There are 204 users in the forums

Our O-Line - Terrible?! Check the Football Insiders Rankings

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

This says a lot as well on our struggles. Our OLine is actually ranked 26th in run blocking and 22nd in pass protection. I'm actually surprised that our pass protection is not lower and that it grades out higher than the run blocking.

On this basis I'd really question if we should be giving any big contravts to any member of the line or if we wouldn't get better value from trades, free agency or the draft....
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/175629-what-real-problem-offensive-offense/
To be honest I take with sites like this and general opinion with a grain of salt. How can we be 26th in run blocking but consistently in the top five in the league in rushing this season? As far as the pass blocking, we were playing one of the best defensive fronts in football last Sunday, I expected it to be a dig fight. I think our pass blocking is above average, if Kap made quicker reads and if GRo and Harbs called some plays to help him out our offense would be much more productive. At the end of the day we don't know enough about the olines assignments and Kaps reads to say they are 26th in this or 22nd in that. All that matters is the win/loss column.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
To be honest I take with sites like this and general opinion with a grain of salt. How can we be 26th in run blocking but consistently in the top five in the league in rushing this season? As far as the pass blocking, we were playing one of the best defensive fronts in football last Sunday, I expected it to be a dig fight. I think our pass blocking is above average, if Kap made quicker reads and if GRo and Harbs called some plays to help him out our offense would be much more productive. At the end of the day we don't know enough about the olines assignments and Kaps reads to say they are 26th in this or 22nd in that. All that matters is the win/loss column.

Look at like this... 3 days ago, SF was in the top 15 (12th, IIRC) for pass pro ranking. So after last week's game and FO update, they are 22nd.

Now, some will say that the OL was horrid.. and they should drop down like this. Others will say that the QB hesitating and taking sacks like he did will be the cause for such a perceived OL drop in rankings. So it is really just yet another statistic that can be viewed by your individual perspective of blame applied.

Seeing our OL run block rank that low is a big surprise. This must indicate that our RB(s) have been getting stuffed or dropped for a loss quite frequently. So I go over to RBs in the same stat site source... and see that Frank Gore is ranked 21st in success rate. Pretty bad. For a comparison, Jamaal Charles is ranked 15th.. which just a week ago, he was ranked 24th.

So we can see quite a fluctuation week to week. I think it's a better source to judge by after the season is done. Week to week is a wild and capricious ride.
I don't buy those numbers at all. PFF has the 49ers up near the top in run blocking, about average in pass blocking.
I think they have been below average in pass pro & average in run blocking. A lot of the time Goodwin gets no push. O line has been dominated by every team with a good defense this year
[ Edited by lamontb on Nov 14, 2013 at 11:07 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I don't buy those numbers at all. PFF has the 49ers up near the top in run blocking, about average in pass blocking.

Yeah, they are 3rd best ranked in run block.... 16th in pass block... and that sounds far more accurate from the 9 SF games I have watched.
Kap needs to see the rush better. Some of the sacks and pressures this past sunday could have been avoided with better vision, pocket movement, and quick passes. He could have made decisions to just run the ball instead of look for an opening as well.

He did neither. He was just taking hits. But the O-line looked regular against a formidable defensive line.
Joe Staley is the only player on the oline playing good.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Yeah, they are 3rd best ranked in run block.... 16th in pass block... and that sounds far more accurate from the 9 SF games I have watched.

Agreed!

OLine will dominate this week! Both in the run game and passing. Book'um Danno!
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
OLine will dominate this week! Both in the run game and passing. Book'um Danno!

Last time someone said "Book'um Danno" we lost.
football insiders sucks
I think we should pay Iupati franchise QB money.
Originally posted by 49FanMan:
Last time someone said "Book'um Danno" we lost.

Awww... ... Cry Me A River Newbie!
Share 49ersWebzone