LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

Kap or playcalling?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Kap or playcalling?

"Perhaps it was premature to name Jim Harbaugh "The Quarterback Whisperer" – the best quarterback mentor in the NFL.

Darrell Bevell is doing a much better job developing Russell Wilson in Seattle, and Mike Shula is doing a much better job developing Cam Newton in Carolina. Jim Harbaugh should be taking notes from those guys.

Kaepernick is in trouble and Harbaugh doesn't seem to have any solutions. He's too busy screaming at the officials.
"

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
"Perhaps it was premature to name Jim Harbaugh "The Quarterback Whisperer" – the best quarterback mentor in the NFL.

Darrell Bevell is doing a much better job developing Russell Wilson in Seattle, and Mike Shula is doing a much better job developing Cam Newton in Carolina. Jim Harbaugh should be taking notes from those guys.

Kaepernick is in trouble and Harbaugh doesn't seem to have any solutions. He's too busy screaming at the officials.
"

the solution is to stop being conservative and stop restricting him. it's really simple. you have a tiger chained up and telling him to just attack if they get close.

UNLEASH

"

like the stock market this stuff is always changing. people can get there digs in now if they like. about half way through last season seahawk fans were pissed right off at bevell and his consevative play calls. eventually they opened up and are better for it. just an example of how it can change.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:

"

the solution is to stop being conservative and stop restricting him. it's really simple. you have a tiger chained up and telling him to just attack if they get close.

UNLEASH

Thats part of the problem at times though, they are taking Kaps arm for granted and basically making him try and hang in the pocket while receivers all run streaks down the field with no check down. Look at the almost-safety, not a single receiver even turned around to try and bail Kap out because Roman called all streaks. He has no situational awareness.. like running an option play in the shadow of your own endzone, smh sadly its nothing new about Roman.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Thats part of the problem at times though, they are taking Kaps arm for granted and basically making him try and hang in the pocket while receivers all run streaks down the field with no check down. Look at the almost-safety, not a single receiver even turned around to try and bail Kap out because Roman called all streaks. He has no situational awareness.. like running an option play in the shadow of your own endzone, smh sadly its nothing new about Roman.

get that through to your peers.

53% of the time he didn't have 2 wr's out there against a team stacking the box.

you can guard boldin and davis
make them guard manningham and baldwin TOO on the same plays... i don't think teams can cover them if they're running different routes instead of standard predictable ones.
Kap is not playing the same or being utilized the same.

• Play calling - I have never been a believer of this being sited as a major problem, I do now by being overprotective of Kap. Running everytime on first down, defenses have picked up. We don't seem to utilize play calling to slow down pash rush in passing situations. Most run screens and draws. I don't understand why we allow teams to "pin-back-their-ears" in all out pass rush. Our OLine isn't good enough to stop this.
  • WR separation - another area where I usually don't buy the rationale. But I have seen too many incomplete passes where the ball hits the receiver in the hands, but the receiver has the Dback in his back pocket who is right there to break up the play. The last incomplete pass to McDonald comes to mind. Last year, Kap was oft asked, why he appears
  • Power run team - this is a myth. Were a power run team against weaker teams only. We cannot impose our will this way and have failed to run well in each loss.
  • Kap's confidence - does appear somewhat shaken. To Kap, QBing involves running, it is the way he is had done since high school. To not run is new to him and being so cautious sliding all the time (he slides in situation that last year he didn't). We are protecting him at all costs, which I think is hurting the team.
[ Edited by OldJoe on Nov 21, 2013 at 12:09 PM ]
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by jonesadrian:

"

UNLEASH

a coordinator should have the right to expect that if he calls an option play near his own goal line, that his players will execute it properly---he should be wary about whether the defense will be able to defend the play
Originally posted by hofer36:
a coordinator should have the right to expect that if he calls an option play near his own goal line, that his players will execute it properly---he should be wary about whether the defense will be able to defend the play

a coordinator should not call an option play near his own goal line.. not a pitch option play to someone who doesn't get used often enough to expect he can be depended on.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Kap is not playing the same or being utilized the same.

