LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

Can Someone Explain How It Wasn't a Penalty?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by T-9ers:
You're wrong. It was clean and a matter of basic physics.

lol...the Refs want him to stop on a dime. hug the waist and properly lay Brees down and tuck him in. all in a matter of 3 seconds

they've gone the extra mile to protect the qbs, its not new. i've begun to realize how many fans basically just watch their team for the most part. flipping around on a random sunday to other games and you see borderline roughing the passer calls all the time.

I'm more upset about it because it happened to the niners than if it happened to be to another team (and in no way am i saying this is the only reason they lost this game).

but i've been saying for a while now the "safety" rules are BS, and Goodell is full of crap when it comes to wanting to protect the players. it's the biggest smokescreen in the history of the NFL.
I would love to see Brooks or Aldon with a clean run at RG3 Monday night, then just pull up and bear hug him until the whistle blows simply to mock the NFL. Similar to Aldon sprinting off the field after a sack to avoid a celebration penalty.
Originally posted by KegBert:
This call makes me sad for the future of football. If the NFL continues down this path they may effectively take the "sack" out of the game.

I say do it and be done with it. Make QBs wear flags and all of this goes away. But that won't happen because roughing calls are too convenient a means of affecting the outcome of the game. I watch Cam, Kap, and RG3 get taken down by the neck/helmet ALL THE TIME and it's rarely called. Not mention the ridiculous amount of late hits they absorb.

My beef here is not that it was called, it's the fact that its called so inconsistently. I watched Kap get taken down by the neck and by his facemask in that very same game and not a peep from the refs.

And the controversy that followed proves that the public is now noticing that the NFL plays favorites.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by T-9ers:
You're wrong. It was clean and a matter of basic physics.

lol...the Refs want him to stop on a dime. hug the waist and properly lay Brees down and tuck him in. all in a matter of 3 seconds

they've gone the extra mile to protect the qbs, its not new. i've begun to realize how many fans basically just watch their team for the most part. flipping around on a random sunday to other games and you see borderline roughing the passer calls all the time.

I'm more upset about it because it happened to the niners than if it happened to be to another team (and in no way am i saying this is the only reason they lost this game).

but i've been saying for a while now the "safety" rules are BS, and Goodell is full of crap when it comes to wanting to protect the players. it's the biggest smokescreen in the history of the NFL.

We all know there are other reasons why we lost. This thread is to complain about one of those reasons. Nobody is being brilliant when they say, oh but osgood, but kap, but offense, but, but, but.... Yeah, we get it already.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I would love to see Brooks or Aldon with a clean run at RG3 Monday night, then just pull up and bear hug him until the whistle blows simply to mock the NFL. Similar to Aldon sprinting off the field after a sack to avoid a celebration penalty.

They should do it. Evert defense player should as a means of protest. That would be hilarious.

That's what I said...a CLEAN run at him, totally pull back and throw up both hands, on national TV, if they did this, I guarantee you EVERY single defensive player (current and ex) will stand and applaud that move. And I'm not even joking. Like Lewis said, it's an absolute INSULT to these players and their OWN health as well...just ask our own Eric Reid.

Similar concept to Aldon running off the field, sitting down abruptly and sitting their quietly (like his parents asked of him)...after what? After a questionable fine for removing his helmet the previous game. Hmmmmm.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 20, 2013 at 1:47 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

That's what I said...a CLEAN run at him on national TV, if they did this, I guarantee you EVERY single defensive player (current and ex) will stand and applaud that move. And I'm ot joking. Like Lewis said, it's an absolute INSULT to these players and their OWN health as well...just ask our own Eric Reid.

Similar concept to Aldon running off the field, sitting down abruptly and sitting their quietly (like his parents asked of him).

that would be hilarious.

but remember what happened to kiwanuka a few years back also because he was afraid of getting a 15 yard penalty. (0:40) we're about to get more of it......

