There are 254 users in the forums

Truth is.... We're just not good enough...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
Who would have thought the bye week would have done more harm than good? We were on a roll before the bye

we were playing s**tty football teams. it goes no deeper than that competition has been raised. nothing more.
good lord crab, i just do not understand why people can not see what you see. all these excuses and rolling out the shock and awe that we have played so bad as of late,, I am sorry but this year that is what we do

So we were playing s**tty teams during our 5 game winning streak and now all of a sudden those same s**tty teams (rams and cardinals) are going to beat us and cause us to miss the playoffs?

i suspect we'll beat both of them, but here is my issue, what do we learn from doing that? in the playoffs there are no average teams, they've played 16 games to filter those guys out. we'll win enough to get into the dance, but what will we do when we get there?

This team is too talented. All we have to do is get in. Going into this years playoffs the Niners are going to be the team no one wants to face

thats what we as fans would love to believe. i'm still hopeful and havent given up. i dont however like citing the giants or ravens as they both won their division and got the advantage of home playoff games in the wild card round, we will not have that luxury.

I will never give up hope until we are mathematically eliminated. Didn't the Packers and Steelers win Super Bowls as 6th seeds?

yeah they did. sucks to have to rely on 3 road wins in a row, but thats our reality. the down side to blowing 2 season in a row with first round byes. thats football karma.
thats what we as fans would love to believe. i'm still hopeful and havent given up. i dont however like citing the giants or ravens as they both won their division and got the advantage of home playoff games in the wild card round, we will not have that luxury.

Agreed. We all want to believe that but as it sits right now defenses are salivating at the mouth to face this offense. They all look like world beaters afterwards. Getting to jam WR's at will and stuff everyone into the box with absolutely zero chance they'll get beat deep all the while making their pass rush look much better than it really is. Our line is getting smoked with disguised blitzes, our QB is being overwhelmed with disguised coverage and coaching staff has shown no ability to adapt and or make the slightest adjustments. That sounds like a defenses wet dream to me.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
Who would have thought the bye week would have done more harm than good? We were on a roll before the bye

we were playing s**tty football teams. it goes no deeper than that competition has been raised. nothing more.
good lord crab, i just do not understand why people can not see what you see. all these excuses and rolling out the shock and awe that we have played so bad as of late,, I am sorry but this year that is what we do

So we were playing s**tty teams during our 5 game winning streak and now all of a sudden those same s**tty teams (rams and cardinals) are going to beat us and cause us to miss the playoffs?

i suspect we'll beat both of them, but here is my issue, what do we learn from doing that? in the playoffs there are no average teams, they've played 16 games to filter those guys out. we'll win enough to get into the dance, but what will we do when we get there?

This team is too talented. All we have to do is get in. Going into this years playoffs the Niners are going to be the team no one wants to face
all the talent in the world does not mean s**t if the talented guys do not make plays or make mistakes. i could start a list from yesterday alone where this was the case but why do i want to torture myself. talented players means jack s**t if you got a retard as a oc enabled by a head coach who is stubborn and has his own issues with red flags and over all clock management. i am getting about as tired of hearing about how "talented" we are in the same vein as "its all of the injuries or its all the refs fault". we are playing like s**t and making terrible mistakes but yet some people are still so arrogant to think we only have to get into the playofffs and suddenly everyone will be scared of us. what in gods green earth have you seen in the last two games and the games we have lost to make you think teams will be scared to play us. right now it is the opposite, washington is energized by the fact we are struggling and they have a chance to play spoiler. no pressure on them. sorry but the phrase "all we have to do is get in" is simplistic and right now unrealistic
Actually we are good enough. When Crabtree comes back you will,see a completely different passing game. Now they cant double boldin and Davis with Crabtree out there.

Hell, by your logic, then neither are the Seahawks who look like s**t on offense too, and get run over by backup rbs and backup qbs like glennon and Clemens make their secondary not look so good. Might as well throw in the saints aren't good enough too, getting owned by the jets. So actually, we are definitely good enough to compete and win a championship, especially when we actually have a wr core which we will soon. It will come down to the divisional playoff game vs saints or hawks and the championship game as well. Two games will determine who is ready to compete
There is a somewhat of a parallel between this year's 49ers and the 1988 version....at roughly the same point of that season, the Niners dropped 2 straight, the second one being a 9-3 loss to the Raiders where the offense was PATHETIC. Sound familiar? They were 6-5, and then had to go on the road to play the Redskins in a Monday night game. Sound familiar? They then ran off 4 straight wins, finished 10-6 and won the division.

