There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Can Someone Explain How It Wasn't a Penalty?

Originally posted by Dshearn:
That has to be called.

It was to close to being a foul...

In real time, full speed....they have to call that a foul.

Course....it was not a foul. That was a legit hit.

which is exactly WHY the refs shouldn't be too stubborn or embarrassed to pick the flag up and say "my bad, yo."
if brees wouldn't be a midget we wouldn't be having this discussion
It's all up to the ref

Seemed like the point of contact was the shoulder/ chest. Momentum resulted in the arm moving up to the neck
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
This is my thing... I'm not mad at the call, it was a vicious hit, but it was clean. They should review this type of penalty, because the punishment (and fine that will be soon to follow) is just too harsh. It totally negates the play, PLUS you get 15 yards?! The refs should have to go in and look at the hit and see where the INITIAL blow was around the shoulder pads and chest. If there is contact to the head or neck after the initial blow then that should just be considered nature of physics. With the game on the line like that and as borderline as the hit was you have to let that one go refs. The defense made a great play, got to the QB and made a turnover that could have sealed the game.

Can't really argue with this. Not all penalties should be reviewable but in cases like this, it wouldn't hurt anything.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
It's all up to the ref

Seemed like the point of contact was the shoulder/ chest. Momentum resulted in the arm moving up to the neck

More like Brees FALLING to the ground into Brooks arms. The other way would be reverse-physics.
He gets part of the facemask? Yeah.. no
It was absolutely not a penalty. It was refs injecting themselves where they don't belong. The best play of the game stolen by the refs. But I guess we have known that for years if you play in NO Seattle or gb. They always throw a few lets save the saints flags. Same in the other f**king places. The league doesn't even try to hide who they want to win anymore. pathetic!

Penalty, no penalty. Garbage.
[ Edited by Black24Razor on Nov 18, 2013 at 8:33 AM ]
Originally posted by LSUSON:
Saints fan here. Not here to troll. Your D played its butt off. In regards to the hit on Brees, yes it was a penalty. It shouldn't have come down to a fg if our idiot backup db can just hold onto the ball to score a td. What surprised me was how well the Saints D controlled the line of scrimmage and kept the running game in check. Please beat the sea chickens at home. I still think you guys will get one of the wild card spots. Hope you guys have strong finish free from injuries.

That play was clean, but in real time I understand why it was called. BUT the NFL needs to review these plays.

People are saying it was only one play, blah blah blah, the team could have played better in other areas. Fact of the matter is, these games come down to 3 or 4 big plays. To have the ref fumble the ball on this one is crazy. Congratulations, your corner fumbled away a pick 6....vernon davis was also held in the endzone and Frank Gore dropped a probable touch down.

You didn't do anything special, all decent defenses have been controlling the LOS bc they stack the box and Kap/coaches cant figure out how to throw the ball.

The 49ers probably won't beat the seahawks, you guys have no chance against them, at all - hopefully the 49ers can make the playoffs, be at 100% with all our players back and in condition, i.e. Aldon Smith no puking on the sidelines because he's sick, and pay you a visit in the playoffs. THEN we'll see what happens to Mr. Brees and his long neck.
Originally posted by Hopper:

Looks like a head hit to me.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Nov 18, 2013 at 8:34 AM ]
It was the wrong call. Brooks arm clearly wrapped across Brees shoulder pad.
It wasn't a penalty! The same way holding Baldwin all the way down the field twice wasn't a penalty, the same way holding VD wasn't a penalty!

Refs can choose to throw a flag on any play, that play was not a blow to the head or neck area. A blow to the head and neck area is much different than what the film shows. The blow was to the chest area, no matter how you or the nfl will try and spin it. The refs were clearly on the saints side when you look at how they allowed them to hold our receivers after the 5 yard mark all day and then the BS call on Brees!
Will brooks get fined?
Originally posted by glorydayz:
It wasn't a penalty! The same way holding Baldwin all the way down the field twice wasn't a penalty, the same way holding VD wasn't a penalty!

Refs can choose to throw a flag on any play, that play was not a blow to the head or neck area. A blow to the head and neck area is much different than what the film shows. The blow was to the chest area, no matter how you or the nfl will try and spin it. The refs were clearly on the saints side when you look at how they allowed them to hold our receivers after the 5 yard mark all day and then the BS call on Brees!

The flag on Justin smith
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by Hopper:

Looks like a head hit to me.

This is simple physics...Brooks also lets go at this exact moment as he catches his balance. Brees turns INTO Brooks initially and the contact is so hard Brees instantly is flying to the ground up into Brooks arms. He's not holding or ripping his facemask here (he's riding him to the ground while trying to maintain his upright balance). If you watch the whole play you clearly see Brooks let go as quickly as he hits him to ensure he doesn't get a foul.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM ]