There are 99 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

im done

I think this sums up what I think the refs are:

For those that don't get it d word heads. Lol Brees looks like a d word or a turtle... your choice.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM ]
The visibility and profile of the NFL is their quarterbacks. They make 10 times more than the average player. The NFL must protect their investment, so the no-fly-zone around a quarterback was instituted. So what if the game suffers. It's at the point where a QB can only be hit below the chest and above the hips. How do you teach a defensive player not to go full tilt? The NFL wants 45-40 games with everybody 8-8 and the playoffs not determined until the last play of the regular season. Watch any incomplete pass the receiver goes into a tirade for a flag. Hitting is being taken out of the game, and in another ten years fans won't know the difference.
I don't have an issue with the call itself, I have an issue with the way the penalty negates the entire play.
We have reached the point where the refs are empowered to make up a new rule on the fly to protect a famous golden boy. The last vestige of FairPlay is now over. It is now such a clear advantage to have a stationary, white, pocket passer with a squeaky clean public image that to do otherwise makes your GM an idiot. The nfl wants a vertical passing game with marketable stars throwing the ball to help them print money and they will have one. The sanctity of the game and the best team winning are ancillary considerations to the marketing machine. We are now fully in the age of Tom Brady...and there is no turning back.
  • dugo
  • Veteran
If you are a 49ers player, coach, executive or fan, anger is a reasonable feeling after their 23-20 loss to the Saints.

San Francisco probably needed to beat New Orleans to remain alive to win the NFC West, and the 49ers played very well. They led 20-17 late in the fourth quarter. And when linebacker Ahmad Brooks sacked Drew Brees, forcing a fumble that Patrick Willisrecovered with 3:12 left, it looked like the game was over.

But it's almost impossible to hit the quarterback anymore without drawing a penalty.

Brooks drilled Brees, who never saw Brooks coming. Brooks' right arm hit Brees in the upper chest, with his upper arm on Brees' neck. It was a sack. Brooks couldn't have really hit Brees anywhere else (remember, Brees is pretty short for a quarterback). It was a great play. But the flag came, because the flag always comes these days.

The Saints got possession back on the roughing the passer call, took the 15 yards and got a game-tying field goal. The New Orleans defense got a stop, and the Saints marched down for the game-winning field goal as time expired.

Although Brooks' hit looked clean, former NFL vice president of officiating Mike Pereira said the call was legit.

Pereira obviously knows the rules and has an uncanny accuracy rate on plays like that, but that didn't seem like a penalty. And if it is a penalty by the letter of the law, it really means that defenders shouldn't try to hit the quarterback anymore. There's no place to hit the quarterback anymore without drawing a penalty.

So feel free to be upset, San Francisco. Actually, if you're an NFL fan outside of New Orleans, you might want to be a little peeved. The 49ers were robbed.

Posted on Yahoo
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
I don't have an issue with the call itself, I have an issue with the way the penalty negates the entire play.

Yeah was thinking maybe it should be enforced after the play so we take over on the 30 instead of 45. Not sure it's right to reward a team for giving up a sack and fumble.

Side note seen that Mike Pereria (sp who gives a s**t) on his twitter said it was the right call and there was a blow to the neck area. He's just a glorified lawyer and seems to weasel his way into making the officials right on every call. Even if they call something where he said the opposite he's like I can see why they called that blah blah.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 17, 2013 at 7:22 PM ]
Originally posted by Chico:
but Troy said it was a good call. when Jim goes back and reviews the film, he will realize it was a good call.

troy is on Bourbon street right now looking for a male prostitute
lmao

I'm convinced - and I'm not being facetious when I say this - that the league really don''t want hits on the QB at all, least of all hard hits. I was a QB in HS, and I must say that is shameful to the most beautiful sport man has ever conceived, and was the most shameful penalty I have ever seen, and it cost us the game.

