LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 399 users in the forums

Can Someone Explain How It Wasn't a Penalty?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I hear the proceeds from the fine are going to help pay for the installation of Drew's new vagina.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by iluvdemniners:
that was the worst call i've ever seen. true niners fans will never turn on our team

indeed

you guys are funny,, some of us happen to think it was the right call or actually really do not care anymore and think we should move on to monday and we are not true fans
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 951NINER:
My final thought on this issue: All the fans in here that believe it was the right call to make and blame the team for not playing better are the same type of guys that blame themselves when they find out their girlfriend is cheating on them. Maybe if they would have done something different during the relationship maybe she would not have cheated on him. In Football terms he sounds like this " Maybe if Gore would have not dropped that pass" we would have won..Maybe if Osgood doesn't commit that penalty we would have stopped them and won..."

Bottom line, NFL games are very hard to win and you don't always need to play perfect to win but to have the officials decide it on a "judgement" call is what drives us all nuts.

There are a lot of idiotic posts in NT...this one is near the top. I do think the call was wrong...but I also believe that Niners controlled their own destiny and should have won regardless of that call. Responding to your ridiculous analogy...I'd say guys who think refs are the reason why we lost the game are the guys who like to blame others for their failures. I also think such guys have a tough time keeping their girls from banging other dudes because it takes a man to self-critique. Most girls don't like men who won't take responsibility. Have you noticed...most of the top athletes critique themselves more than others. There is a reason for it.

What drives me nuts is...when ppl b***h about missing deadlines because something came up on the last second and fail to mention that they could have managed it better. My response to them is, hey motherf**ker! Should have not left it for the last second when you had plenty of opportunities to finish it earlier. See...how that works.

When you generalize and paint everyone with a broad brush...all you do is prove that you have no capacity to understand the counter argument. So stop generalizing it. It can be done the other way around too. Yes, NFL games are very hard to win...and in the perfect World - refs would never make a mistake. But, refs make mistakes. Players can't do anything when refs make mistakes...but they can do something about their own mistakes.
[ Edited by 4ML on Nov 20, 2013 at 8:57 PM ]
Originally posted by 4ML:
Originally posted by 951NINER:
My final thought on this issue: All the fans in here that believe it was the right call to make and blame the team for not playing better are the same type of guys that blame themselves when they find out their girlfriend is cheating on them. Maybe if they would have done something different during the relationship maybe she would not have cheated on him. In Football terms he sounds like this " Maybe if Gore would have not dropped that pass" we would have won..Maybe if Osgood doesn't commit that penalty we would have stopped them and won..."

Bottom line, NFL games are very hard to win and you don't always need to play perfect to win but to have the officials decide it on a "judgement" call is what drives us all nuts.

There are a lot of idiotic posts in NT...this one is near the top. I do think the call was wrong...but I also believe that Niners controlled their own destiny and should have won regardless of that call. Responding to your ridiculous analogy...I'd say guys who think refs are the reason why we lost the game are the guys who like to blame others for their failures. I also think such guys have a tough time keeping their girls from banging other dudes because it takes a man to self-critique. Most girls don't like men who won't take responsibility. Have you noticed...most of the top athletes critique themselves more than others. There is a reason for it.

What drives me nuts is...when ppl b***h about missing deadlines because something came up on the last second and fail to mention that they could have managed it better. My response to them is, hey motherf**ker! Should have not left it for the last second when you had plenty of opportunities to finish it earlier. See...how that works.

When you generalize and paint everyone with a broad brush...all you do is prove that you have no capacity to understand the counter argument. So stop generalizing it. It can be done the other way around too. Yes, NFL games are very hard to win...and in the perfect World - refs would never make a mistake. But, refs make mistakes. Players can't do anything when refs make mistakes...but they can do something about their own mistakes.
Thank-you. I am so tired of the Ref conspiracy theory. The team has put themselves into these positions and have the chance to finish off the game and came up short or made a mistake and didn't win. It is all on the team Offense, Defense and special teams along with the coaches all 4 parts have made critical mistakes at critical time in the game.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Thank-you. I am so tired of the Ref conspiracy theory. The team has put themselves into these positions and have the chance to finish off the game and came up short or made a mistake and didn't win. It is all on the team Offense, Defense and special teams along with the coaches all 4 parts have made critical mistakes at critical time in the game.

To say people shouldn't complain because the team made mistakes that also lost the game seems beside the point. I'm not crying over the call but when a call, late in the game, is called against your team in error...it's OK to talk about it. This is similar, though not as egregious, as the Seattle/GB call last year...sad to end a game like that. As far as bad calls go, they usually even out over the season. My major complaint is that the rules may be more damaging in the end than helpful. Really think they are putting defenders in a position to commit really hard fouls if there is any doubt. Make it pay if you are going to be fined and penalized.
Actually... just watched the hit agaiin http://youtu.be/owmvwVyP0nM

It's clearly a good flag.. sorry folks... if this happened to Kap you wouldn't think twice... It was a hit to the head.
Originally posted by NinersGiants:
Actually... just watched the hit agaiin http://youtu.be/owmvwVyP0nM

It's clearly a good flag.. sorry folks... if this happened to Kap you wouldn't think twice... It was a hit to the head.

It wasn't a hit to the HEAD!!! The argument is that it was a hit to the neck.
Time to move on guys!!
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Time to move on guys!!

Agreed.

It was a horrible call; it's not the main reason we lost the game. Maybe not even the #2 or #3 reason why we lost.

It was a miracle we were in the game at all (thank you Bubba Ventrone and Saints cornerback).

But you need miracles when your offense cannot buy a first down. Another butt ugly performance all around.

