There are 163 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Defensive Coordinators Must Laugh At Us

I would bet that most DC's spend about a day on planning how to defend us if they are honest and see what we see. They see a team that does
not stretch the field vertically or horizontally. With no WR speed to account for excepting Vernon who can be doubled, the length of the field is greatly shortened. With no safety valve or outlet passes for the QB to go to, no screens, flare passes, slants, and speedy, elusive running backs being called to run up the gut most of the time, the defense does not have to cover the field horizontally. The outside LB's have nothing to do. Talk about creating a small box for the defense to have to cover! As a consequence, the OL is assaulted by seven or eight pass rushers, creating incredible mismatches and quick, severe pressure on CK. With his outside running lanes contained, he has nowhere to go with the ball and looks horrible. We are not even close to looking like a WCO. It's serial fraud to state that we are. It's as believable as Obama telling us we can keep our policies if we like them. LOL

Bill Walsh's whole plan was to make the defense cover the entire field and I mean all of it. Let's take 1989 as an example when the Niners went to the Super Bowl. Yes we had Jerry Rice and John Taylor at WR and use them to illustrate I am not taking the easy way out. And we had a superb TE in Brent Jones. But what made the offense was the way we got the ball to the RB's to make plays and force the defense to cover the entire field. With Tom Rathman and Roger Craig together in the same backfield, they accounted for 122 pass receptions for 1,089 yards and 1,359 yards rushing. So the defense literally had to cover the whole field. Often times the LB's were confused in coverage creating big plays. The pressure put on the defense probably made the OL look better than they were, since a majority of the defenders were assigned coverage responsibilities. The scheme was magnificent.

Which brings me to the negative news that today we have 4 potential receivers in our offense who are being completely wasted. Their names are Gore, Hunter, James and Dixon, guys who know how to really run in space. Between them they have 13 catches for 133 yards which extrapolates to a season totals of 24 catches for 240 yards. Compare to Craig and Rathman above. And that is how you move the chains. So there are only two reasons why this is happening - Roman is really out of his element as an OC, or more frightening is the hearsay that CK is not really comfortable throwing the short passes required in the WCO. If this is the case we are in deep doo-doo, with no hope in sight. The Chiefs to not look like the toast of the NFL offensively, but they are running the WCO the way it is supposed to be run - moving the chains, eating up clock, resting the defense.

.As a PS to todays game, the NO RB's Sproles, Pierre and Ingraham have caught 92 passes for 773 yards. Could that be the reason they have 51 more first downs than the Niners?
[ Edited by SDDAVE on Nov 17, 2013 at 10:11 AM ]
I strongly agree with getting the RBs more involved in the pass game. For some crazy reason, it's not a part of the offense at all. Even when Captain Checkdown himself was QB, the RBs were not involved in the passing game.

Right now we're a very stubborn power run / play action team. Sometimes we abandon the run entirely and try to run play-action anyways LOL. It's ridiculous. Just one 7-step drop after the other. Maybe we throw in a single bootleg or quick outlet pass to the RB in the 1st quarter, then never again. Jeez Roman, why call a high % play that nets you easy, positive yardage? It's stupefying.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Nov 16, 2013 at 3:41 PM ]
There isn't an offense on the NFL that makes life easier on defensive coordinators than the 49ers do. Stopping the run comes down to the execution of the players on the field, some teams have the personnel to do so, others don't, even when stacking the box with 8 guys. But in terms of the passing game, there isn't a more predictable offense, one that minimizes the amount of ground that a defense has to cover and makes it possible for defenses to dial up a variety of exotic blitzes without worry of the offense making them pay for it.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
There isn't an offense on the NFL that makes life easier on defensive coordinators than the 49ers do. Stopping the run comes down to the execution of the players on the field, some teams have the personnel to do so, others don't, even when stacking the box with 8 guys. But in terms of the passing game, there isn't a more predictable offense, one that minimizes the amount of ground that a defense has to cover and makes it possible for defenses to dial up a variety of exotic blitzes without worry of the offense making them pay for it.

Has there ever been a more talented offense that has done less than this one in the passing game?
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Nov 16, 2013 at 5:23 PM ]
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
There isn't an offense on the NFL that makes life easier on defensive coordinators than the 49ers do. Stopping the run comes down to the execution of the players on the field, some teams have the personnel to do so, others don't, even when stacking the box with 8 guys. But in terms of the passing game, there isn't a more predictable offense, one that minimizes the amount of ground that a defense has to cover and makes it possible for defenses to dial up a variety of exotic blitzes without worry of the offense making them pay for it.