At some point the players, in particular defensive players, have to stand up and protect their sport from the owners and the league bosses. Unlike pendulum swings, this is a full blown corrosion of the sport, and it isn't swinging back. Therefore, I think defensive players should just take a knee every play or otherwise refuse to play, and I really mean that. That way they'll give the league everything they want (or say they want) - safety, more offense, and protection of the QB. As long as the owners and league bosses go unchallenged in this respect this game will continue to be destroyed. This has gone beyond ridiculous to just downright anti-defense.
Originally posted by Albinorhino49:
Take their knees out. If your going to get called, make it worth it. Back alley football.

I honestly thought about that today...If guys are getting flagged for clean sh*t like Brooks, what's to stop them from just hitting these guys dirty? If you're gonna get a 15 yard penalty anyway, might as well get your money worth. Brooks comes around the edge with a clean, free shot at Brees -- he could have speared him and ended his day.

If the calls keep going down this path, I don't know...maybe that starts happening.
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OldGold:
I AM DONE.

I have hit a turning point.

I just sent the NFL a long letter (not that they care) explaining my exodus. I'm a 47 year old man. My dad had season tix at Kesar. I'm through.

If THAT hit on Brees was a penalty, then you LITERALLY can't hit the QB anymore.

I don't know what this is, but it isn't football.

My grandfather was an All American a Stanford in 1930. My family grew up with football. Football is now dead.

They can't continue to put in place rules that they don't have competent enough officials to enforce. It seems like every game I watch has something like this happen. Maybe not as consequential to the outcome, but something. I'm just about over it myself. They also screwed up two pass interference calls in this game. The one on Baldwin would have been huge for the niners. Regardless, I end up feeling the same way while watching other teams as well. Maybe not quite as upset, but disgusted.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Welcome to the CFL (Cuddle & Fondle league)!

RULES: tap on butt = tackle; tap on cup = sack -- you must notify QB when you're going for his cup either by whispering in his ear (nicely) or flickering your tongue right in front of his face... NOTE: the QB has agree to being sacked or it will not be a sack!!

From now on, you cannot say "what's up" to a refairy... you are allowed to say "hello good sir, how may I kiss your azz so you won't flag me more than twice today?"

Tongue to tongue action, spooning and fondling is prohibited until halftime!!!!

Signed by Roger BadHell and the refairies
Originally posted by dugo:
If you are a 49ers player, coach, executive or fan, anger is a reasonable feeling after their 23-20 loss to the Saints.

San Francisco probably needed to beat New Orleans to remain alive to win the NFC West, and the 49ers played very well. They led 20-17 late in the fourth quarter. And when linebacker Ahmad Brooks sacked Drew Brees, forcing a fumble that Patrick Willisrecovered with 3:12 left, it looked like the game was over.

But it's almost impossible to hit the quarterback anymore without drawing a penalty.

Brooks drilled Brees, who never saw Brooks coming. Brooks' right arm hit Brees in the upper chest, with his upper arm on Brees' neck. It was a sack. Brooks couldn't have really hit Brees anywhere else (remember, Brees is pretty short for a quarterback). It was a great play. But the flag came, because the flag always comes these days.

The Saints got possession back on the roughing the passer call, took the 15 yards and got a game-tying field goal. The New Orleans defense got a stop, and the Saints marched down for the game-winning field goal as time expired.

Although Brooks' hit looked clean, former NFL vice president of officiating Mike Pereira said the call was legit.

Pereira obviously knows the rules and has an uncanny accuracy rate on plays like that, but that didn't seem like a penalty. And if it is a penalty by the letter of the law, it really means that defenders shouldn't try to hit the quarterback anymore. There's no place to hit the quarterback anymore without drawing a penalty.

So feel free to be upset, San Francisco. Actually, if you're an NFL fan outside of New Orleans, you might want to be a little peeved. The 49ers were robbed.

Posted on Yahoo

Screw Pereria. I hate him so much. He acts like the refs never blow a call.
The contact point wasn't close then Brooks' arm slid up and over Bree's mask. It was a "didn't have to be" call.

If that call DOESN'T get made NOBODY would be talking about the Saints getting jobbed, as opposed to being the semi-national story that it is now.

On to Washington.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home