LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 296 users in the forums

Kap or playcalling?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Kap or playcalling?

Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by JoeBart324:
Originally posted by biggiep:
How come all the people that keep excusing Kap don't address the fact that he has two plays to choose from at his disposal on every play and several times has checked into a bad one?

Perhaps because Kaep is routinely choosing between 2 terrible play calls. Run Gore into 8-9 guys or attempt to throw the ball with some terrible route concepts. It also doesn't help that Kaep has to check out of the play with only 3 seconds left on the clock. Keep in mind the Niners seem to line up with 10-12 seconds left on the play clock routinely. After all the standard shifts Kaep has to make the audible with about 4 seconds left. After the audible he has no time to read the defense after they make their adjustments. That is a coaching issue, not a player issue.

This just tells you that he probably doesn't understand defenses to well just yet. Even if he has 2 plays at his disposal, like the mannings/bradies/brees, they have audibles of their own with certain players at the line. Clearly Kaep doesn't have that with Boldin, Manningham, or Davis. Maybe with Crabs. Last year when Kaep escaped the pocket, Crabs always knew where to go to bail Kaep out. Kaep does not have that this year.

I agree with this but the coaching staff isn't doing him any favors with getting the play calls in so slowly. He's fighting the play clock every single down. By the time he's done reading the defense and doing Roman's mad scientist shifts, there is not time left to make adjustments.

One point I would like to make is that escaping the pocket is never part of a designed play unless it is a rollout or designed run. That is simply a scramble drill that Kaepernick and Crabs had some chemistry with.
I think the o line's poor blocking is forcing Kap's bad decision making
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by maximill15:
I think the o line's poor blocking is forcing Kap's bad decision making

Well its certainly not gonna help with Iaputi out for awhile. At least thats what Matt Maiocco said with the type of injury he saw with Iaputi.
I'm sorry, but Kap just doesn't have enough options. Miller has had too many passes this season. We routinely send one WR into a pass pattern and use a big lumbering fullback as an outlet. I don't even see Kap scanning the field anymore. Its like the play is designed for one person and one person only to get the ball. Instead of throwing the ball to shifty backs, we throw to big slow 250lb plus LBs and 300 Lineman. I'm truly perplexed as to what Roman is thinking. We are not even giving him a chance to be successful. Even the TD pass to Boldin was God awful in design. We run a heavy set one WR package and throw it up like its the last play of the game with nothing to lose. Sure Boldin caught it, but what if it was intercepted?
It Is Both Player and play calling. they Draft 2 player that are not playing. They could have draft 2 WR and been better off for this year. If both player turn out to be great to HOF player they made the right move if there just average play there in trouble and made the wrong move.
As much as I've been complaining about Kaepernick's poor pocket presence, decision making, and ability to read defense it's on the coaching staff to design plays and scheme to cover up those weaknesses or just coach him up, period. They did a good enough job with Alex but are failing miserably with Colin. Either way, the team has been carried for too long by the defense now even with long playoff seasons so it's time to shake up the offensive staff like the Ravens did last year.
Kaep is a spread quarterback learning to play from the pocket. He caught the NFL by surprise last year but the league figured him out. Sure there are excuses, Crabtree, Roman, etc. etc. He's got a year to work everything out, I think he will. If not Coach will find someone who can.
Kaepernick 17/31 127 yards 4.1 per play

Pathetic...even Tampa Bay puts up better numbers
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Kaep is a spread quarterback learning to play from the pocket. He caught the NFL by surprise last year but the league figured him out. Sure there are excuses, Crabtree, Roman, etc. etc. He's got a year to work everything out, I think he will. If not Coach will find someone who can.

the league hasn't figured HIM OUT there is nothing to figure out.

they've figured the offense ran by roman out. there's a huge difference

this isn't baseball, you can't say he likes to swing and curves so throw him a fast ball.

the defenses know going into a game what we're going to do and what we want to do offensively and they know we won't budge on them.

they know we won't adjust

therefore there is no adjustment for kap to make. he isn't dialing up the plays he isn't giving 2 bad options per play he isn't the one abandoning the run refusing to run screens and designing passing plays to go to the full back. he isn't the person orchestrating this offense...

