LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 219 users in the forums

Can Someone Explain How It Wasn't a Penalty?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LSUSON:
Saints fan here. Not here to troll. Your D played its butt off. In regards to the hit on Brees, yes it was a penalty. It shouldn't have come down to a fg if our idiot backup db can just hold onto the ball to score a td. What surprised me was how well the Saints D controlled the line of scrimmage and kept the running game in check. Please beat the sea chickens at home. I still think you guys will get one of the wild card spots. Hope you guys have strong finish free from injuries.

We'll see you in the playoffs.
Still think it was a terrible call that only certain QBs get. If you can't do that to a QB, then just make them play with a little pink tutu skirt already.
Absolutely NOT a penalty.

He wasn't hit in the neck geniuses
It wasn't a penalty. Notice how his arm was bent when hitting him. If it was straight, then yes. It was close but not a penalty.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
I just don't see how this is not a penalty? The initial hit was fine, but the fact that his arms slid up to the neck and head(even a facemask) make this 100% a penalty. I just see so many people blaming the refs when I think it's the correct call.

This looks like a clean hit here. But...

How is this not a penalty? He gets part the facemask and clearly has his hand right on the neck and head area. He also somewhat forces the head down. Even if it was "close" refs are going to call this.

I'm not trying to be anti 49ers here but I don't understand all the complaining on this. I personally feel it was the right call. This is something you cannot do period refs are pretty much forced to call this weather he actually got the head and neck... Especially with the name Brees on the back.

We had many other chances to win this game. I just don't feel the refs had anything to do with the loss.

Hey, I know a cheap shot when I see one and the only cheap shot was from the ref making the call. Sorry dude, that was ticky tack... Where's the face mask you speak of, he doesn't touch the face mask, or rip off his helmet, or tackle his neck, it's almost all shoulder as he grazes the neck area. Not his fault Breeze ducks out of the way. The more disturbing issue here is why I even have to defend a bad call with another Niner fan. Dude, what colors do you wear on Sunday?
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan

Bad call, but if I am a fan of the Saints, I see it as a penalty. It should not, however, have come down to one play. A special teams breakdown put us in that position.
Trying to be objective as I can on this one but I still don't understand this call. I'm only going to focus on the call, not all the OTHER reasons we lost...stay on topic people. I can certainly understand the call in real-speed. It looked brutal. But Brees is 5'10" and Brooks is 6'3." He is coming full speed getting pushed by an OT. It's the "intent" of the hit...clearly, there was no helmet to helmet or shoulder to facemask hit. It's impossible to hit a QB in the upper chest and then LET GO...he too will be falling to the ground. The whip lash slammed Brees helmet against his face. Unfortunate call, no doubt. In real-life football, to make this "legal" Brooks would have to make an additional move (dip down). That is enough time for Brees to get rid of the ball. Brooks is also making TWO moves here...he is hitting the QB, taking him down AND trying to force a fumble. If he had wrapped his arm around the QB like a choke-hold to bring him down, helmet-to-helmet or shoulder to facemask, I can understand it more. But like I said, in real time, it looked violent b/c Brooks is 260 pounds and Brees is 160 and his head whipped back...so in real time I can understand that call but that one play is the difference between being 7-3 and 2nd in the NFC and fighting to even get into the playoffs. It's too bad critical calls like this can not be reviewed. It just wasn't meant to be.

How bad was this call? Even the NY-biased NFL network referred to it as a "horrible call."
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 18, 2013 at 7:30 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
as said before, it makes fans feel better to blame the loss on that but the idiot penalty on the punt really cost the team,, also negative yards on offense in the fourth quarter. jesus. then you wonder why we can not beat a team with a winning record. breakdowns in all areas at key times, zero pass protection(which has always been a issue with this team no matter the quarterback) roman ,penalties. not sure whats going on with this team , aside from roman. I know some fans say we are "fine", and those of us who point out problem areas which are so obvious are chicken little people but right now you better hope the team can beat the teams with losing records for the rest of the way because we probably will not beat seattle at home due to them having a good record. hope for a wild card game and hope to play a nfc east team. of course a loss monday to a respectable team at their place would destroy the teams playoff chances. the offense was just horrid to watch yesterday esp in the fourth quarter when we need them to be good and when good teams finish strong, oh well it obviously does not bother roman and Jh so why should it bother us
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
as said before, it makes fans feel better to blame the loss on that but the idiot penalty on the punt really cost the team,, also negative yards on offense in the fourth quarter. jesus. then you wonder why we can not beat a team with a winning record. breakdowns in all areas at key times, zero pass protection(which has always been a issue with this team no matter the quarterback) roman ,penalties. not sure whats going on with this team , aside from roman. I know some fans say we are "fine", and those of us who point out problem areas which are so obvious are chicken little people but right now you better hope the team can beat the teams with losing records for the rest of the way because we probably will not beat seattle at home due to them having a good record. hope for a wild card game and hope to play a nfc east team. of course a loss monday to a respectable team at their place would destroy the teams playoff chances. the offense was just horrid to watch yesterday esp in the fourth quarter when we need them to be good and when good teams finish strong, oh well it obviously does not bother roman and Jh so why should it bother us
Originally posted by NCommand:
Trying to be objective as I can on this one but I still don't understand this call.

Yeah, I don't see why they can't do the "college SOP" when plays like this occur. In college, they stop the game a few minutes and give plays like targeting a review. Plays like the Brees hit should be reviewed the same way. Get the call right. So you have to delay the game a few minutes (really, it should take 10 damn seconds)... but get it right.

Originally posted by 11OnDaField1NMyHeart:
from the PL

LOL! OMFG!!!
First there was no facemask. You have to grab the mask and essentially pull it.

This is a BS call, and the NFL needs to fix these issues. Stop with the BS calls, or start penalizing offensive players who put themselves in a dangerous position by ducking. Start calling more holding when the defender beats the linemen.

My vote is, everyone knows it is a contact sport, you signed up for it and get played well for it.
It sucks being penalized on a great defensive play that would have been a top ten hit just not long ago.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Trying to be objective as I can on this one but I still don't understand this call.

Yeah, I don't see why they can't do the "college SOP" when plays like this occur. In college, they stop the game a few minutes and give plays like targeting a review. Plays like the Brees hit should be reviewed the same way. Get the call right. So you have to delay the game a few minutes (really, it should take 10 damn seconds)... but get it right.

I don't understand it either. And yes, I remember the Rice fumble against GB that was called in our favor. I don't care. I want the game called with integrity. I want it called right. There are 22 BIG bodies on that field, some running 4.2's and we expect refs to get a call like this right in real-time? Yet, these calls, esp. in football when there are only 16 games, are THE difference in the season.
That has to be called.

It was to close to being a foul...

In real time, full speed....they have to call that a foul.

Course....it was not a foul. That was a legit hit.
Share 49ersWebzone