There are 102 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The one and only one way to beat the Saints...and SEA.

Our QB and OC have proved beyond reasonable doubt that kap cannot complete a 5 or 7 step drop pass (greater than 3 seconds) against elite teams with the BIG RUSH. We didn't against all the last 3 elite teams we played. There is only one way for a "one or two read QB" to complete a pass against the big rush, of elite teams. And that is to throw the ball in under 3 seconds. That means each and every pass play must be a 1 to 3 stepper, under 3 seconds, and both TE and WRs must be looking for the ball the moment they leave the LOS. If we do that, our QB who cannot read progressions past 2...or 3, will have to snap it and sling it. This is so simple it is ridiculous. Yet we have the amazing roman, calling 5-7 step plays that get blown up as kap is run to ground, sacked or hit..Completions for a kid who isn't good at reading Ds nor is he accurate, nor does he have a delicate touch pass....The answer there is to have him practice quick hitters all week long (too late already for saints), to the WR,either slot or WR split wide, or the TEs..or to Hunter of frank or LMJ. But don't give kap more than 2 targets up close because he has to do this bang, bang, bang and gone. Do this and we may get the opponents D to back off the LOS when we can try intermediate, 20 yd passes occasionally, and with luck, open up some holes for Frank, who has trouble running into a 10 man box.

If we don't do this we lose. Pure and simple. Also, kick roman off the team and let our HC be his own OC. Keeping roman will kill our shot at the playoffs....and with this talented team, that is inexcusable. C'mon Coach, fire roman before he pulls your team down with him. Oh, I forgot. Roman is a college coach and all you have to do there is win 10 games and you get to keep your job...well roman, this is the NFL...as in Not For Long...and that is you bubba. Adios.
I agree with you for the most part. I'd like to see more 3 step quick strikes in the offense. I thought we did that in the AZ game to counter their aggressive blitz schemes and it was effective. Haven't seen us do it successfully since then.

Currently, there is no rhythm to the passing game. We constantly try to set up the deep shot, sometimes without the running game. This was blatantly obvious against Carolina in the 2nd half. It was comical, Roman didn't even try to run the ball. I don't know how you set-up deep shots without the running game.

To hear the coaches call this a WCO is blasphemy. The WCO is supposed to make the defense defend all levels of the field, methodically dinking and dunking, controlling the ball, and taking advantage of deep shots when the opportunity arises. We try and force the issue and it's getting us nowhere.

Pre-Walsh it was very rare for a QB to have 60%+ completion. Now it's commonplace thanks to his principles. We are one of the few teams under 60% completion, thanks to the complete abandonment of WCO passing principles. I feel like I'm watching 1960's-70s era football. We only pass if it's a 7-step drop or off play action. Ridiculous.
all that will mean is he is one dimensional in the first place. If that's all SF did ,they will be adjusted to quickly and another plan is foiled. You try to play to a players strengths but its not that simple or so it seems
I agree to a certain extend. First of all, we gotta remember this is the NFL, not Pop-Warner football. That will work for a short period of time until the DC adjust to it and tell his CBs to jump every 3 step route they see, and you'll see a lot of pick 6s from Kap, or they play press man coverages and jam WRs and TEs at the line of scrimmage to disrupt routes and timing.

So your logic WILL NOT work against teams like Seacawks with physical CBs that excels in press-man coverages.

I believe, in order to be successful in the NFL offensively. You gotta be balanced and mix it up to keep the defense guessing and on their toes. Run the ball successfully, and you'll open up the pass, vice versa, pass the ball successfully to open up the run. Short passes opens up Intermediate and Long passes when the defense starts to creep up to defend the short quick passes. You gotta take what the defense is giving you. Its a game of chess for coaches and whoever has the better strategy wins, and it also comes down to the players to execute the play perfectly. You can call and come up with the best play in the history of football, but if the players doesn't execute properly, it won't work at all. Just my opinion. Go Niners!!
You should be our O-Coordinator.
I think the only way we beat both teams is by scoring more points than them.
Too complex for this offense, Kaep has to take off and then, just maybe, the airwaves will open up.
Don't forget to pound the rock to keep Brees off the field. Churn that clock. T.O.P. and red-zone conversions win the game, IMO.
[ Edited by 21SandersMoss84 on Nov 16, 2013 at 1:09 AM ]
  • IEAD
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 779
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
Don't forget to pound the rock to keep Brees off the field. Churn that clock. T.O.P. wins the game, IMO.

This for the Saints. The Saints and Seahawks are two entirely different teams. Don't get into a shoot out with the Saints, run the ball, and win T.O.P.

