LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 294 users in the forums

Jon Baldwin - Another Guy Getting The Blame

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Just read the ESPN piece from Bill Williamson.

Seriously, I don't think is the kid's fault, you can't just say he has not taken advantage of his chance given by the 9ers.

Right now, he's had 3 receptions out of 6 targets for 28 yards in 5 games. Even if he was crap, at least he had 20 receptions out of 47 targets for 325 yards in 15 games when he was with the Chiefs.

Once again, it just goes to show the 9ers just don't utilize their secondary receivers. You just don't stand a chance if your name is not Anquan Boldin or Vernon Davis.

If Kap is having problems in finding open receivers, then Baldwin can surely help out a little to say the least when the teams key in on Anquan and Vernon.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Just read the ESPN piece from Bill Williamson.

Seriously, I don't think is the kid's fault, you can't just say he has not taken advantage of his chance given by the 9ers.

Right now, he's had 3 receptions out of 6 targets for 28 yards in 5 games. Even if he was crap, at least he had 20 receptions out of 47 targets for 325 yards in 15 games when he was with the Chiefs.

Once again, it just goes to show the 9ers just don't utilize their secondary receivers. You just don't stand a chance if your name is not Anquan Boldin or Vernon Davis.

If Kap is having problems in finding open receivers, then Baldwin can surely help out a little to say the least when the teams key in on Anquan and Vernon.

Guess who is taking KWs spot ?
The offense is just s**t right now. There is no one player to blame. Outside of Frank Gore no one has elevated their game to a championship level. From the coaching down to the players it has been s**t.

Im not sure there is a fix right now other than to just open it up and let everything go, and if we improve fine, if not, it cant get any worse.

Gore should get 20+ carries every game. And really he should be getting closer to 25. Anything less than 20 is unacceptable. He should also be seeing at least 5 targets in the passing game each week. Anything less is unacceptable.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Guess who is taking KWs spot ?

I said it when KW got cut. I am not saying KW is some WR stud or can return kicks, but if we believe Baldwin might have some potential, there is no way we will get to see jack cos he won't be given the opportunity to play nevermind to develop. 6 targets in 5 games is just a joke !! Same thing with Moore who had 4 targets in 6 games, is just ridiculous.

As I've said repeatedly before, 49ers is like a graveyard for young wideouts. They only get the opportunity to do 2 things when they are with the 9ers : 1) block and 2) wait to be cut !! Nothing more !!

Even when Kap is struggling almightly, they still won't introduce some alternative targets for Kap when Anquan and Vernon are covered. I just don't get it unless Kap is truly just a one-read guy. But, I read Steve Young's piece and he believes the coaches should give Kap more targets so he can make more plays and improve on his progression reads.

So, sure I wouldn't be surprised if Baldwin gets cut in the offseason, not that he doesn't want to do anything about it, but what can he do when they don't throw him the ball ??
Good article on Kap and the passing offense.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/11/13/three-issues-with-the-49ers-passing-game/
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I so agree with this.

Rascal, it's not just Baldwin. We have the same philosophy when it comes to LMJ and Hunter. We only use them as traditional, off-tackle runners. If you don't fit within a particular mold on this offense, you're either sent to Special Teams or a healthy inactive.

Sure, is not just Baldwin, it was the same thing with Moore too before he got cut and likewise Hunter and LMJ as you mentioned. This passing offense is only designed for that 1 or 2 superstars and when they get shut down no wonder is pretty much game over. Come on, 91 passing yards in a game is just pure embarrassment.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
not like the fkn niners would even realize if the dude was any good. They never use their weapons! it's so fkn frustrating. But hey, lets send Bruce Miller, Vance McDonald and Adam Snyder out wide. FKN BRILLIANT!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
not like the fkn niners would even realize if the dude was any good. They never use their weapons! it's so fkn frustrating. But hey, lets send Bruce Miller, Vance McDonald and Adam Snyder out wide. FKN BRILLIANT!
it is hard to believe that what chaz said is the truth,. we actually had those guys out wide. how can you justify the coaches for decisions like this . you see that s**t happen and it is a little easy to understand why some of us are less than thrilled about our prospects for making the playoffs let alone a deep run in the playoffs. putting miller mcdonald and snyder out wide I am sure strikes fear in the heart of the opponents
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good article on Kap and the passing offense.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/11/13/three-issues-with-the-49ers-passing-game/

yep, that article says a lot. all those examples in that article kind of makes me cringe. time to stop getting cute with formations and other b******t.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Good point. The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it is. You really have to wonder are Harbaugh and Roman even capable of putting a passing offense game plan together ? By that, I mean one that actually works.

I agree that this year the 49ers have had a major problem targeting secondary receivers. But I think the main reason for that is Kap's struggles in trying to adjust to be a pocket passer rather than the way the offense is run. When the 49ers offense started clicking last year in the playoffs, we saw multiple receivers being targeted. In the NFC Championship game, the receptions were as such:

Vernon Davis: 5 Rec 106 yards
Michael Crabtree: 6 Rec 57 yards
Randy Moss: 3 Rec 46 yards
Delanie Walker: 1 Rec 20 yards

In the Super Bowl, the distribution was the following:

Crabtree: 5 Rec 109 yards
Davis: 6 Rec 104 yards
Walker: 3 Rec 48 yards
Moss: 2 Rec 41 yards

Clearly the 49ers were targeting multiple receivers in those games, so I don't think that these plays all of a sudden disappeared from the playbook. It is definitely a factor that the personnel have changed, in that Kap didn't have Crabtree, Moss, or Walker this year, but I believe Kap's struggles this season are a major cause for the lack of production by secondary receivers, and even primary receivers. I strongly believe that the 49ers HAVE to design plays to help Kap build his confidence and become more comfortable in the pocket in order to help him in his learning curve. Otherwise, the passing offense is likely to continue to struggle mightily and that doesn't bode well for a Super Bowl run this year.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Excellent point and i'm glad you brought this up.

We MUST stop making excuses about our WR's not having the ability. These guys were studs coming out of college and not all of them can be failures. Remember the good old days when Bill Walsh was coach it seemed like every receiver that caught a ball had 10 yards around them with no tacklers around. We're just not calling the right plays at the right time and this falls on our OC & HC!

Get it fixed!
Imo, our superbowl hopes hinge on the condition of Crabtree's return. If he can return to 2012 form, I think he's the key to unlocking the whole offense.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by cciowa:
it is hard to believe that what chaz said is the truth,. we actually had those guys out wide. how can you justify the coaches for decisions like this . you see that s**t happen and it is a little easy to understand why some of us are less than thrilled about our prospects for making the playoffs let alone a deep run in the playoffs. putting miller mcdonald and snyder out wide I am sure strikes fear in the heart of the opponents
dafuq that supposed to mean? I ALWAYS speak the truth. It's just that no one wants to accept it.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
dafuq that supposed to mean? I ALWAYS speak the truth. It's just that no one wants to accept it.
it was not a negative comment bud! i was just trying to back you up and say,, its just hard to actually believe the team did what you said! we are on the same side bud
Share 49ersWebzone