LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh's Loyalty Towards His Coordinators

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Jim Harbaugh's Loyalty Towards His Coordinators

Originally posted by gold49digger:
Fire Morton and Roman. We cant develop receivers and the offense is so inconsistent.

Amen yes yes
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
He's too loyal to his coordinators to get rid of anyone. Jed has to be the one to force his hand.

This. The defensive staff is doing well, the offensive staff looks like s**t, he put together a bunch of guys with records of mediocrity or no records at all, hell Roman was coaching high school football in 2008 and his entire coaching background is a TE/OL coach. They aren't getting the job done other than perhaps Rathman. Even Solari who I had high hopes for can't be said to be doing well considering the OL's nonstop issues with pass blocking. As far as I'm concerned,Roman, Chryst, Morton, Curry, Drevno, Davis all can GTFO as soon as possible.

agree 1000%
Jerry Jones would have fired Roman last week.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:

LOL True
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
We need Eddie D back "He's gone"
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Just posted my long a** reasoning to this in another thread that will of course get the "Too long didn't read" treatment. So here it is for all of your enjoyment.

The 49ers are falling victim to groupthink, which is a psychological phenomenon that occurs within a group of people, in which the desire for harmony or conformity in the group results in an incorrect or deviant decision-making outcome.

Basically, they've been together for so long that behavior that would normally be reprimanded, punished or changed goes unchallenged because it has become the norm in our locker room.

I just thought this is the best way explain our consistent problems that plague us week in and week out. Harbaugh hired Roman prior to the 2009 at Stanford and Fangio prior to the 2010 season -- it is natural and frankly it is expected that they fall into a pattern or synchronized way of operating the team.

Fangio is granted a greater amount of autonomy because Harbaugh is an offensive minded coach but it will eventually become an issue on the defensive side of the ball as well if it becomes as systemic of a problem when it comes to the ultimate goal of winning a SB. Right now and for the past 2+ years the defense has been the primary reason why we've had the success that we've had.

Jim Harbaugh and Roman are approaching the same amount of time that John Harbaugh and Cam Cameron were working together before Harbaugh decided, midseason no less, that the level of sustained above average success without true results(4 seasons with at least 1 playoff win but no SB) was not worth the continuity of keeping Cameron as OC. After 4.5 years or the 2008 season to the middle of 2012 Cameron was fired and entire offensive philosophy was retooled, which is PART not ALL but part of the reason for their resurgence last year.

Jim and Roman are at that same crossroads and Jim needs to have the guts to realize that winning is more important than familiarity. Last season we had the midseason injury to Alex Smith the the X-factor that was Colin Kaepernick propel us to the brink of an SB victory. His talent and dynamic skill set allowed for us to catch the rest of the NFL off-guard but now after a full offseason we've all seen that for 1 reason or an other the team has revert to the same type of small ball that was so successful in 2011 and 2012. While that is not inherently an issue we've seen that in the past 2 weeks we can not beat playoff (Carolina) or SB (New Orleans) caliber teams with this small ball full of clear out routes and short gainers.

The real issue is something we've all noticed but because of the sudden success that ranged from a 9 game win streak in 2011 and a push to SB in 2012 we were willing to excuse but always pointed out after wins and especially after loses. Those are

a. lack of creativity
b. inability to get play in on time due to complicated terminology and the convoluted process of Roman sending to Harbaugh to veto or okay before sending it in
c. inexplicably deviating from a game plan that is working
d. inexplicably sticking to a game plan that is NOT working
e. Inability to maximize the talent and skill of many players on the roster

Much like the 1-2 start was made out to be the "first real crisis of the Harbaugh era" it can and should be said the entire 2013 is crucible and that the 49ers must make a choice and see where it takes them. Just as sticking with the "hot hand" in Kaepernick helped send us to the SB, this year it may be Jim taking a page from his brother and sending Roman packing and living with the consequences.

Before those who absolutely oppose Chryst or those who support the idea of Rathman being the OC chime in consider that it may be wise to seek out an outside candidate should this decision be made.

What is everybody's thoughts on the issue? Agree, disagree? What would you do to address the problems?
Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/175761-49ers-victims-groupthink-what-should-happen-fix/#OgsLxv0GBJl5gQSD.99
[ Edited by sfout on Nov 17, 2013 at 8:33 PM ]
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Jim needs to do like his brother and cut ties with his OC no matter how hard it is on him. John did and it helped their O, wonder if the same would happen for us.

Except it took his brother a long time to dump Cameron. Ravens fans were complaining long before older Harbaugh ever cut him. People wanted to give him credit for doing it, I was amazed that it took him so damn long to realize what the problem was. I still think that he only did it to deflect attention from the terrible season that Baltimore was having at the time.....the move worked out better than anyone could have anticipated but it should never have taken so long to happen.
Originally posted by sfout:
Just posted my long a** reasoning to this in another thread that will of course get the "Too long didn't read" treatment. So here it is for all of your enjoyment.