I would take Kaep in a shootout over Russel Wilson any day.
[ Edited by 9ers on Nov 16, 2013 at 12:39 AM ]
Originally posted by 9ers:
This for the Saints. The Saints and Seahawks are two entirely different teams. Don't get into a shoot out with the Saints, run the ball, and win T.O.P.

I would take Kaep in a shootout over Russel Wilson any day.

I wouldnt, DangeRuss has a way of making big plays.
I don't get how so many here keep talking about the playoffs, and after we get in..etc.. We lose this one and it's sayanara..gonna be interesting, and I think we will all know how it's going to go after about 5 10 minutes...Go Niners!!

BTW- Kap can read defenses, but not when he is on his back or running circles; remember last year?
Kap has a nice a nice soft ball, eg corner EZ floaters he and WR/TE have scored on; remember?

I think and has been siad this week, that in fact Harbs went total paranoid after those two ass kickings at the beginning and pulled everything back and is stifling the offence by design. This kind of BS will make everyone worse since there is no confidence being exibited by offensive calls, except of course by all the idiotic 5-7 step drop back. The D linemen, backers and CB all meet Kap when he's about halfway to where he wants to go and he looks like crap trying to elude someone,anyone and make a play..sad stuff...
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Nov 16, 2013 at 1:34 AM ]
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
I agree to a certain extend. First of all, we gotta remember this is the NFL, not Pop-Warner football. That will work for a short period of time until the DC adjust to it and tell his CBs to jump every 3 step route they see, and you'll see a lot of pick 6s from Kap, or they play press man coverages and jam WRs and TEs at the line of scrimmage to disrupt routes and timing.

So your logic WILL NOT work against teams like Seacawks with physical CBs that excels in press-man coverages.

I believe, in order to be successful in the NFL offensively. You gotta be balanced and mix it up to keep the defense guessing and on their toes. Run the ball successfully, and you'll open up the pass, vice versa, pass the ball successfully to open up the run. Short passes opens up Intermediate and Long passes when the defense starts to creep up to defend the short quick passes. You gotta take what the defense is giving you. Its a game of chess for coaches and whoever has the better strategy wins, and it also comes down to the players to execute the play perfectly. You can call and come up with the best play in the history of football, but if the players doesn't execute properly, it won't work at all. Just my opinion. Go Niners!!

I don't think the poster is suggesting to make this our passing game, but more so to incorporate the short passes to get the passing game going. As the defenders begin to creep up and defenses begin to adjust, it should open up the deeper throws. They also are going to have to get other guys going. Roman needs to get Baldwin, McDonald, Hunter, James, and Gore all more involved in the passing game. It seems that in our losses, defenses have never had to adjust to what we are doing. It isn't difficult to shut down our offense. I don't think many expected Baldwin to be a world beater, but I thought he could easily be a 20 catch guy in the role he originally had (4th/5th receiver). But in order for that to happen, Kaep has to go his way.
I agree with the OP. Make things simple and fast for Kaep, get his confidence back. What happened to the guy that torched GB?

Two simple things would help alot, things we havent seen since Seifert and Mooch. The quick slant out of the slot. I dont care who catches the ball. LMJ would make sense, assuming he catches the ball. But it doesnt seem like we throw this route for whatever reason.

The other thing is something we have talked about ad nauseum here. A damn screen pass. Our line got killed last week. The best two ways to slow a pass rush is running and screens. Gore is Gire, but he can only do so much. When we drop back, its all out on Kaep, no one respects the screen, because we dont use it. I dont understand why, never have, never will. Doesnt seem that Harbs and Roman like it or trust it.

Pound the ball, eat up clock, short early passes to get Kaep comfortable, so we can take shots when we want to, underneath slants and crossing routes and screens to take pressure off of the ground game and Kaep. Sounds easy enough, its worked before. If we want to get past NO and SEA, its going to take getting back to niner football to make it happen. I sure hope Harbs sees this and plans accordingly.

As for Roman, hell, he could be eating corn dogs with Alex for all I care, I hope someone, anyone wants him as a HC next year.
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
You should be our O-Coordinator.

i feel like this was probably meant as a joke, but yeah

pretty sure i could do a better job
[ Edited by xtm059 on Nov 16, 2013 at 5:36 AM ]
Originally posted by ram29jackson:
all that will mean is he is one dimensional in the first place. If that's all SF did ,they will be adjusted to quickly and another plan is foiled. You try to play to a players strengths but its not that simple or so it seems

Pretty much. If their DC recognizes this, wouldn't they just play lots of cover 2 press with the LBs sitting back in short zones? And if they do this? How many INTs can we survive from?