LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 204 users in the forums

Kap or playcalling?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Kap or playcalling?

it seems the coaching staff is consistently late in getting the plays into the huddle, this allows the d-line to jump the snap because the play clock is about expire putting extra pressure on both the o-line and kap. theres no excuse for this to happen week after week. kap is going thru some growing pains but he played well enough to get the W. im not too concerned though, niners got rolled on a bad call, not sure what im watching anymore. this aint the nfl i grew up watching and its disappointing.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Bad OL play combined with bad playcalling will ALWAYS sink a young QB. Period.

People blaming Kap know nothing about football.

This statement has a familiar ring to it
the difference between last year and this year is simple. we have little to no deep threat. Last year, whether anyone is willing to admit it or not, we had Randy Moss. With Moss on the field we at least had the THREAT of a deep ball as no one wanted to get Mossed. As a result defenses had to play honest. Now our fastest wr is our TE. Boldin and crabtree are both possession WR and Manningham is a solid slot guy. We have no ability to stretch the field though so thats why you see 1v1 on our WR and 7-8 guys in the box with blitzes on almost every play that give the impression that our O-line sucks. Until we draft or pull someone off the streets who can burn cheating Defenses our offense will be the same 3-in-the-cloud-of-dust and play action ball that wont win games against tough defenses.
  • dj43
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Originally posted by dj43:
A college offense just does not work in the pros. Kaepernick is not yet ready for prime time but I doubt Peyton Manning could make this offense work.

Yes, he would.

Not if Roman was calling the plays.
This question is too simple. Its offensive personel (more than Kap) and playcalling. Although, Roman is getting too much blame IMO. He has made some questionable decisions but Harbs has a lot of input. And who really knows what Mangini's role is. That was a weird hire.

Roman has had a tough time calling plays because we absolutley cannot execute throwing the ball. What is he supposed to call? Just go back there and chuck it? Hasn't been working...
Both. Greg Roman's not an offensive genius like some said last season. Never was, never will be. He may have a big playbook, but I'll bet money it's drawn up in crayon. The longer Harbaugh keeps this loser on staff the more likely it will start to impact his own credibility and reputation. And Kaepernick has regressed. He's a 25 year old with amazing athletic ability that's just not smart enough or mature enough -- yet -- to play the game at an elite level on a consistent basis. He doesn't have the ability to overcome a poor playbook and lack of preparation. I'd fire Roman and see if Kap improves with a real OC at the helm. If he has trouble, I'd bench his hip hop butt.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
ck was also an idiot for running out of bounds. lot of blame to go around, still goes back to roman and JH
Originally posted by cciowa:
ck was also an idiot for running out of bounds. lot of blame to go around, still goes back to roman and JH

Yes. That pissed me off. The "game manager" label is negative for a QB, but managing a game is a primary responsibility for a QB. Kap struggles in differnet areas of game management. Burning timeouts, not reading defense correctly, going out of bounds on that play, etc.
It's a little of both. Roman's play calling so predictable. Even the broadcasters know what play we are about to run. Just how the Rams figured us out last year. While I won't blame Kaep entirely he is damn lucky that he didn't have a pick 6 or a safety on our last possession. He has to work on his pocket presence. Read a blitz better and hit the hot route or check out the play. That sack he took on first down on our last possesion was a killer.
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
No we have the Personel, What we don't have is the Personel to Call good plays nor do they have the Imagination.

We don't have the WR's period! You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise. Our only deep threat on the entire roster is a TE. Even with Crabtree on the field, we still have nothing more than a stable of possession receivers that cannot get separation from press coverage.

The play calling has been horrid yes but there's more of a reason behind it than just "roman sucks". We have no speed at all at WR, and people may have to face the fact that our QB might just not be good enough. Where is the explosiveness we've seen from Kap? Where is the line's ability to block? I want more out of our play caller as well but you can't expect miracles with what he's working with. Can we expect better than we've seen" Absolutely, but any way you slice it, Kap and his "weapons" just haven't been good enough. Everyone wants an easy explanation and a single problem to point the finger at but there's more than one reason for this offensive incompetence.

Originally posted by 49glory:
the difference between last year and this year is simple. we have little to no deep threat. Last year, whether anyone is willing to admit it or not, we had Randy Moss. With Moss on the field we at least had the THREAT of a deep ball as no one wanted to get Mossed. As a result defenses had to play honest. Now our fastest wr is our TE. Boldin and crabtree are both possession WR and Manningham is a solid slot guy. We have no ability to stretch the field though so thats why you see 1v1 on our WR and 7-8 guys in the box with blitzes on almost every play that give the impression that our O-line sucks. Until we draft or pull someone off the streets who can burn cheating Defenses our offense will be the same 3-in-the-cloud-of-dust and play action ball that wont win games against tough defenses.

If we were running the WCO, like Harbaugh promised, then not having a deep threat would not be such a big deal.
It's a combination of a few things i want to see what people think. Yes the play calling is not NFL playoff team caliber but that's cause we don't have the receivers to run it. Lets take yesterday for example the starting line up from what I remember was Boldin Manningham and Osgood at receiver. All those guys at this stage are not number 1 receiver caliber don't get me wrong i love Boldin and Manningham but there complimentary receivers. Roman is calling plays with no real number 1 receiver on the field. Defenses know it and take out Boldin and Manningham out of the game leaving basically Davis as the only real threat on the field. I agree Roman and Harbaugh are being stubborn but there working with what they got but its no excuse they should be getting more production than what they got so far. Kaepernick does also favor 1 receiver and if hes not open he usually starts to scramble. He lacks what the elite QB's have where they hang in the pocket and see the whole field. Our o line also cant pass block that doesn't help. So it's a combination of all those things lack of playmakers Roman not being creative with play calling Kaep zeroing in on a receiver than taking off. And bad o line pass blocking. Next off season they need another playmaker to go along with Crabtree.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally pHe is just osted by cciowa:

Yes. That pissed me off. The "game manager" label is negative for a QB, but managing a game is a primary responsibility for a QB. Kap struggles in differnet areas of game management. Burning timeouts, not reading defense correctly, going out of bounds on that play, etc.

He is just not very intelligent, no way around it.
Originally posted by Loco49er:
If we were running the WCO, like Harbaugh promised, then not having a deep threat would not be such a big deal.

Its a huge problem, I don't care what kind of offense you're running. We have no deep threat at the WR position and its killing us. There isn't one WR on this team that can beat press coverage either. Boldin can sometimes but he doesn't have the speed to make db's pay for it. They can easily recover. This is running team that makes a living off pounding the ball and hitting play action. Without speed at WR there is no reason to worry about getting beat deep. Safeties are playing the run and letting db's man up one on one across the board and the 49ers cannot do anything about it. One on one coverage across the board would mean so many TD's for other qb's. The play calling has been bad but Kap constantly sees one on one coverage. The WR's constantly see one on one coverage and consistently get beat by it.
[ Edited by NinerG94 on Nov 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM ]
Originally posted by HONEYBADGER:
Originally pHe is just osted by cciowa:

He is just not very intelligent, no way around it.
He isn't its almost like hes in over his head and he is overwhelmed every play takes for ever to get called time outs are being burnt that's a combo of him and the staff. It looks very unprofessional. Look at how Manning quickly gets the play in and is running another before the defense is fully ready. Look at how a second year QB in Wilson is making fast and smart decisions while Kaep everything seems like a struggle. He hit a sophmore jinx big time. This offseason with more work and hopefully better receivers he performs better next season.
Share 49ersWebzone