LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 342 users in the forums

Jon Baldwin - Another Guy Getting The Blame

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
Baldwin would be very good playing the Dwight Clark role in a WCO...if we were running WCO here. In truth, Baldwin has more speed than Clark did hence he would be a better deep threat.

Whoa. What is the "Dwight Clark role"? Would that be the "Hall of fame career cut short with a knee injury role?" Not sure baldwin or too many other people would be filling that....

+ Clark was 6'5".
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Whoa. What is the "Dwight Clark role"? Would that be the "Hall of fame career cut short with a knee injury role?" Not sure baldwin or too many other people would be filling that....

+ Clark was 6'5".

Clark was 6'3" As a Hawkeye fan I even question if he was that tall. Love me some Dallas Clark though! GO HAWKEYES!
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sdniner:
Our receiving corps was fine even with crab/manningham out. A real QB would've done just fine with boldin/vd/kw/baldwin

Brady and Manning would not have done well with this receiving core (and pass play design) in their second year as a starter. Granted, not all the blame can be lobbed onto the receivers and Kaep has taken a step backwards during some games; but the combination of poor receiving speed with the type of routs / formations being run plays a huge roll in the overall under performance.

That goes right on Roman's shoulders.

The fact that KW was on the field during pass plays meant the 49ers were playing offense with 10 players instead of 11. That also has to factor during evaluation.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

+ Clark was 6'5".

Clark was 6'3" As a Hawkeye fan I even question if he was that tall. Love me some Dallas Clark though! GO HAWKEYES!

Different Clark...
Originally posted by 5280High:
Different Clark...

Figured it out.
Our receiving corps was fine even with crab/manningham out. A real QB would've done just fine with boldin/vd/kw/baldwin

Cool. Where do we find one of them? Draft? no, thats not guaranteed. Trade for "real qbs" like Brady, Peyton, Rodger, Brees? Not gonna happen. Hmm? Maybe, one of our backups? Probably not because if they were "real qbs" they would be starting. Hmmm...what do you suggest?
baldwin is 6'4" runs a 4.4. was used as the deep threat for k.c last season and couldn't get on the field over kyle williams because of coaching error.

it is not his fault.

the problem is that nobody gets multiple chances to do anything. the best way to get better is to have more reps. they gave kyle williams half of a season after it was clear he was crap

all this time was a waste literally since he is not on the team anymore.

why didn't they let badlwin start who could actually be a legit #2? defenses instantly respected him when he was in the game.

i put no blame on badlwin. everyone points out the single plays that the other guys get and whether they make them or not.
that's not fair. you need more than 1 play per game to make a difference.

a real qb would need a coordinator who could design pass plays. a real qb would need someone who had sense enough to know how to use personnel in the passing game. you mention baldwin but baldwin wasn't even playing much if at all. williams was.
the passing game is horrible because roman sucks at it and has sucked at it throughout his tenure here. this is not unique to kap it was the same since 2011.
but a real 49er fan who didn't just parrot television analyst would know that
With this "One read QB" do you think the first read is always Boldin or Vernon(now Manningham looks like he'll get a share of it as well now)?

It's easy to defend so shouldn't the play calls focus on the 2nd or 3rd receiving target as a primary receiver rather than those mentioned above? Baldwin!

I've read multiple sources now where the receivers are getting open but the 1st read is locked down so eyes down and run.

Time to give some of these guys a chance to succeed rather than pinning our hopes on our primary receivers.
This is exactly how I feel. I watch other teams like that have plugged in journey men, no name QBs and still had better passing attacks then us. The Bills, they have started 8 guys this year and they still manage to get more guys involved. It is frustrating as f**king hell. I just don't get it.

Originally posted by Rascal:
Just read the ESPN piece from Bill Williamson.

Seriously, I don't think is the kid's fault, you can't just say he has not taken advantage of his chance given by the 9ers.

Right now, he's had 3 receptions out of 6 targets for 28 yards in 5 games. Even if he was crap, at least he had 20 receptions out of 47 targets for 325 yards in 15 games when he was with the Chiefs.

Once again, it just goes to show the 9ers just don't utilize their secondary receivers. You just don't stand a chance if your name is not Anquan Boldin or Vernon Davis.

If Kap is having problems in finding open receivers, then Baldwin can surely help out a little to say the least when the teams key in on Anquan and Vernon.

from what i have seen baldwin isnt a guy that gets open alot--he is more like boldin...but i dont kapernick throwing him, or anyone else, open
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

Cool. Where do we find one of them? Draft? no, thats not guaranteed. Trade for "real qbs" like Brady, Peyton, Rodger, Brees? Not gonna happen. Hmm? Maybe, one of our backups? Probably not because if they were "real qbs" they would be starting. Hmmm...what do you suggest?

I'm not suggesting anything, just calling it like I see it. Kaep has sucked all year aside from week 1 in my opinion. I've noticed that our receivers seem to take the brunt of the blame for why our passing game is ranked dead last in the league,

I'm not calling for Kap's head; I know the guy is a physical freak, he's smart, he's got soooo much upside, but we're built to win now! I'm frustrated dude.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:

a real qb would need a coordinator who could design pass plays. a real qb would need someone who had sense enough to know how to use personnel in the passing game. you mention baldwin but baldwin wasn't even playing much if at all. williams was.
the passing game is horrible because roman sucks at it and has sucked at it throughout his tenure here. this is not unique to kap it was the same since 2011.
but a real 49er fan who didn't just parrot television analyst would know that

No just observations I've made since the superbowl. So are you telling me Kap doesn't look frantic and panicky to you? His footwork looks good to you? Vision? Accuracy? Decision making? All of those things are the OC's fault?

Once again, I'm not calling for his head, we all know he's got upside. But right now he sucks
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

I'm not suggesting anything, just calling it like I see it. Kaep has sucked all year aside from week 1 in my opinion. I've noticed that our receivers seem to take the brunt of the blame for why our passing game is ranked dead last in the league,

I'm not calling for Kap's head; I know the guy is a physical freak, he's smart, he's got soooo much upside, but we're built to win now! I'm frustrated dude.

Everybody is frustrated.But like, you said its not all on the wr's but it isn't all on the qb, either. O-line has to pass block better and and OC has to put the offense in better plays to succeed. So basically, its on the whole offense, as a unit, has to play better.

I don't know what you're seeing, but Kap has not sucked all season. He has had some good games and some bad ones.

I don't get this whole, " we're built to win now". Last time i checked the 9ers have been winning, they're 6-3. Still, on course to be in the playoffs. As for winning the superbowl, just look at the Pats and Colts, for example. Pats, havent won one since 2005. the Colts it took them long time to just win one and didnt win another eventough being an elite team for a decade. My point is that even though a team is built to win now, nothing is guaranteed.
[ Edited by Bay2Bay9erAllday on Nov 14, 2013 at 4:47 PM ]
Makes no sense to blame Baldwin when he has a limited role. Sure we need other guys to step up, but Baldwin is a known commodity. He's a marginal player. I don't expect him to make a difference, so I don't blame him when he doesn't.
Share 49ersWebzone