There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bootleg

Bootlegs can be real effective ways to pick up yardage on short-yardage downs. As long as we don't go to the well too many times, I really would like to see the Niners use Kap's legs on 3rd & short (or at least make the defense think about). There were two early opportunities last week that Gore was stopped short of the first down, no doubt leading Harbaugh to go for the one FG instead of going for it on 4th down.

I still remember Mike Shanahan using a lot of bootlegs in '94 to beat the Cowboys. Steve Young ran the bootleg about 10 times that day. It worked over and over again and really opened things up throughout the game. In close, defensive games, I think this is something we should do more.
fake the hand off roll out and hit a pass for 5-10 yards, seahawks do it a lot and it works almost everytime
[ Edited by crabman82 on Nov 16, 2013 at 8:43 AM ]
Originally posted by crabman82:
fake the hand off roll out and hit a pass for 5-10 yards, seahawks do it a lot and it works almost everytime time.

Yea that's the beauty of a bootleg. You can run it or have an option to throw to.
Hell ,at this point it'd probably work.

Why not even try an option pass?
Roman doesn't even know what a screen pass is. Do you think he'll know what a bootleg is
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Roman doesn't even know what a screen pass is. Do you think he'll know what a bootleg is

Funny thing is that Walsh used bootlegs occasionally, and masterfully used the screen pass. You'd think Harbaugh would use screens more.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

This!
bootleg to the left. no1 will expect it coming.
I don't even trust the play calling to properly set up a boot leg pass. We tried it once against Carolina and there was a defender right in Kap's grill the second he started to sprint right. I think that was the same play Kap got the facemask penalty. 1st time I've ever seen a QB get flagged for a facemask.
The hell, if Peyton Manning can score on a bootleg, why can't we run it.
Steve Young for OC
So OP are you telling me that Kap is gonna boot to his left AND RUNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Steve Young for OC

I would need a change of pants if this happened but steve is fat and happy at ESPN. He's still making a ton from his USFL contract too.