[ Edited by 49erfeeeever808 on Nov 20, 2013 at 1:47 PM ]

That's what I said...a CLEAN run at him on national TV, if they did this, I guarantee you EVERY single defensive player (current and ex) will stand and applaud that move. And I'm ot joking. Like Lewis said, it's an absolute INSULT to these players and their OWN health as well...just ask our own Eric Reid.

Similar concept to Aldon running off the field, sitting down abruptly and sitting their quietly (like his parents asked of him).

that would be hilarious.

but remember what happened to kiwanuka a few years back also because he was afraid of getting a 15 yard penalty. (0:40) we're about to get more of it......

This is what the league wanted Brooks to do in that situation. Let up, watch Brees slip away and hit a WR for a strike and then Brooks gets rippped...

that would be hilarious.

My God. And THAT is why that Brooks hit was so text book. If Brooks doesn't hit him just right, these QB's can often times absorb the hit and just spin off it. His right arm around the clavicle/ahoulder ensures if he did spin, he still could make the tackle. Same concept of a DB securing the tackle while also going for the ball.
LOL @ the NFL. They think fining Brooks somehow validates the call proving they are right. Nobody is buying this BS. Let's see if Ray Lewis and Bruschi step up and actually pay part of his fine like they said they would.

If the XFL started next season, I'd probably watch. I miss football...I don't recognize this sport anymore.
@Eric_Branch RT @AdamSchefter: ESPN analyst Ray Lewis: "I will see Ahmad on Monday and I will have a check in hand for half of the fine." #49ers

Man of his word. Good for him!

Now, think about THIS one...will the NFL allow ESPN to run with this story or are they going to try and shut it down to avoid any more backlash and poor publicity? My guess is that there is no such thing as bad publicity, therefore, Lewis is going to probably make a spectacle of it and maybe have 18 of his closest friends there to share in his sentiments on this issue/topic (which is MUCH bigger than the hit itself).

Then again, would anyone be shocked if this was "quiet" on Monday night while they direct the media to RGII for 95% of the show? Not me...not one bit. It will be fun to watch.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 20, 2013 at 2:10 PM ]
@Eric_Branch RT @AdamSchefter: ESPN analyst Ray Lewis: "I will see Ahmad on Monday and I will have a check in hand for half of the fine." #49ers

Now, think about THIS one...will the NFL allow ESPN run with this story or are they going to try and shut it down to avoid any more backlash and poor publicity? My guess is that there is no such thing as bad publicity, therefore, Lewis is going to probably make a spectacle of it and maybe have 18 of his closest friends there to share in his sentiments on this issue/topic (which is MUCH bigger than the hit itself). Then again, would anyone be shocked if this "quiet" on Monday night? Not me...not one bit. It will be fun to watch.

I hope the players do not let this go quietly. I doubt it'll change anything...as long as people keep buying tickets and merchandise.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Now, think about THIS one...will the NFL allow ESPN run with this story or are they going to try and shut it down to avoid any more backlash and poor publicity? My guess is that there is no such thing as bad publicity, therefore, Lewis is going to probably make a spectacle of it and maybe have 18 of his closest friends there to share in his sentiments on this issue/topic (which is MUCH bigger than the hit itself). Then again, would anyone be shocked if this "quiet" on Monday night? Not me...not one bit. It will be fun to watch.

I hope the players do not let this go quietly. I doubt it'll change anything...as long as people keep buying tickets and merchandise.

I know but as a player who genuinely loves the game and to see it come to this, what more can they do? Now IS the time to unite and blast back given the recent settlement. And these players are only asking to play a fair game, something Steve Young and Trent Dilfer said they talk about all the time...that it's NOT a fair game. All players want health/safety interjected into the forefront of players minds. The funny thing is the hit by Brooks didn't endager or even hurt Brees...his own HELMET hurt his lip upon the whiplash. Is that a safety concern? No hit to the head. No spearing shoulder into the rib cage. No ripping his neck around via a facemask. Nothing.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
that would be hilarious.

Kiwanuka thought he threw the ball.
Share 49ersWebzone