Let's figure out how to make it better.
I believe we lost these last 2 games because of our pitiful offense BUT I am also tired of this lingerie league football. You suit up be ready to be hit and hit hard. That is the game and save the laundry for malicious and irresponsible hits. This was not an instance where a defender without a doubt had ill will and went head hunting. Brooks was sprinting to the QB and tackled Brees as you are taught nowadays. Do any of you know how tackling is taught? A lot of my buddies are coaches and I see them coach it and one is a Saints fan and he said the call is bulls***. Now I concede that real time bang bang there was grounds to throw the flag but this was the wrong call and the $16k fine is preposterous. We lost due to our offense but the flag was not up to snuff
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Nov 21, 2013 at 5:16 AM ]

• Jiks
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I believe we lost these last 2 games because of our pitiful offense BUT I am also tired of this lingerie league football. You suit up be ready to be hit and hit hard. That is the game and save the laundry for malicious and irresponsible hits. This was not an instance where a defender without a doubt had ill will and went head hunting. Brooks was sprinting to the QB and tackled Brees as you are taught nowadays. Do any of you know how tackling is taught? A lot of my buddies are coaches and I see them coach it and one is a Saints fan and he said the call is bulls***. Now I concede that real time bang bang there was grounds to throw the flag but this was the wrong call and the $16k fine is preposterous. We lost due to our offense but the flag was not up to snuff

What do all you expect the NFL to do after they just paid $750,000,000 in lawsuits? That's almost a billion dollars. The past players have forced this, not the NFL itself. I think they deserve most if not all of the blame myself.

All this blame on the NFL and refs is completely unfair, and I really don't know what people expect them to do. Their hands are tied.
If you are posting the gif of the hit as justification for saying it was not illegal, you are either being willfully ignorant or you are a few crayons short of a box. The penalty was not for the initial hit (which is what the gif shows over and over and over again). The initial hit was just fine. He hit him on the shoulder pad. Nothing wrong with that.

However, he didn't just hit him int he shoulder pad and knock him down, he continued the tackle as brees was falling backwards, and continued to apply force to the head/neck area:

That's the penalty. If Brooks had knocked the crap out of him and let him fall, it would have been a clean hit. But, as this picture CLEARLY shows, Brooks continued to engage him (you can see his right hand is still grasping and pulling on Bree's neck/face) on the way down.

I also agree that if you saw that hit real time, and didn't wait a tick to be sure a flag wasn't going to be thrown, then you have not been paying attention the last 5 years. You have to hold off celebration on every big hit, every sack, every pass break-up, because in TODAY'S NFL, those things are often called penalties.

It's hilarious that some of you are so up in arms about this call, saying it cost the 9ers the game. They had the ball with 2 min to go and the game tied and could barely manage positive yardage. What makes you think they would have done anything differently with 3 minutes to go? Let's say the exact same sequence of events happened. And around 50-60 seconds were run off the clock before the Saints got the ball back, down 3. Is there any doubt that the outcome would have likely been the same? The offense had done nothing all day, outside of being handed points by only having to go 11 and 16 yards to get a TD. And the Saints had basically moved at will and shot themselves in the foot with TOs. In all likelihood, with 2 minutes to go, Brees drives them down the field and instead of holding up and playing for a FG to tie, they go for the end zone and win it with a TD.

There were plenty of chances to win that game, and the 9ers took advantage of none of them. "Questionable" call or not.
Originally posted by supertruck97:

However, he didn't just hit him int he shoulder pad and knock him down, he continued the tackle as brees was falling backwards, and continued to apply force to the head/neck area:

This picture seems to indicate that Brooks was breaking his fall and helping Brees. Or it could show just about anything...you need to watch the video of the whole hit to see it was a clean hit. But Brees is accorded Super Star status and if this had happened to CK it would not have been called.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Time to move on guys!!

Hard for some of us to let go so early ...that call cost us the game, and hopefully it doesnt become a factor when getting in position for the playoffs, our destiny shouldnt be dictated by a horrible call...

I want Kaep to get those kind of calls too ...to me the League was protecting one of it's most marketable players, I'm gonna b***h about this until MNF
Originally posted by supertruck97:
If you are posting the gif of the hit as justification for saying it was not illegal, you are either being willfully ignorant or you are a few crayons short of a box. The penalty was not for the initial hit (which is what the gif shows over and over and over again). The initial hit was just fine. He hit him on the shoulder pad. Nothing wrong with that.

That's the penalty. If Brooks had knocked the crap out of him and let him fall, it would have been a clean hit. But, as this picture CLEARLY shows, Brooks continued to engage him (you can see his right hand is still grasping and pulling on Bree's neck/face) on the way down.

I also agree that if you saw that hit real time, and didn't wait a tick to be sure a flag wasn't going to be thrown, then you have not been paying attention the last 5 years. You have to hold off celebration on every big hit, every sack, every pass break-up, because in TODAY'S NFL, those things are often called penalties.

It's hilarious that some of you are so up in arms about this call, saying it cost the 9ers the game. They had the ball with 2 min to go and the game tied and could barely manage positive yardage. What makes you think they would have done anything differently with 3 minutes to go? Let's say the exact same sequence of events happened. And around 50-60 seconds were run off the clock before the Saints got the ball back, down 3. Is there any doubt that the outcome would have likely been the same? The offense had done nothing all day, outside of being handed points by only having to go 11 and 16 yards to get a TD. And the Saints had basically moved at will and shot themselves in the foot with TOs. In all likelihood, with 2 minutes to go, Brees drives them down the field and instead of holding up and playing for a FG to tie, they go for the end zone and win it with a TD.

There were plenty of chances to win that game, and the 9ers took advantage of none of them. "Questionable" call or not.

So he needs to summon the explosion and aggression to rip through a 300 lb plus OT to reach the QB and hit him in the breast plate . . . then stop on a dime?

Check.
Share 49ersWebzone