Jaguars- Henne 27/42 255yds 6.1 yds per play

Falcons- Ryan 19/36 254yds 7.1 yds per play

Cleveland- Campbell 27/56 248yds 4.4yds per play

SMH

I was very upset about the last drive. Everyone knew the saints where going to bring everyone at Kap, but yet they did not through a screen or a wheel pass to the RB. They did it twice. The way to beat the 49ers is to go all out blitz with the corners going man and let the RB go. So frustrated with the play calling.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
75% Kap & 25% Roman

Kap is a third year quarterback that still cannot read defenses or make timely (and proper) pre-snap adjustments. 99/100 Kap threw a pick-six this game too.

WHERE IS KAP'S IMPROVEMENTS?

Oh. Okay. We need immaculate playcalling and a plethora of weapons for a Kap to be successful, maybe maybe have the defenses forget how to defend the read-option too.
if all these other young qbs on chump teams like Foles and glennon can make the reads and adjustment and timing throws kap has no f**king excuse NONE!!!!!! STOP DEFENDING HIM HE AND ROMAN AND HARBAUGH AND WHOLE OFFENSE NEED TO BE BLAMED!!!! defense can't do it all every week. Wake up Harbaugh and Roman
Originally posted by ninerfreak:

Jaguars- Henne 27/42 255yds 6.1 yds per play

Falcons- Ryan 19/36 254yds 7.1 yds per play

Cleveland- Campbell 27/56 248yds 4.4yds per play

SMH

Somehow we're supposed to think that Kaepernick is a worse QB than Henne or Campbell? I just think that its a further indictment of the 49ers playcalling. There are teams with lesser QB's and less talent on offense doing more with it, meanwhile the 49ers are doing less with the talent than they have than anyone else in the NFL.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

the league hasn't figured HIM OUT there is nothing to figure out.

they've figured the offense ran by roman out. there's a huge difference

this isn't baseball, you can't say he likes to swing and curves so throw him a fast ball.

the defenses know going into a game what we're going to do and what we want to do offensively and they know we won't budge on them.

they know we won't adjust

therefore there is no adjustment for kap to make. he isn't dialing up the plays he isn't giving 2 bad options per play he isn't the one abandoning the run refusing to run screens and designing passing plays to go to the full back. he isn't the person orchestrating this offense...

So damn true.......
Niner fan since 1994, first post.

I think its lot of people's fault - Baalke, Harbaugh, Roman, Kaep, OLine, receivers.

Remember Baalke's arrogance on Jenkins pick? He had written the pick in before the draft, I think. Like Seinfeld used to say - a road less traveled is less traveled for a reason. If nobody else is looking to draft Jenkins, there must be a reason. He missed on CB Peterson who got drafted by Arizona. His free agent pick-ups are questionable too - Snyder, Dahl. He let Marcus Cooper go. Its laughable that he is trying to extend CB Brown. He plays mind games with Seattle, like picking-up TE Harper, then we cut him, so why did you pick him up, if you had no plan for him? So childish. I didn't like him extending Anthony Davis.

Harbaugh himself admitted that he is nowhere near where his older brother is, in terms of knowledge of football. But, he sure is arrogant. He would allow and encourage Kaep to be in Atlanta over the off-season building muscles, but not coaching him in how to play QB.

Roman's background is OTs, running game. What else can you expect? In the 80s, 90s, I used to see a preference for QB coaches to be made OCs. Why wouldn't Harbaugh have picked-up Pep Hamilton?

Kaep sure seems like a one-read QB these days, but what else can you expect, if nobody is coaching him? I read from other posters about Kaep not having enough time to even scan the defense, because of coaches not getting the play in on time, routinely. I agree with that.

So much more to whine about - Kyle Williams, David Akers, Alex Smith. The thing about Alex Smith is: he is a ball control QB, the perfect fit for what Harbaugh and Baalke are trying to run here (primarily a run based offense), that is the personnel that they currently have, but the idiots trade him. I maybe wrong, but I always get the feeling that Baalke and Harbaugh are trying to run the kind of offense that Baltimore and Kansas City are currently running, which is fine, but they can't execute that vision. Luckily they had a QB who has the skills to be a very good passer, (this being a passing league), but wouldn't care to develop him, or bring-in receiving talents to help him do that, or scheme game plans in that direction. I am watching Chiefs-Broncos game right now, not unhappy that they traded Alex, but the Niners brass sure don't know what they are doing.

God's way of detaching me from Niners.
Share 49ersWebzone