LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

Kap or playcalling?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Kap or playcalling?

I want to say it's mostly Kaepernick. Alex Smith had the same offense, albeit with less read option stuff, and I find was a bit more efficient. Obviously he wasn't as explosive, but I feel like he sustained drives a bit better than Kaepernick. But let's not make this an Alex Smith thread.

I feel like Kaepernick is still limited by his mental ability. He can make all the throws, he can extend plays, but he's not quite there yet in reading defenses pre and post-snap. There were so many instances where I was thinking that he could have just dumped it off to a runningback or an underneath option and that would've put us in a shorter down and distance.

But onto Greg Roman... I feel like he's limited the offense for Kaepernick, but he needs to adapt to Kaepernick's flaws. Kaepernick needs to know what his checkdowns are. Kaepernick needs to know what his hot reads are. Because it feels so much that the problem isn't with our wide receivers not getting open, but Kaepernick and the scheme.

If defenses are gonna double Vernon Davis or Anquan Boldin, use them as a decoys and give Manningham, Baldwin, McDonald, and the runninbacks opportunities to win underneath. I think we just don't have the short passing game needed to supplement the play action pass when our running game isn't working.
  • Jiks
Harbaugh is just a by-product of Alex. Maybe he checked down for a reason.
Kap isn't even looking as bad as he should, imo. A dropped int a long with the fumbled pick-six today. Dropped into last week too.
Originally posted by Go49erss:
Alex Smith averaged 200 yards a game in this same offense.

NOT SAME OFFENSE..you sound like an ALEX LOVER
Kaepernick is to blame, and its not even close..

Greg Roman is the same Greg Roman from 2011, and 2012. Anyone want to back me up on this? I know Crabtree is not back yet, and there was something there between the 2 for sure..

I think the Niners are averaging now around 9 points in all losses.. Insert Alex Smith this game and I think he finds Vernon Davis more than a few times, oh and makes that assist alley oop throw to Gore..

Kaep is uncertain with the football after his first read doesn't beat his man from the get go, you have to be able to make something happen.
Originally posted by Go49erss:
Alex Smith averaged 200 yards a game in this same offense.

NOT SAME OFFENSE..you sound like an ALEX LOVER
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by luis1985:
This! I thought Harbaugh was one of the best offensive coaches?! Where is it? He should clearly see that this offense in crap.

Where did he even get that moniker from? People assume that because he was a QB that he's some sort of offensive mastermind, but I'm not seeing it right now, I'm guessing that he's giving Roman the go ahead on this s**tty offense, and he's the one who put together this crap-tastic offensive staff, so I don't know what to think anymore. He seems like an upgraded Singletary at this point, refusing to adjust, not having any imagination in the offense.

49ers could do worse right now than to bring in Mike Martz to handle the passing game and Roman to handle the rushing offense.

You are correct sir ..Singleminded 2.0
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
It goes like this....Without decent starting receivers an offensive coordinator is limited on what plays you can call. The slow receivers we have cannot get open therefore Kapernick can't get them the ball. It goes right down the line so to answer your question it is actually neither. If we had a full functioning offense ie. If our offense still struggles when Crabtree gets back and is healthy then I will agree with you. Until then the issue is our lack of receivers.

Originally posted by 49ersnum1:

Greg Roman is the same Greg Roman from 2011, and 2012. Anyone want to back me up on this? I know Crabtree is not back yet, and there was something there between the 2 for sure..

I think the Niners are averaging now around 9 points in all losses.. Insert Alex Smith this game and I think he finds Vernon Davis more than a few times, oh and makes that assist alley oop throw to Gore..

Kaep is uncertain with the football after his first read doesn't beat his man from the get go, you have to be able to make something happen.

Originally posted by 49ersnum1:

You're right, same s**tty passing offense that goes potato when faced with a high quality defense. What I'm seeing is nothing new, people were able to ignore it previously because the defense was playing at a higher level and the offense beat down a few cupcakes which resulted in people proclaiming Roman a f**king genius. This is the same lousy passing offense and what it looks like when you take away Crabtree and attempt a deep passing offense with no real deep threats to throw to.
Do most people know who Aaron Rodger's OC is? Or Brady..or Manning...or Brees...Or even Cutler...or Stafford...or Wilson.

No one needs to know...the QB gets the job done...for the most part.

I guess onto the next game...life goes on.
I think it all starts with the horrible play calling, but its really starting to effect Kap. He looks completely lost out there.

Even when we started moving the ball, Boldin was the only one getting it. We have WRs running similar routes. Everyone is deep or everyone is short.

Way too many big slow white guys out wide. Its mind boggling really. Are you telling me Kap is suppose to succeed with Miller as his primary target? How many 3rd and longs did we have this game? We waist at least one play in every three.

Also, we take way too much time to get plays off and its not Kap. Its the stupid offense. The offense worked a year ago. It doesn't work anymore.
[ Edited by 49FanMan on Nov 17, 2013 at 5:37 PM ]

Originally posted by 49ersking:
Do most people know who Aaron Rodger's OC is? Or Brady..or Manning...or Brees...Or even Cutler...or Stafford...or Wilson.

No one needs to know...the QB gets the job done...for the most part.

I guess onto the next game...life goes on.

Rodgers-McCarthy offense....the OC in GB is interchangeable, they've been running the same system for almost a decade. Tolzien has stepped in and thrown for 600 yards in 2 games as a starter in that same system. Matt Flynn earned an entire contract off of 2 good games in that same system.

Brees-Payton. Once again, who gives a f**k, they've been running the same system forever and its effective.

Jay Cutler? Not sure if serious.
BOTH. I don't know how much blame should be assigned to either one, but it's clear both are not doing their jobs very well.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
both

No, kap needs weapons
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by jreff22:
both

No, kap needs weapons

If crabtree is the difference between Kaepernick looking like a division 2 QB against Alabama then Crabtree is a better receiver then we give him credit for. Hell he didn't even have Rio after week 12 so he is used to not having 1 of our 2 starting WRs already.

Sorry but it is a mix of both. I've said it before our play calling is atrocious and is clearly handicapping Kaepernick. The real question is this -- is the play calling going this way because of a bad OC or are we legitimately trying to hide Kaepernick's lack of development?
[ Edited by sfout on Nov 17, 2013 at 5:55 PM ]
  • dj43
A college offense just does not work in the pros. Kaepernick is not yet ready for prime time but I doubt Peyton Manning could make this offense work.
Share 49ersWebzone