• Play calling - I have never been a believer of this being sited as a major problem, I do now by being overprotective of Kap. Running everytime on first down, defenses have picked up. We don't seem to utilize play calling to slow down pash rush in passing situations. Most run screens and draws. I don't understand why we allow teams to "pin-back-their-ears" in all out pass rush. Our OLine isn't good enough to stop this.
  • WR separation - another area where I usually don't buy the rationale. But I have seen too many incomplete passes where the ball hits the receiver in the hands, but the receiver has the Dback in his back pocket who is right there to break up the play. The last incomplete pass to McDonald comes to mind. Last year, Kap was oft asked, why he appears
  • Power run team - this is a myth. Were a power run team against weaker teams only. We cannot impose our will this way and have failed to run well in each loss.
  • Kap's confidence - does appear somewhat shaken. To Kap, QBing involves running, it is the way he is had done since high school. To not run is new to him and being so cautious sliding all the time (he slides in situation that last year he didn't). We are protecting him at all costs, which I think is hurting the team.

that's just a flat out lie.
we didn't stick with the run against the seahawks.
gore was averaging 7.5 yards per carry against the colts and they stopped running though the running is what produced our only points of the game.
gore had 70 yards on 13 carries in the 1st half against the panthers and ended the game with 16 for 80 something but the point remains we stopped running with him
he had 13 carries for 48 yards against the saints. you double that, that's 26 for 96 yards against the saints.

all those runs move us down the field
all those runs get us in field goal range at least
and in the case of these last 2 losses 1 extra field goal seals the game in a victory for us.

so its not a myth we impose our will
the coordinator is an idiot and let's teams off the hook trying to prove a point that doesn't need to be proven.

lined up 2te 1fb 1rb 73% of the time against the saints and gore only got 13 carries.
If we are playcalling ourselves out of playoff contention, all to protect Kap, what does that say about our choice of backup QB and the logic of Harbaugh, Roman et al ;that they are willing to hurt the team and our chances at the post season, just to keep McCoy off the field? That would be pretty stupid, don't you think? While I agree the playcalling has been suspect and even unfathomable at times, Kap must shoulder at least some of the blame for his subpar season. Most of the deficiencies I've noticed have been mental and that scares the hell out of me because you can improve that part of the game with study and experience to a point, but you can't get more intelligent. I pray that's not the problem.

Originally posted by 4evrfan:
If we are playcalling ourselves out of playoff contention, all to protect Kap, what does that say about our choice of backup QB and the logic of Harbaugh, Roman et al ;that they are willing to hurt the team and our chances at the post season, just to keep McCoy off the field? That would be pretty stupid, don't you think? While I agree the playcalling has been suspect and even unfathomable at times, Kap must shoulder at least some of the blame for his subpar season. Most of the deficiencies I've noticed have been mental and that scares the hell out of me because you can improve that part of the game with study and experience to a point, but you can't get more intelligent. I pray that's not the problem.

i enjoy how everyone automatically goes to his mental intelligence.
in essence saying he's gotten dumber.
last year when the offense was regular, he demonstrated leadership, ability to read defenses and ability to go through multiple progressions.

when you line up with 1wr 2te's 73% of the time in a game. when is the opportunity to light it up passing?
and this is the set majority of the games this season.
just for some reason when we play good teams...and are still able to run on them...they decide not to run out of those same sets..
I think much of it IS the pressure. Last year, he was flying loose and easy. The talk on him was that he was unflappable... and I believed that to be true when watching. But this season, he looks tense... uncomfortable... hesitant. In truth, I can not understand why this is... why the dramatic change. I do have confidence in him to get it together and excel at some point... so my only gripe is WHEN? and is this season doomed because of this issue?
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
I think much of it IS the pressure. Last year, he was flying loose and easy. The talk on him was that he was unflappable... and I believed that to be true when watching. But this season, he looks tense... uncomfortable... hesitant. In truth, I can not understand why this is... why the dramatic change. I do have confidence in him to get it together and excel at some point... so my only gripe is WHEN? and is this season doomed because of this issue?

i believe last year they allowed him to play.

this season is more micromanaged too many explicit instructions instead of numerous options and ways to approach.

i think the conversation is, this play is designed to have this look this person is going to be open. and kap is following instructions

as opposed to a fluid offense where the coach says this play has this option that option this option and you can do this if all of that fails.

hesitant to do natural things, he's fighting his natural instincts on things.

when they do have plays with options this year he finds the other options and executes scramble passes HOWEVER those plays are few and far between. which is the problem.
If it is coaching, playcalling and micromanaging, we must have one dumba$$ set of coaches to continue on this tack for virtually the entire season thus far!?
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
If it is coaching, playcalling and micromanaging, we must have one dumba$$ set of coaches to continue on this tack for virtually the entire season thus far!?

still can't get plays called on time after 2 and a half full seasons...

so...

its an indictment on jim because he's sticking with roman.
Share 49ersWebzone