LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

Just watched my last NFL game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
if we had one the game you wouldn't be this upset lol

you're just pissed cuz we lost
BS...You know you watching tomorrow's MNF!
I want the refs to answer 1 question. What did they want Brooks to do??

Go back and watch the play again. Brees was moving away from Brooks to the right, and then stopped. Brooks was rushing the passer with a full head of steam like hes supposed to. He hits Brees with his momentum colliding into him, uses his ARMS only, wrapped around Brees' SHOULDER PADS, and the ball pops loose.

He didnt touch his head, or his neck at ALL. He didnt use his helmet either. Brees' head jerked back from the impact of the hit. There was absolutely NOTHING wrong with that tackle. If it had been Josh McCown, there would be no flag. If it had been a guy like Cam Newton, who is HUGE, there would be no flag. its just because Brees is a dainty little superstar player that they threw the flag.

I cant believe how many media analysts are saying "eh, borderline call, the refs have to protect the QB." REALLY??? It was a textbook hard hit on the QB that violated NO rules. Not even the new pansy ones. Lawrence Taylor, Bruce Smith, Reggie White, Mean Joe Greene, etc would go on a major rant about this.

Thats TWICE now the refs have blatantly screwed us in the Superdome. Unreal.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
simple solution: nfl should go to this headgear, and ditch all the nanny rules. then, all will be well.
I can see it now, a top high school athlete is scouted by a major college but is rejected. Problem, he's a big hitter.
  • BenQ
  • Veteran
what in the actual fk, is this real life...?
Originally posted by Niners99:
I want the refs to answer 1 question. What did they want Brooks to do??

Go back and watch the play again. Brees was moving away from Brooks to the right, and then stopped. Brooks was rushing the passer with a full head of steam like hes supposed to. He hits Brees with his momentum colliding into him, uses his ARMS only, wrapped around Brees' SHOULDER PADS, and the ball pops loose.

He didnt touch his head, or his neck at ALL. He didnt use his helmet either. Brees' head jerked back from the impact of the hit. There was absolutely NOTHING wrong with that tackle. If it had been Josh McCown, there would be no flag. If it had been a guy like Cam Newton, who is HUGE, there would be no flag. its just because Brees is a dainty little superstar player that they threw the flag.

I agree with what most are saying on here.

As a Seattle fan, I watched Michael Bennett get blocked to the ground last week, he was about 18" from the QB, so crawled forward grabbed him around the lower legs and sacked the QB. 15 yard penalty, automatic 1st down, and he was fined $15,000.

I've also seen a number of plays go in Seattles favor this year that piss me off (well sort of piss me off). I can't remember which games, but I do recall 2 separate instances where a defender had his arms up, RW throws the ball, and they had a hand literally glance off RW's helmet. 15 yards, 1st down, and absolute BS.

I understand them trying to protect the QB's, but they're making it impossible for a defense to effect the game with pressure, or hits on a QB.

That being said, I saw this article this morning, and was surprised in super slow-mo, that the hit yesterday on Brees was closer than I initially thought.

http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/week-11-nfl-awards-best-worst-from-sunday-s-action-111713

Don't attack me too vehemently, as I still agree that SF got screwed on this call, all of these type of calls are getting ridiculous, and this in no way should have been a penalty. I don't know if it helps or hurts more, but I just thought I'd show this article with the .gif that showed the penalty was maybe at least somewhat close rather than being a completely obvious BS call.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
"Well Bye"

Thank you, Curly Bill
UM, YES THE UFC HAS CHANGED!!! LOL! IDIOTS LIKE YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THE UFC WAS ABOUT WHEN IT FIRST CAME UP!

It was a no rules, my martial art vs. your martial art free for all where anything goes. Once Royce Gracie and all of his Jujitsu grapplers were wrecking everybodys sh*t, the people who were standup fighters began learning how to grapple and round their game to counter act these jujitsu guys. People started getting brutally injured due to the lawlessness on where people can strike, so they made rules around where the strikezone was so people won't die or get concussions. (Sound familiar?)

