There are 127 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Derek Carrier Tote Bag of Unwarranted Optimism

Originally posted by Afrikan:
Damn shame Al's Son gets hazed every year.

Seriously though, what the f**k is up with Mark Davis' hair?
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
When we drafted Trey Millard everyone speculated he'd take the "Delanie Walker role" but wasn't Carrier signed with the same intentions? Interested to see how he's progressed w/ a year under his belt

Yup...heard some positive comments about him towards the end of last year too. Millard will be out the entire year, is what I'm hearing.

Yup, chances are Millard is red-shirted this year.

McDonald was brought in to play Walker's role, he just wasn't as productive, but he has the skills. Hoping we get him more involved, and actually design a handful of plays to get him the ball.

Carrier is a great athlete. He has some potential, so he might be an option down the line.

Remember we even took a shot on Chris Harper off waivers from Seattle. Tried to convert him to TE a la Walker. Didn't work out, we cut him after a few weeks.

So the team is actively looking for someone who can fill that Walker role and produce. Millard will be in the mix next season.
  • ethan
Carrier was really raw, coming out of DIII. He's still only 23. Just a couple weeks older than Patton. 4.5 speed at 250 pounds is nothing to sneeze at. They signed UDFA Kevin Greene from USC, who fits the same mold. 6-3, 250, 4.5 40 at his Pro Day workout. Greene played defense in college, but looked really good catching the ball when teams worked him out at TE.
I would love to see Carrier beat Celek for a roster spot. Celek is just a solid blocker tho
  • ethan
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
I would love to see Carrier beat Celek for a roster spot. Celek is just a solid blocker tho

Derek made some spectacular catches in OTAs. Fwtw.
Originally posted by ethan:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

Derek made some spectacular catches in OTAs. Fwtw.

Great to know...I had him making our 53 as an H-back. he had some positive reports late last season so it sounds like he's picking up where he left off. Keep bringing the info/reports as you find it.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Carrier was really raw, coming out of DIII. He's still only 23. Just a couple weeks older than Patton. 4.5 speed at 250 pounds is nothing to sneeze at. They signed UDFA Kevin Greene from USC, who fits the same mold. 6-3, 250, 4.5 40 at his Pro Day workout. Greene played defense in college, but looked really good catching the ball when teams worked him out at TE.

Thanks for the great info. I don't know too much about him or seen him play much. What I do know was that Colin was an explosive quarterback when we had another speedy tight end playing along side Vernon Davis. I am really looking forward to seeing these young players play in pre-season.
  • ethan
Draft Scout has Kevin Greene at 4.4 for his 40, which is Vernon Davis territory for a guy who was 6-3, 247. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=90500&draftyear=2014&genpos=TE
Draft Scout has Kevin Greene at 4.4 for his 40, which is Vernon Davis territory for a guy who was 6-3, 247. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=90500&draftyear=2014&genpos=TE

That's a freak!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Looks like he's a bigger Chris Harper. From what I read about Chris is that he's really doing well in Green Bay. We'll see. If Kevin has the hands to go along with that speed, he might bump out some of the other veterans out there.
  • ethan
That's a freak!

Would have been the best time for TE (and 3 cone as well) at the Combine. The average TE there was 6-4, 254, so he isn't small for the position, really.
That's a freak!

Would have been the best time for TE (and 3 cone as well) at the Combine. The average TE there was 6-4, 254, so he isn't small for the position, really.

If the height/weight above is accurate, he is similar in size to Vernon.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Looks like he's a bigger Chris Harper. From what I read about Chris is that he's really doing well in Green Bay. We'll see. If Kevin has the hands to go along with that speed, he might bump out some of the other veterans out there.

Never understood why we brought in an ideal H-back and instantly let him walk. Sounds like he's panning out now though...
Kaepernick did enjoy a few strong moments during the day. He connected with tight end Derek Carrier on a wheel route at the expense of slot cornerback Darryl Morris. In one of the final periods of the session, Kaepernick rolled to his right and rifled a back-corner touchdown pass to wide receiver Devon Wylie during an 11-on-11 period. Wylie was able to get free from cornerback Tramaine Brock's coverage.

Great news about Carrier. Keep it up kid!

Also, good news about Wylie (some NFL experience)...he seems like he could be a very good KO/PR and play the slot WR position as well. There could be one hell of a battle at the slot WR position this year.
Like it, He's got some good raw talent
Lets see what can be brought out of him