Of course we already know that this year the division is lost...but who knows, maybe 25 years later another MNF game in DC will be the jumpstart to a playoff run. Oh wait, this just in, I am being told that Greg Roman is still the OC. Never mind.
Originally posted by elguapo:
Actually we are good enough. When Crabtree comes back you will,see a completely different passing game. Now they cant double boldin and Davis with Crabtree out there.

Hell, by your logic, then neither are the Seahawks who look like s**t on offense too, and get run over by backup rbs and backup qbs like glennon and Clemens make their secondary not look so good. Might as well throw in the saints aren't good enough too, getting owned by the jets. So actually, we are definitely good enough to compete and win a championship, especially when we actually have a wr core which we will soon. It will come down to the divisional playoff game vs saints or hawks and the championship game as well. Two games will determine who is ready to compete

we have talent. seattle and new orleans have loud stadiums and home playoff games coming. advantage them.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elguapo:

we said it will be better when mario comes back
we said it will be better when aldon comes back
we said it will be better when kyle williams is gone
this team right now, to me, is on the edge of not making the playoffs and then we will be setting at home during the playoffs still saying ,"but we have the most talent of anyone", we keep saying it will get better but it gets worse those are facts based upon the teams play in the last two games and the coaching in the games we lose at the hands of good teams who know if they punch us in the mouth, we crawl into a fetal position.
da faccccck! lock this tread. WE ARE A GOOD TEAM, in any other divsion we might be 1st. Seatle got handed an easy schedule but things will change, we will make the playoff and have to prove ourselves in someone elses home. No one was complaining after those 5 wins. STICK TO YOUR ROOTS AND STAY FAITHFUL..9ers all day
This article says it best or almost best.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/49ers/ci_24544829/thompson-49ers-cant-blame-loss-ahmad-brooks-penalty
Originally posted by LESLEE415:
da faccccck! lock this tread. WE ARE A GOOD TEAM, in any other divsion we might be 1st. Seatle got handed an easy schedule but things will change, we will make the playoff and have to prove ourselves in someone elses home. No one was complaining after those 5 wins. STICK TO YOUR ROOTS AND STAY FAITHFUL..9ers all day

out of 16 games, we play 2 different opponents and thats based off of divisional placement in 2012. these schedules are made up years in advance. stop with the non-sense.

Originally posted by jays9ers:
Hate to say it folks.. We're just not good enough to compete for a championship this year. The offense IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.. Plane and simple. The defense is really good, not great but really good. But the offense just isn't getting it done. We need more play makers on offense and possibly a new offensive scheme. Sooo yea. Until we address our issues, more pass rush, more WR's, better offensive philosophy then we will continue to just be good enough to beat the bad teams and lose to the elite..

I'm convinced of one thing, the scheme has been checkmated. Harbaugh needs to make a big change somewhere, what that is...IDK!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

the last two games have proven to most people we lack the ability to beat good teams. that is not the definition of a good team. no one got handed anything, please
If we get in the playoffs were going to have to beat some kind of combination of New Orleans/Carolina/Seattle on the road. These are the best teams in the NFC. If we can't do that then we were not good enough in the first place. The good news is we've stood toe to toe with all 3 teams even amidst our issues/struggles offensively. We just need to turn the corner and make some type of improvements these last 6 weeks. It's sad that our bye week seemed to go to waste because the offense needs a makeover and it doesnt appear we added any new wrinkles. I hope the coaches are open to trying new things down the stretch. The current scheme just isnt gonna cut it.
the point is to stay faithful, its always the "DIE HARD" fans throwin us under the bus. the last 2 games do not define the season. When we win out everyone will be praising this team, if we won yesterday everyone would be bk on the saddle.. all i know is I will not turn my bk on my team. RELAX!

-faithful

Learn how scheduling works...6 games vs div opponents (inner-div), 4 games vs teams in entire div in same conference (inner-conf), 4 games vs teams in entire div in opposite conference (inter-conf), and then 2 games vs teams from the "other" two divisions in same conference, based SOLEY on prior year's finish, i.e. 1st place vs 1st place, and so on. There is NO RANDOMNESS to it.

Now, teams can get screwed/helped by how the home/away scheduling, start times, short weeks, etc. If anything, Seattle could have a legit gripe being a west coast team with five 10am start times on the road. But WHO they play is effectively set in stone, save for the two inner-conf games that will be decided by team placement in final reg-season standings.
Share 49ersWebzone