL, those things are often called penalties.

It's hilarious that some of you are so up in arms about this call, saying it cost the 9ers the game. They had the ball with 2 min to go and the game tied and could barely manage positive yardage. What makes you think they would have done anything differently with 3 minutes to go? Let's say the exact same sequence of events happened. And around 50-60 seconds were run off the clock before the Saints got the ball back, down 3. Is there any doubt that the outcome would have likely been the same? The offense had done nothing all day, outside of being handed points by only having to go 11 and 16 yards to get a TD. And the Saints had basically moved at will and shot themselves in the foot with TOs. In all likelihood, with 2 minutes to go, Brees drives them down the field and instead of holding up and playing for a FG to tie, they go for the end zone and win it with a TD.

There were plenty of chances to win that game, and the 9ers took advantage of none of them. "Questionable" call or not.

the bold has been my contention all week. i actually didnt have a huge problem with brooks hit but felt right away it was in that 50-50 zone where it gets called sometimes and doesnt others.

Originally posted by cciowa:

since i agreed with the call, i am not a true fan so what the hell.

So he needs to summon the explosion and aggression to rip through a 300 lb plus OT to reach the QB and hit him in the breast plate . . . then stop on a dime?

Check.

Start at 21 seconds in that video and keep your eye on Brook's right arm. You see how he pushes down on Brees' neck, enough so that after Brees is out of his grasp his arm's momentum continues in a half circle? That is the foul. And YES, he IS expected to be able to pay a hit without continuing his swing through on the guys neck.

Prett obvious that brooks was making sure he went down since he didnt get a good grab on brees..but...

youre saying Brooks should have tapped him on the shoulder and politely ask Brees to lay on the ground. give me a break

Brees weighs as much as a elementary school girl and is why the hit looks worse then it was
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Nov 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Check.

So youre saying Brooks should have tapped him on the shoulder and politely ask Brees to lay on the ground. give me a break

Brees weighs as much as a elementary school girl and is why the hit looks worse then it was

Yup. If Brook ducked lower they would of called spearing or leading with the helmet or whatever else they could arbitrarily concoct in order to call it a foul simply because the hit was hard.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Prett obvious that brooks was making sure he went down since he didnt get a good grab on brees..but...

youre saying Brooks should have tapped him on the shoulder and politely ask Brees to lay on the ground. give me a break

Per NFL.com, Brees weighs 209 lbs and is around 6 feet tall.

Donte Whitner is listed at 5'10" and 208 Lbs. Does he weigh as much as an elementary school girl? How about 5'7" 199 lb Kendall Hunter? Or 5'9", 195 lb LaMichael James? Shoot, Frank Gore is only 5'9" and 217, only 8 pounds heavier than Brees.

Here are some others:

Joe Montana: 6'2", 200 Lbs
Steve Young: 6'2", 215 Lbs

Get outta here with the ridiculous weight/size foolishness. Its embarrassing....
[ Edited by supertruck97 on Nov 21, 2013 at 1:13 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone