Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jon Baldwin - Another Guy Getting The Blame

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
not like the fkn niners would even realize if the dude was any good. They never use their weapons! it's so fkn frustrating. But hey, lets send Bruce Miller, Vance McDonald and Adam Snyder out wide. FKN BRILLIANT!
it is hard to believe that what chaz said is the truth,. we actually had those guys out wide. how can you justify the coaches for decisions like this . you see that s**t happen and it is a little easy to understand why some of us are less than thrilled about our prospects for making the playoffs let alone a deep run in the playoffs. putting miller mcdonald and snyder out wide I am sure strikes fear in the heart of the opponents
dafuq that supposed to mean? I ALWAYS speak the truth. It's just that no one wants to accept it.
it was not a negative comment bud! i was just trying to back you up and say,, its just hard to actually believe the team did what you said! we are on the same side bud
I find it hard to believe these receivers are never open. The 49ers coaches need to open the offense and make everyone available.
There was a reason he was traded for AJ Jenkins. With that said he needs more chances but I wasn't really expecting much out of him based on history. You would think he'd be a great redzone target. Seems like they never throw a slant or jump ball in the so he can use his size to his advantage.
Yeah people seem to think that our wide receivers are absolute crap. Baldwin hasn't even gotten any looks. How's he suppose to produce when he's not getting any targets or even being looked at. Plus he's not getting all that many snaps either. The blame goes back to the s**t play calling/ game planning, poor pass protection, and Kaps s**tty play this year.
They should give him more chances to make plays! I know this kid can ball. I would like the team to target him at least 5-7 times a game, throw him up some jump balls or something.
Originally posted by lamontb:
There was a reason he was traded for AJ Jenkins. With that said he needs more chances but I wasn't really expecting much out of him based on history. You would think he'd be a great redzone target. Seems like they never throw a slant or jump ball in the so he can use his size to his advantage.

He gets very little separation, but that can be worked around due to his large frame. They threw two jumpballs to him in the HOU game, with tight man coverage. One pass fell incomplete. The other he caught but fell (pushed) out of bounds. That was that as far as jump balls are concerned.
Yeah at the very least he should be used in the redzone. Dude has a huge catching radius, is close to 6'5 with a 40 inch vert and a former basketball player. I think he could do well on jumpball/fade routes in the endzone. Roman is too stupid to figure that s**t out though. He liked to put 5'10 kyle Williams in on 3rd and longs and redzone situations. Genius.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Here is a link the article being discussed

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/2540/baldwin-hasnt-fared-much-better-than-jenkins-did
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Just read the ESPN piece from Bill Williamson.

Seriously, I don't think is the kid's fault, you can't just say he has not taken advantage of his chance given by the 9ers.

Right now, he's had 3 receptions out of 6 targets for 28 yards in 5 games. Even if he was crap, at least he had 20 receptions out of 47 targets for 325 yards in 15 games when he was with the Chiefs.

Once again, it just goes to show the 9ers just don't utilize their secondary receivers. You just don't stand a chance if your name is not Anquan Boldin or Vernon Davis.

If Kap is having problems in finding open receivers, then Baldwin can surely help out a little to say the least when the teams key in on Anquan and Vernon.

I so agree with this.

Rascal, it's not just Baldwin. We have the same philosophy when it comes to LMJ and Hunter. We only use them as traditional, off-tackle runners. If you don't fit within a particular mold on this offense, you're either sent to Special Teams or a healthy inactive.

Baalke has to be going crazy. He drafts players that were productive in college but they are never used the same way under Harbaugh. Waste.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
I don't think anyone here thinks Baldwin is the next Calvin Johnson. But i think you have to make him a part of the offense. He is our biggest wr and would be a good redzone target.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Yeah at the very least he should be used in the redzone. Dude has a huge catching radius, is close to 6'5 with a 40 inch vert and a former basketball player. I think he could do well on jumpball/fade routes in the endzone. Roman is too stupid to figure that s**t out though. He liked to put 5'10 kyle Williams in on 3rd and longs and redzone situations. Genius.

With many CBs being 5'11", just throw it up and have Baldwin physically dominate the CB. Throw it high so it's either Baldwin or incomplete. Maybe Kap/HaRo doesn't want to throw fade routes in the endzone because it brings back haunting memories.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Guess who is taking KWs spot ?

I said it when KW got cut. I am not saying KW is some WR stud or can return kicks, but if we believe Baldwin might have some potential, there is no way we will get to see jack cos he won't be given the opportunity to play nevermind to develop. 6 targets in 5 games is just a joke !! Same thing with Moore who had 4 targets in 6 games, is just ridiculous.

As I've said repeatedly before, 49ers is like a graveyard for young wideouts. They only get the opportunity to do 2 things when they are with the 9ers : 1) block and 2) wait to be cut !! Nothing more !!

Even when Kap is struggling almightly, they still won't introduce some alternative targets for Kap when Anquan and Vernon are covered. I just don't get it unless Kap is truly just a one-read guy. But, I read Steve Young's piece and he believes the coaches should give Kap more targets so he can make more plays and improve on his progression reads.

So, sure I wouldn't be surprised if Baldwin gets cut in the offseason, not that he doesn't want to do anything about it, but what can he do when they don't throw him the ball ??

Baldwin and Williams have the same thing in common: they were relatively productive as wide outs until Harbaugh anointed Colin Kaepernick to replace Alex Smith.

Baldwin caught 41 passes in KC for an average of 14 yds/catch all with terrible QB play. Now in SF he has caught 3 for an average of 9.3 yards.

Williams in two years with Alex Smith caught 34 passes for an average of 14 yds/catch. This season before his release he caught 12 passes for an average of...wait for it...9.4 yds/catch.

See the pattern here.

Williams is freed from this offensive offense and within hours is reunited with Alex Smith. You can bet that unless something dramatic changes, when this season is over Jon Baldwin will leave in FA. No way will he want to stay here with this offense.
Originally posted by Jcool:
I don't think anyone here thinks Baldwin is the next Calvin Johnson. But i think you have to make him a part of the offense. He is our biggest wr and would be a good redzone target.

Baldwin would be very good playing the Dwight Clark role in a WCO...if we were running WCO here. In truth, Baldwin has more speed than Clark did hence he would be a better deep threat.
Originally posted by thl408:

With many CBs being 5'11", just throw it up and have Baldwin physically dominate the CB. Throw it high so it's either Baldwin or incomplete. Maybe Kap/HaRo doesn't want to throw fade routes in the endzone because it brings back haunting memories.

Yeah that's what I'm saying, give the dude a chance sometimes. Use his size and athletic ability. Don't let it go to waste.

And I'm still disgusted at the playcalling with four downs to score from the 5 yard line. Pathetic! We shoulda never lost to the Ravens. We beat them 8 times out of 10. I'll never get over that Superbowl lost. A superbowl win this year though will make me feel a lot better though. That's our teams motivation... 5 yards away! This time we execute and win it all. Every year we have improved by 1 game. NFC championship to the superbowl and now it's time to win the superbowl. Sorry for rambling lol
Originally posted by thl408:

Yeah that's what I'm saying, give the dude a chance sometimes. Use his size and athletic ability. Don't let it go to waste.

And I'm still disgusted at the playcalling with four downs to score from the 5 yard line. Pathetic! We shoulda never lost to the Ravens. We beat them 8 times out of 10. I'll never get over that Superbowl lost. A superbowl win this year though will make me feel a lot better though. That's our teams motivation... 5 yards away! This time we execute and win it all. Every year we have improved by 1 game. NFC championship to the superbowl and now it's time to win the superbowl. Sorry for rambling lol

Hah! I'm not gonna talk about what you rehashing. But yes, I am down with giving Baldwin a chance in the red zone. With defenses respecting the run game when the 49ers are inside the 10 yard line, Baldwin will for sure have 1 on 1 coverage with no safety help. Baldwin did come down with the ball on one of those jumpball throws versus HOU. He was just too close to the sideline and got pushed out of bounds as he came down with the ball in his hands. It's not like the CB out jumped him and the play was a complete disaster.