Has there ever been a more talented offense that has done less than this one in the passing game?

Very hard to do when the coaches and injuries are holding back the talent so much we are regressing at an alarming rate.
I admit that the passing game has had some significant struggles when Vernon Davis has not played. Let's keep some perspective, however:

- We are tied for 10th in points scored per game with the Colts and the Eagles.

- We are 22nd in yards per game, right below Carolina and Dallas.

We are not 32nd in all categories. Our offense is not laughable. Also, the comparison to Kansas City is a little strange. How is Kansas City doing things right (and we are doing things wrong) when we have more yards per game and points per game than Kansas City?
[ Edited by Wisconsin49erfan on Nov 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM ]
Originally posted by Wisconsin49erfan:
I admit that the passing game has had some significant struggles when Vernon Davis has not played. Let's keep some perspective, however:

- We are tied for 10th in points scored per game with the Colts and the Eagles.

- We are 22nd in yards per game, right below Carolina and Dallas.

We are not 32nd in all categories. Our offense is not laughable.

When we're not playing above average to elite defenses, maybe.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
When we're not playing above average to elite defenses, maybe.

Well, lets flip this around. Carolina's offense looked laughable against our defense. Play the game 10 times, and I still think we win more than we lose.
Originally posted by Wisconsin49erfan:
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
When we're not playing above average to elite defenses, maybe.

Well, lets flip this around. Carolina's offense looked laughable against our defense. Play the game 10 times, and I still think we win more than we lose.

Who cares about Carolina's offense or other rematches? Point is, even by the small margin, they did enough to walk out with a W on our homefield. Our defense is a elite but our the offense did what they always have been doing against good defenses, crawling up in fetal position and not getting a damn thing done. We had two weeks to rest, prepare, and game plan and we still looked lethagic and pathetic. At home! Inexcusable. We definitely have a problem.
Originally posted by SDDAVE:
I would bet that most DC's spend about a day on planning how to defend us if they are honest and see what we see. They see a team that does
not stretch the field vertically or horizontally. With no WR speed to account for excepting Vernon who can be doubled, the length of the field is greatly shortened. With no safety valve or outlet passes for the QB to go to, no screens, flare passes, slants, and speedy, elusive running backs being called to run up the gut most of the time, the defense does not have to cover the field horizontally. The outside LB's have nothing to do. Talk about creating a small box for the defense to have to cover! As a consequence, the OL is assaulted by seven or eight pass rushers, creating incredible mismatches and quick, severe pressure on CK. With his outside running lanes contained, he has nowhere to go with the ball and looks horrible. We are not even close to looking like a WCO. It's serial fraud to state that we are. It's as believable as Obama telling us we can keep our policies if we like them. LOL

Bill Walsh's whole plan was to make the defense cover the entire field and I mean all of it. Let's take 1989 as an example when the Niners went to the Super Bowl. Yes we had Jerry Rice and John Taylor at WR and use them to illustrate I am not taking the easy way out. And we had a superb TE in Brent Jones. But what made the offense was the way we got the ball to the RB's to make plays and force the defense to cover the entire field. With Tom Rathman and Roger Craig together in the same backfield, they accounted for 122 pass receptions for 1,089 yards and 1,359 yards rushing. So the defense literally had to cover the whole field. Often times the LB's were confused in coverage creating big plays. The pressure put on the defense probably made the OL look better than they were, since a majority of the defenders were assigned coverage responsibilities. The scheme was magnificent.

Which brings me to the negative news that today we have 4 potential receivers in our offense who are being completely wasted. Their names are Gore, Hunter, James and Dixon, guys who know how to really run in space. Between them they have 13 catches for 133 yards which extrapolates to a season totals of 24 catches for 240 yards. Compare to Craig and Rathman above. And that is how you move the chains. So there are only two reasons why this is happening - Roman is really out of his element as an OC, or more frightening is the hearsay that CK is not really comfortable throwing the short passes required in the WCO. If this is the case we are in deep doo-doo, with no hope in sight. The Chiefs to not look like the toast of the NFL offensively, but they are running the WCO the way it is supposed to be run - moving the chains, eating up clock, resting the defense.