I understand where you are coming from, but you would definitely not be doing this if it happened to the Saints instead of us. I honestly don't give a crap though, sayonara!
Not saying that I am totally a full blown conspiracy nut, but I am certainly more and more convinced that the NFL has a pre-determined outcome that they would like to see happen in certain games and that the refs do their best to help ensure that outcome. Is it always successful? No. But does it determine the outcome many times? I believe so.

There are way too many "coincidences" that make for the "best storyline" Like someone else said in this thread or another, the NFL is a business and is in the business of making money and selling a story. As any shrewd businessman would tell you, you don't just leave that to chance.

A few examples before I turn this over to your thoughts:

1. Brothers coaching against each other in the Superbowl (the disputed ATL call affected this)
2. Media jumping all over the SF player about his views on "homosexuality" yet totally ignoring any past or present wrong-doing by any Ravens players in the Superbowl (thus setting up the "good guys" and the "bad guys" for the Superbowl -- thus inferring a pre-determined desired outcome)
3. Everyone knows there is a significant anti-west coast bias, so Goodell can't have the only undefeated Superbowl team be from the West Coast
4. 49ers W/L patterns (2nd season in a row that I was able to find a easily defined pattern. I'm not sure what to make of this, but it seems too odd to say it's just co-incidence)
5. The SEA/GB call last year that gave SEA the game and really launched their confidence.
6. Many other ref calls that I believe absolutely determined the outcome of the game. (Lots of fans and commentators want to say that you need to play so that a bad refs call doesn't affect the outcome, but on the flip side we will all agree that the NFL is the elite level of players. We've all heard the phrase, "They get paid too" and sometimes when you have very evenly matched teams, an entire game is going to come down to one or two plays and the officiating calls associated with those plays.)

My point about pre-determined game outcomes can perhaps best be illustrated by the acknowledged fact that the players on certain teams are consistently held to a different standard than the same players from other teams. (See SEA DBs) This is not limited to one set of officials but seems fairly prevalent among all the officials in the league. When one team is consistently held to a different standard during a game than their opponent, how can that not significantly affect the outcome of the game (and what is the SEA record again?).

I grew up watching football in the 80's, 90's and 00's. I have seen the best there is and the worst there is from my beloved 49ers. I believe the game was once at it's peak (during the 90's). And now in an attempt to squeeze every last drop of blood from the cash turnip that the NFL has become, they have micro-managed and micro-legislated the game to the point where many of us don't even recognize it anymore. Then when this isn't enough to get those last few drops of cash, the NFL attempts to control the story-lines by affecting the outcome of games. This is the death of pure sport.

Your thoughts?

very lame of you to bail in the middle of a season
REALLY Crabman??? I don't know the original poster and I don't know you, but it seems to me like there might be good reasons to stop watching the games (even in the middle of a season). Have you considered that the frustration that this fan feels toward the games, could be spilling over into his family life, his work life and his other interpersonal relationships? Wouldn't you say that the value of having healthy relationships is more important than whatever entertainment value he/she gets from being a fan and watching this professional sport?
[ Edited by SFFanSince72 on Nov 18, 2013 at 10:08 AM ]
I have been watching this game too long to pretend that I haven't seen other teams get screwed over by calls. I can think of a dozen times that I have watched Brooks make a play that didn't get called a penalty when I was very certain it would be. The call hurt our chances to win the game, but the Saints could have been stopped, the offense could have executed. The stripes screwed us because they gave the Saints another chance I don't feel they should have had. That is where my problem with it lies.
Originally posted by SFFanSince72:
REALLY Crabman??? I don't know the original poster and I don't know you, but it seems to me like there might be good reasons to stop watching the games (even in the middle of a season). Have you considered that the frustration that this fan feels toward the games, could be spilling over into his family life, his work life and his other interpersonal relationships? Wouldn't you say that the value of having healthy relationships is more important than whatever entertainment value he/she gets from being a fan and watching this professional sport?

i dont let a loss of a football game spill over into my family life. infact on those bad days like yesterday it makes me appreciate what i have outside of football even more. i'll go as far as to say that those people out there who do let it spill over and affect other areas of their life are total losers who need a little perspective on life.
Share 49ersWebzone