There are 137 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jon Baldwin - Another Guy Getting The Blame

Originally posted by NCommand:
Baldwin got his 3 passes (big time for us). And of course, all 3 are very low % passes. No issue on the TD. That was a very nice TD...that's a rule-issue. How the league expects a ball not to move a little on his chest when a 230 pound WR lands on his back on the ground is a joke-rule. Then, AFTER a T.O. CK launches a 40 bomb (no issue with the call actually - we NEVER take deep shots) in 1on1 coverage but he rainbows it so far in air, it looks like Baldwin lost it in the lights. After the play, you see CK pointing to himself as it was "my fault." I take it Baldwin was not the AR on that play either. I also didn't see CK audible to him.

We should use him on a quick slant, post pattern, etc. (where he can use his body, time jumps and adjust better)...these stupid long bomb sideline routes rarely work for ANY team. They have to be the lowest % play on the field.
Exactly. Baldwin is big and can jump. Use him that way. Those were the kinds of plays he did make in KC yet on this team he has rarely been used that way. HaRo just do not seem to know how to use his skill set. Too bad even Romeo Crennell could use this guy but HaRo can't.

What we do need is a speed guy to "take the lid off" the defense. He doesn't have to be a monster. Just somebody fast that is a threat to get behind the defense and take it to the house. Somebody to make the defense respect Kaepernick's arm strength. He doesn't even have to make a lot of catches every game. Just be used enough to make the defense respect the threat. If he could average, oh, say, about 17 yards/catch he could help open things up. Well, we had that guy but didn't know how to use him in this offense. Ted Ginn has caught 23 passes so far this season with Carolina for an average gain of 16.8. Plus he solved their return problems. Like Baldwin, Ginn is another guy HaRo don't know how to use.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Embarrassing outing by another 49ers WR. SHOCKING! Every single one of our WR's outside of Boldin are a disgrace to the position. I'm not counting Crabtree for obvious reasons but even Crabtree is nothing more than a younger version of Boldin only smaller. We have a bunch of slow possession receivers and until we get a downfield threat outside of the TE position we're screwed. Teams will continue to deploy loaded fronts against the 49ers because they've shown that their qb and line are overwhelmed by it and cannot overcome it.

I do not accept that. The problem is we don't give anyone other than Boldin and Vernon Davis an honest chance to catch the ball. Roughly half the plays yesterday involved 2 backs and 2 TEs with only a single wideout, about the same ratio as in most other games this season. NO was ready for it and lined up with 3 down linemen, 5 linebackers and only 3 DBs. That made it almost impossible to run the ball yet still provided more than enough coverage to take away any serious passing threat. You can't tell me that we have only one WR that can play the game.

In yesterday's game, Drew Brees completed passes to 11 different receivers. You can't tell me all of them are uplifting to the position of WR. Half those guys are names no one has ever heard of yet Sean Payton has constructed an offense that allows them to be used effectively.
Originally posted by dj43:
Baldwin got his 3 passes (big time for us). And of course, all 3 are very low % passes. No issue on the TD. That was a very nice TD...that's a rule-issue. How the league expects a ball not to move a little on his chest when a 230 pound WR lands on his back on the ground is a joke-rule. Then, AFTER a T.O. CK launches a 40 bomb (no issue with the call actually - we NEVER take deep shots) in 1on1 coverage but he rainbows it so far in air, it looks like Baldwin lost it in the lights. After the play, you see CK pointing to himself as it was "my fault." I take it Baldwin was not the AR on that play either. I also didn't see CK audible to him.

We should use him on a quick slant, post pattern, etc. (where he can use his body, time jumps and adjust better)...these stupid long bomb sideline routes rarely work for ANY team. They have to be the lowest % play on the field.
Exactly. Baldwin is big and can jump. Use him that way. Those were the kinds of plays he did make in KC yet on this team he has rarely been used that way. HaRo just do not seem to know how to use his skill set. Too bad even Romeo Crennell could use this guy but HaRo can't.

What we do need is a speed guy to "take the lid off" the defense. He doesn't have to be a monster. Just somebody fast that is a threat to get behind the defense and take it to the house. Somebody to make the defense respect Kaepernick's arm strength. He doesn't even have to make a lot of catches every game. Just be used enough to make the defense respect the threat. If he could average, oh, say, about 17 yards/catch he could help open things up. Well, we had that guy but didn't know how to use him in this offense. Ted Ginn has caught 23 passes so far this season with Carolina for an average gain of 16.8. Plus he solved their return problems. Like Baldwin, Ginn is another guy HaRo don't know how to use.