.
Yes I very much agree,Romlan(Roman+ Nolan) have no clue and Harbaugh seems to thank that he is still in Chicago with the Late Walter Payton,I sure Hope this is Not Singletary 2.0 again? and the WR coach needs to go along with Romlan,this wholeOffense short-comings points Directly to the Coaches.How in the hell do you not GET production from your WRs and you are the WR coach? look at Brady and how he is getting way better production from ROOKIES,this stinks bad on the coaches ,hey JED its time to Intervene ,I know your dear Uncle Eddie would have by now, What as fans can we do to get somebodys attention...this has GOT to STOP,TODAY.
[ Edited by jrouter4949 on Nov 16, 2013 at 9:30 PM ]
What if this has been Roman and Harbaugh's super secret plan all along? What if they have purposely only called rudimentary passing plays so that teams have no film on our real passing game? And they are planning to pull out the greatest passing offense ever seen just in time for the playoff run? Teams will not know what hit them. They will have no way to prepare for this super secret powerful juggernaut passing offense were hiding up our sleeve. f**king brilliant. They don't call Greg Roman the Fat mad scientist for nothing..

We good guys, we good.
Carolina's defense knew our plays. I saw them yelling out the calls as soon as we lined up, and then they promptly stuffed the play. What we lack in the most simplest of terms is this:

- DIVERSITY. Our playbook has already reportedly been downsized. The variety in our playcalling is atrocious. How long are we going to have to complain that we haven't seen an assortment of certain types of plays for weeks/almost all year (cough.. screens)?

- DISGUISE. What you see is what you get. If Roman was creative, he'd run that roll-out to Miller as a FAKE with another option designed to get open deep or some other open space where the defense ISN'T expecting it.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
What if this has been Roman and Harbaugh's super secret plan all along? What if they have purposely only called rudimentary passing plays so that teams have no film on our real passing game? And they are planning to pull out the greatest passing offense ever seen just in time for the playoff run? Teams will not know what hit them. They will have no way to prepare for this super secret powerful juggernaut passing offense were hiding up our sleeve. f**king brilliant. They don't call Greg Roman the Fat mad scientist for nothing..

We good guys, we good.

this is what iv been really hoping since harbaugh came in. that he is risking using just enough offense to get us just enough wins for the playoffs. an keeping as much secret as he can. looks like that risk did not pay off against carolina cause as s**tty as we looked (and i think that was kaps worst game yet) we did only lose by one point. an if their kicker misses that fg or vance caught that throw he would have shrugged off kuechly easily an the game is ours. not to mention that play looked like it was designed for VD and he would have left kuechly in the dust. keeping the game playbook as limited as possible so we have more and more options that havent been seen yet come playoffs sounds like something harbaugh wud do which is one of the last strings of hope im holding onto with this staff. there isnt a staff in the league that would be dumb enough to use the talent we have like last sunday for 16 games a year even jacksonville and tampa bay wud get more out of them than we did. if that is their plan yes that is very smart cause this team has the talent an depth to make the playoffs playing just average. and since everyones thinkin were so one dimensional now that wud just play into our favor even more if when first playoff game comes and our opposition is seeing offensive plays that we havnt run once this season. they wont know what to do, crab boldin and VD comin across the middle and on the sideline, manningham and patton stretching the DB's and hunter and gore stayin shallow to occupy lbs or be there for the open shrt passes. not to mention the screens we can do with lmj if theyd just finally f**kin use him right. wed be the WCO nightmare we easily can be and i really hope they are planning to just unleash all this talent only when we really need it so it can be as destructive as possible.
not even mentioning everything our FB could do. we could be so dangerous its frustrating but lets be patient
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Carolina's defense knew our plays. I saw them yelling out the calls as soon as we lined up, and then they promptly stuffed the play. What we lack in the most simplest of terms is this:

- DIVERSITY. Our playbook has already reportedly been downsized. The variety in our playcalling is atrocious. How long are we going to have to complain that we haven't seen an assortment of certain types of plays for weeks/almost all year (cough.. screens)?

- DISGUISE. What you see is what you get. If Roman was creative, he'd run that roll-out to Miller as a FAKE with another option designed to get open deep or some other open space where the defense ISN'T expecting it.

exactly,poor play-calling, no imagination...like Mike,,,Mike singletary.