The 49ers are falling victim to groupthink, which is a psychological phenomenon that occurs within a group of people, in which the desire for harmony or conformity in the group results in an incorrect or deviant decision-making outcome.

Basically, they've been together for so long that behavior that would normally be reprimanded, punished or changed goes unchallenged because it has become the norm in our locker room.

I just thought this is the best way explain our consistent problems that plague us week in and week out. Harbaugh hired Roman prior to the 2009 at Stanford and Fangio prior to the 2010 season -- it is natural and frankly it is expected that they fall into a pattern or synchronized way of operating the team.

Fangio is granted a greater amount of autonomy because Harbaugh is an offensive minded coach but it will eventually become an issue on the defensive side of the ball as well if it becomes as systemic of a problem when it comes to the ultimate goal of winning a SB. Right now and for the past 2+ years the defense has been the primary reason why we've had the success that we've had.

Jim Harbaugh and Roman are approaching the same amount of time that John Harbaugh and Cam Cameron were working together before Harbaugh decided, midseason no less, that the level of sustained above average success without true results(4 seasons with at least 1 playoff win but no SB) was not worth the continuity of keeping Cameron as OC. After 4.5 years or the 2008 season to the middle of 2012 Cameron was fired and entire offensive philosophy was retooled, which is PART not ALL but part of the reason for their resurgence last year.

Jim and Roman are at that same crossroads and Jim needs to have the guts to realize that winning is more important than familiarity. Last season we had the midseason injury to Alex Smith the the X-factor that was Colin Kaepernick propel us to the brink of an SB victory. His talent and dynamic skill set allowed for us to catch the rest of the NFL off-guard but now after a full offseason we've all seen that for 1 reason or an other the team has revert to the same type of small ball that was so successful in 2011 and 2012. While that is not inherently an issue we've seen that in the past 2 weeks we can not beat playoff (Carolina) or SB (New Orleans) caliber teams with this small ball full of clear out routes and short gainers.

The real issue is something we've all noticed but because of the sudden success that ranged from a 9 game win streak in 2011 and a push to SB in 2012 we were willing to excuse but always pointed out after wins and especially after loses. Those are

a. lack of creativity
b. inability to get play in on time due to complicated terminology and the convoluted process of Roman sending to Harbaugh to veto or okay before sending it in
c. inexplicably deviating from a game plan that is working
d. inexplicably sticking to a game plan that is NOT working
e. Inability to maximize the talent and skill of many players on the roster

Much like the 1-2 start was made out to be the "first real crisis of the Harbaugh era" it can and should be said the entire 2013 is crucible and that the 49ers must make a choice and see where it takes them. Just as sticking with the "hot hand" in Kaepernick helped send us to the SB, this year it may be Jim taking a page from his brother and sending Roman packing and living with the consequences.

Before those who absolutely oppose Chryst or those who support the idea of Rathman being the OC chime in consider that it may be wise to seek out an outside candidate should this decision be made.

What is everybody's thoughts on the issue? Agree, disagree? What would you do to address the problems?
Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/175761-49ers-victims-groupthink-what-should-happen-fix/#OgsLxv0GBJl5gQSD.99

the only problem with this is fangio name shouldn't be mentioned

the defense is absolutely without blame today.

completely. you hold brees to 1td and 1int 30 completions for only 300 yards

you did your job.

the saints turned the ball over 3 times...
I hope I am dead wrong on this but I have a bad inkling that Lane Kiffin could be mentioned for a spot on the staff just in case there are changes from within. He could just be a QB coach.

But then I would want to see Jerry Rice be the WR Coach and Steve Young a QB Coach.
Originally posted by robniner:
I hope I am dead wrong on this but I have a bad inkling that Lane Kiffin could be mentioned for a spot on the staff just in case there are changes from within. He could just be a QB coach.

But then I would want to see Jerry Rice be the WR Coach and Steve Young a QB Coach.

no way they bring in kiffin

no way possible.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:

no way they bring in kiffin

no way possible.

Only in Seattle that would happen.

Originally posted by leakyfausett:
He won't even fire that fossil Monte Kiffin.
Fans are hoping for a clean house but unless Jim realize changes are necessary, its not going to happen.
Fans are hoping for a clean house but unless Jim realize changes are necessary, its not going to happen.

This is what worries me the most. We need a major overhaul on the offensive side of the ball. Minor tweeks won't get it done. We need an offensive coordinator that can build an elaborate passing attack and Roman will NEVER be that guy. The trick is to be one step ahead of the NFL defenses and we are not....we are one step behind.

Even with healthy wide receivers, I don't think Roman is the guy to build a balanced offensive scheme.

Might take an intervention from King Jed to give Roman the boot.....Harbaugh is to stubborn to even conceptualize letting Roman go..
we're gonna do just enough like make the playoffs to keep harbs from parting ways with roman. additionally roman will have shown the league enough to not want to offer him a HC position. we're probably stuck with him, jim is loyal.
y'all dont know what's going on between harbaugh and the rest of the coaching staff. this entire thread is conjecture and assumptions. some of you guys are talking like you're flies on the wall
Share 49ersWebzone