There are 112 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Defensive Coordinators Must Laugh At Us

I agree 100% with this post.

Watching NFL network the other day they diagrammed a very simple Philly pass play that works over and over because it is a staple pass play in NFL offenses for new quarterbacks, yet it produces big yardage.

(I will try to put it into words)

A. 2 receivers on 1 side - both drive downfield hard off the ball - the inside receiver breaks in on a post at 10 yards and the outside guy at 15 yards - looks like a double post. (SHARP cuts in though, no 49ers rounded lazy routes).
B. The READ - IF the safety comes down on the inside guy, QB throws over top to the outside receiver cutting behind the safety. IF the safety falls back to help cover the deeper post, WAIT FOR IT - the underneath receiver veers back outside (a Z route) in the zone vacate by the corner and the safety, QB throws to inside receiver breaking back out (again, a hard cut, no arching route).

Again and again the inside or outside guy were breaking wide open for deep gains.

I'VE NEVER SEEN THE 49ERS RUN A PLAY LIKE THIS UNDER ROMAN. Hard breaks, easy 2 man read.

It was demoralizing that a 1st year coaching staff with a 1st year QB could run such better designed plays.

Bummer.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
What if this has been Roman and Harbaugh's super secret plan all along? What if they have purposely only called rudimentary passing plays so that teams have no film on our real passing game? And they are planning to pull out the greatest passing offense ever seen just in time for the playoff run? Teams will not know what hit them. They will have no way to prepare for this super secret powerful juggernaut passing offense were hiding up our sleeve. f**king brilliant. They don't call Greg Roman the Fat mad scientist for nothing..

We good guys, we good.

Lol. You think the super secret plan was/is to be 4 games behind SEA and tied with ARI?!
I like your grammar.
[ Edited by YungBird on Nov 17, 2013 at 8:33 AM ]
Originally posted by 4t9ers:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
What if this has been Roman and Harbaugh's super secret plan all along? What if they have purposely only called rudimentary passing plays so that teams have no film on our real passing game? And they are planning to pull out the greatest passing offense ever seen just in time for the playoff run? Teams will not know what hit them. They will have no way to prepare for this super secret powerful juggernaut passing offense were hiding up our sleeve. f**king brilliant. They don't call Greg Roman the Fat mad scientist for nothing..

We good guys, we good.

Lol. You think the super secret plan was/is to be 4 games behind SEA and tied with ARI?!

This has been a BOGUS theme in the Harbaugh era - Roman and Harbaugh are hiding something for later. How many seasons do we have to go before people realize Later never comes. I think they must be hiding their genius offense for after they get fired and will reveal it with the next team - that must be their plan - LOL
i like how you guys jump off the wagon whenever something bad happens to us. let's wait until we get our receiving core back before we make any harse judgements about our team.
I think the reality here is that, JH is is going to live or die by Kap.

For what ever reason, he wants Kap and only Kap to be the star of the game.

Take Gore for example, he can rush only enough to not take the spot light. It's why we abandon the run in losing games for reason, even tho it's working.
It's why we threw it 4 straight times in the Super Bowl on 1st and goal at the 5. JH needed Kap to be hero, not gore(because we all know that Bal could've put their entire 53 man roster in the box against Gore and he would've found a way in). Gore and the run game aren't there to win the game. They're there to do enough to hopefully open the def for Kap and the passing game.

It's why we continue to have 7 drop passes- he wants Kap to win it all on one play.

Every thing we seem to do revolves around making Kap the star. Were not a team, we a supporting cast for Kap.

I'm gonna get flamed for this, but it's really how I feel.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,156
Originally posted by iluvdemniners:
i like how you guys jump off the wagon whenever something bad happens to us. let's wait until we get our receiving core back before we make any harse judgements about our team.

correction..... its been happening this year. it gets masked up and ignored when we beat a team with a losing record. stop with the excuses about our hurt people. no one rolled out the injuries when we beat five teams with bad records and we were just as beat up, more so, than we are now. excuses are for losers and coaches who play not to win the game.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,156
Originally posted by 4t9ers:
I think the reality here is that, JH is is going to live or die by Kap.

For what ever reason, he wants Kap and only Kap to be the star of the game.

Take Gore for example, he can rush only enough to not take the spot light. It's why we abandon the run in losing games for reason, even tho it's working.
It's why we threw it 4 straight times in the Super Bowl on 1st and goal at the 5. JH needed Kap to be hero, not gore(because we all know that Bal could've put their entire 53 man roster in the box against Gore and he would've found a way in). Gore and the run game aren't there to win the game. They're there to do enough to hopefully open the def for Kap and the passing game.

It's why we continue to have 7 drop passes- he wants Kap to win it all on one play.

Every thing we seem to do revolves around making Kap the star. Were not a team, we a supporting cast for Kap.