IIRC, the play where Baldwin didn't see the ball in the air - the Saints had an all out blitz with no safety in the middle of the field...and we had both Baldwin and Manningham run fly routes.
To me, that's poor play design. Why isn't one of them running a post? Wouldn't it make more sense to have Baldwin run a post in the middle of the field and throw a jump ball to him there? Granted, he probably would have bobbled it, but still.
Hold on to the f**king ball when you fall in the endzone, it'll help later on.
Originally posted by olapac:

IIRC, the play where Baldwin didn't see the ball in the air - the Saints had an all out blitz with no safety in the middle of the field...and we had both Baldwin and Manningham run fly routes.
To me, that's poor play design. Why isn't one of them running a post? Wouldn't it make more sense to have Baldwin run a post in the middle of the field and throw a jump ball to him there? Granted, he probably would have bobbled it, but still.

If he makes the same play in the middle of the field it is a catch. (I think the rule needs to be changed. Unless the ground helps the player secure the ball, it is a catch.)

However, your main point about blitz relief; one of the long-standing problems with the HaRo offense is that they do not have a TE that can read defenses and make the quick adjustment to beat the blitz by moving into the space vacated by the blitzer. Vernon has never shown the ability to do that. I had hopes the McDonald would be that guy but he seems to be tasked with blocking rather than being a quick relief valve.

Again, scheme seems to be the main culprit. Every good passing offense in the league has a TE and/or WRs that are adept at reading defenses and quickly finding the open areas. The 49ers have lacked that component ever since Eric Johnson left.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
In yesterday's game, Drew Brees completed passes to 11 different receivers. You can't tell me all of them are uplifting to the position of WR. Half those guys are names no one has ever heard of yet Sean Payton has constructed an offense that allows them to be used effectively.
In some games, Roman couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag, e certainly can't hold a candle to Payton... therein lies the problem.

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Hold on to the f**king ball when you fall in the endzone, it'll help later on.
This too
I think they will try to keep and develop Baldwin. If he can pull his head out and work very hard he has starter upside. He took a big pay cut, and they usually try to work with those guys. He is almost as big as Kelvin Benjamin but is much faster and much better vertical and broad jumps. Also more bench reps 20 vs. 13. If he has his head on straight should be great on special teams, with great WR upside. I'm the perennial optimist
Baldwin's Combine Results:
6 ft 4 in
228 lb
Arms: 34" !!!
Hands: 10 1/8"
40: 4.5
Vert: 42"
Broad: 10'8"
BP: 20 reps
[ Edited by maxsmart on May 22, 2014 at 11:28 PM ]
I smell season ending hamstring pull kinda IR thing
Originally posted by maxsmart:
I think they will try to keep and develop Baldwin. If he can pull his head out and work very hard he has starter upside. He took a big pay cut, and they usually try to work with those guys. He is almost as big as Kelvin Benjamin but is much faster and much better vertical and broad jumps. Also more bench reps 20 vs. 13. If he has his head on straight should be great on special teams, with great WR upside. I'm the perennial optimist
6 ft 4 in
228 lb

Hurray! We got Mike Evans without having to spend the #7 overall pick!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
I smell season ending hamstring pull kinda IR thing

When I saw him play, I thought he ran very lazy routs. When the few times he was thrown the ball, he never made a full effort to jump using his verticals to get the ball. Overall, I was unimpressed how he played in last year's pre-season games.
6 ft 4 in
228 lb

Any chance he can muscle Osgood out of the WR/special teams ace spot?
Originally posted by swayze:

That would require max effort. Hard to imagine that coming from Baldwin.
If this guy can develop the competitive fire necessary to compete in this league he has all the tools required to succeed. It is all in his mind why he isn't making more plays. He has to be much more aggressive!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on May 23, 2014 at 5:36 AM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
If this guy can develop the competitive fire necessary to compete in this league he has all the tools required to succeed. It is all in his mind why hr isn't making note plays. He has to be much more aggressive!

Surely this summer is his last chance.
Originally posted by swayze:
6 ft 4 in
228 lb

He should be better with those #'s. Wow. What a waste of talent.