I'm gonna get flamed for this, but it's really how I feel.
i think he will live and die by roman more than ck in my opinion. and if this keeps up with our impotency vs good teams, getting out coached, out punched with the coaches not having a clue what do to,, and telling the team they are not good enough to get a yard on fourth and goal from the one,,,,,, it may be their seal of doom
It ain't the size bro it's motion in the ocean.
My dream and i mean dream cause Greg Roman would never make this happen is when CK steps back to throw he has Gore and Miller underneath to throw to as a security blanket. Davis and Mcdonald 10 yards up to the field to throw to. (Mcdonald we don't even use) Boldin Baldwin Manningham 20 yards up the field (we only use Boldin at WR no one else) that would make defenders cover the whole field. But what we do is send Davis and Boldin down the field there both covered so if were lucky we get a dump off to Miller or CK starts to scramble like a deer in the headlights and gets sacked. That's been the story of the season predictable one dimensional routes no creativity. We only use 2 or 3 players instead of getting every one involved. This post is right DC must laugh at us.
[ Edited by Raul98 on Nov 17, 2013 at 9:10 AM ]
The word that keeps shouting in my mind is "STUBBORN"

Nolan and Sing were so stubborn in their approaches that even children knew what play was coming.

JH is an excellent coach and I hope he loses the Stubbornness or he'll be just another ex49ers coach.

Adapt or Die.

What really bothers me is a wealth of offensive knowledge available in the "vault" and having a resource like Jerry Rice to work w/the second rate performance of our WR.
I agree with every word of this. Harbaugh and that OC had a more explosive offense at Stanford! This travesty they throw out on the field now is a joke. I get sick when our offense gets put in a third down situation. Especially when they need more than 5 yards.

Roman is a dumbazz. He has to prove how smart he is but all he does is make himself looks stupid. He literally outsmarts himself. His "Well that one worked so lets see if I can force this one to work" play calling is crap. The guys must have made posters out of his press clippings when the media was blowing smoke up his azz because he started to believe he was a genius.
Originally posted by Raul98:
My dream and i mean dream cause Greg Roman would never make this happen is when CK steps back to throw he has Gore and Miller underneath to throw to as a security blanket. Davis and Mcdonald 10 yards up to the field to throw to. (Mcdonald we don't even use) Boldin Baldwin Manningham 20 yards up the field (we only use Boldin at WR no one else) that would make defenders cover the whole field. But what we do is send Davis and Boldin down the field there both covered so if were lucky we get a dump off to Miller or CK starts to scramble like a deer in the headlights and gets sacked. That's been the story of the season predictable one dimensional routes no creativity. We only use 2 or 3 players instead of getting every one involved. This post is right DC must laugh at us.
Thanks for the reply. It does a great job of explaining the way the Walsh system worked, making the defense cover the whole frigging field, most importantly taking the pressure off the OL and the QB. Like I said at the start of the thread and frankly scares me more than anything is that CK's short passing game might be sketchy. If that is the case, we are in deep doo-doo. That is the only defense I can use for Roman.
[ Edited by SDDAVE on Nov 17, 2013 at 9:28 AM ]
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 4t9ers:
I think the reality here is that, JH is is going to live or die by Kap.

For what ever reason, he wants Kap and only Kap to be the star of the game.

Take Gore for example, he can rush only enough to not take the spot light. It's why we abandon the run in losing games for reason, even tho it's working.
It's why we threw it 4 straight times in the Super Bowl on 1st and goal at the 5. JH needed Kap to be hero, not gore(because we all know that Bal could've put their entire 53 man roster in the box against Gore and he would've found a way in). Gore and the run game aren't there to win the game. They're there to do enough to hopefully open the def for Kap and the passing game.

It's why we continue to have 7 drop passes- he wants Kap to win it all on one play.

Every thing we seem to do revolves around making Kap the star. Were not a team, we a supporting cast for Kap.

I'm gonna get flamed for this, but it's really how I feel.
i think he will live and die by roman more than ck in my opinion. and if this keeps up with our impotency vs good teams, getting out coached, out punched with the coaches not having a clue what do to,, and telling the team they are not good enough to get a yard on fourth and goal from the one,,,,,, it may be their seal of doom

I don't know. I think JH is more of the culprit here than roman. I mean, should roman get more creative? Absolutely.

But I've got to imagine that JH is, at the very least, telling the booth when to run and when to pass. Whether to fake a field goal, or like you said, go for it on fourth and 1. Those aren't the other coaches making those calls.

However, if that's not the case, and all JH does is throw the occasional red flag, then we're in deeper than I ever imagined.

Either way, this is all JH, not Roman.
Originally posted by SDDAVE:
Originally posted by Raul98:
My dream and i mean dream cause Greg Roman would never make this happen is when CK steps back to throw he has Gore and Miller underneath to throw to as a security blanket. Davis and Mcdonald 10 yards up to the field to throw to. (Mcdonald we don't even use) Boldin Baldwin Manningham 20 yards up the field (we only use Boldin at WR no one else) that would make defenders cover the whole field. But what we do is send Davis and Boldin down the field there both covered so if were lucky we get a dump off to Miller or CK starts to scramble like a deer in the headlights and gets sacked. That's been the story of the season predictable one dimensional routes no creativity. We only use 2 or 3 players instead of getting every one involved. This post is right DC must laugh at us.
Thanks for the reply. It does a great job of explaining the way the Walsh system worked, making the defense cover the whole frigging field, most importantly taking the pressure off the OL and the QB. Like I said at the start of the thread and frankly scares me more than anything is that CK's short passing game might be sketchy. If that is the case, we are in deep doo-doo. That is the only defense I can use for Roman.
Your absolutely right the whole field should have to be covered short passes intermediate passes and deep passes but so far this year it's all these 7 step dtop passes that take for ever to develop then when no ones open the whole play implodes. I haven't seen the play calling this bad since Raye was the OC it's sad i expected more from Harbaugh and Roman we have a lot of talent on this team and it's going to waste.