There are 147 users in the forums

Progressions

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Something some of you bench warmers don't get is that Dilfer didn't mean Kap can't make more than one read.........he meant the system/play calling isn't giving him more than one read even when on occasion it is designed to have more than one.

Its the system, play calling and the coordinating.

Steve Young agrees with him and said so.....publically. As in live.

I know it upsets some of you who are really more concerned with trying to dilute Dilfer's knowledge for some personal need to dilute him, but .....

Young AND Dilfer are right on the mark.
Originally posted by SneakySniper:
Originally posted by mod:
I think it means "Shut the f**k up Dilfer"

Yes, but it also implies that going through progressions is not his problem.
You have to have protection to throw the ball. WR and QBs have to be on the same page in site adjustments. Not enough play action. Play calling has bad tendencies, other teams expoloit that
I don't know if any of you guys watched NFL Playbook on Friday but they clearly showed Kaepernick struggling to see the blitz and to know where to throw the football. I saw plenty of our WRs and TEs open down the middle and he just didn't see it!!!

As an NFL QB you can't wait until your players get open you have to throw the ball to the spot where you think they will be.

Until he gets this our offence will continue to struggle.
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:
I don't know if any of you guys watched NFL Playbook on Friday but they clearly showed Kaepernick struggling to see the blitz and to know where to throw the football. I saw plenty of our WRs and TEs open down the middle and he just didn't see it!!!

As an NFL QB you can't wait until your players get open you have to throw the ball to the spot where you think they will be.

I'm sure he has missed them, but I'm sure if they picked other plays they could've shown the lack of creativity in coaching also.

You don't get the worst passing attack in the league by just having a QB missing receivers. It's always a culmination of things. In this case, I think it's the QB inexperience, lack of adjustments to play calling, bad pass protection, and lack of talent at wide out.

Bottom line is that if players are not performing in a system, good coaches manipulate the system to work with a player's strengths, not against them.

With a young QB, you don't continue to make him drop straight back against a heavy pass rush. You move the pocket and input plays that counter strong rushes.

The same can be said for a line that is bad at pass pro. Don't continue to run long-developing plays when you know they can't all block for more than 2 seconds. On any given play, four of the five hold strong, but one seems to get blown up.

With receivers lacking speed, again, quit with the long-developing routes. They aren't getting to their breaks until after the QB is under heavy pressure.

In my opinion, every player/coach has their fair share of blame, but none more than Roman.
In anticipation of the game tomorrow, I have been watching the highlights of last years play-off run and I cannot believe that the 49ers still have the same quarterback. Kaepernick looked amazing in those games, so what has changed?

Some might say teams have figured Kaepernick out, but watching the highlights says differently, since teams were giving the same looks to Kaepernick as he is seeing now. The only difference between then and now is the play-calling and personnel.

All that aside, I cannot wait till the Saints game tomorrow since, as others have already mentioned, it is a statement game.

Pretty funny side note: Spell check corrects Kaepernick to Pumpernickel. LOL.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
"Spell check corrects Kaepernick to Pumpernickel"
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:

Yeah I saw the piece as well. Kaep just wasn't scanning the field well at all.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
i dont understand why dilfer is considered a qb genius by the media, he was mediocre at best and was one of the least important pieces of a superbowl team ever.

Exactly. If it was Warner that said what he said I might have taken it a bit more seriously.

I don't agree with Dilfer, but you can't assume he doesn't know what he's talking about just because he wasn't a good QB. Pretty much every NFL QB knows what it takes to succeed, but not all of them HAVE what it takes. Look at the better coaches who have actually played the game... Many of them were average or below average players, yet they know how to coach and they know what a player is doing right and wrong.
Originally posted by Empire49:
i dont understand why dilfer is considered a qb genius by the media, he was mediocre at best and was one of the least important pieces of a superbowl team ever.

Exactly. If it was Warner that said what he said I might have taken it a bit more seriously.

I don't agree with Dilfer, but you can't assume he doesn't know what he's talking about just because he wasn't a good QB. Pretty much every NFL QB knows what it takes to succeed, but not all of them HAVE what it takes. Look at the better coaches who have actually played the game... Many of them were average or below average players, yet they know how to coach and they know what a player is doing right and wrong.
well said.
There tons of blame to go around. Kaepernick has MASSIVE flaws in his game right now and is not playing with confidence which is evidenced by his hesitation to make throws to open players, holding onto the ball, not trusting the reads AND/OR making the wrong reads.

The problem is, his flaws are compounded and magnified by some of the horrific calls and formations Roman is putting out there. Carolina knew some of our plays even before the snap and you could see them yelling to their teammates what the call was. We are missing vital aspects of a diverse passing attack and that falls mostly on Roman. CK does need to execute many of the calls better, but Roman has GOT to call not only BETTER plays, but DIFFERENT plays and use some creativity please.

We need more of the following:

* Deep routes, with one or more underneath options so in the case the deep routes are not options, they still can function as "clear-out" routes. Additionally, the deeper the DBs run.. the more open field CK has to take off downfield as well. It's not rocket science. Deep route not there? Drop it to the outlet. Outlet not there? Run.

* Screens -- both to the RBs and WRs. The passes to Miller are designed roll-outs to the flat. Those do not count as "screens".

* More quick-hitters. The 5 and 7-step drops aren't going to fly if we're facing heavy pressure. Quick slants, timing routes, quick outs. HOT ROUTES. We simply aren't hitting anything resembling a hot route right now.

* More roll-outs that incorporate misdirection. See: Monday night game a couple years back against Pittsburgh. Alex drops a perfect backside throw to Vernon Davis. Play is a disguised roll-out to the right. Smith rolls right, stops, sets feet and suddenly looks left and lofts a beautiful ball to Vernon who is the only receiver running a route to the left.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 16, 2013 at 9:23 PM ]

Originally posted by Empire49:

Dilfer is a brown nose !!!!!
Originally posted by 49erWay:
Something some of you bench warmers don't get is that Dilfer didn't mean Kap can't make more than one read.........he meant the system/play calling isn't giving him more than one read even when on occasion it is designed to have more than one.

Its the system, play calling and the coordinating.

Steve Young agrees with him and said so.....publically. As in live.

I know it upsets some of you who are really more concerned with trying to dilute Dilfer's knowledge for some personal need to dilute him, but .....

Young AND Dilfer are right on the mark.

Bingo!
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
There tons of blame to go around. Kaepernick has MASSIVE flaws in his game right now and is not playing with confidence which is evidenced by his hesitation to make throws to open players, holding onto the ball, not trusting the reads AND/OR making the wrong reads.

The problem is, his flaws are compounded and magnified by some of the horrific calls and formations Roman is putting out there. Carolina knew some of our plays even before the snap and you could see them yelling to their teammates what the call was. We are missing vital aspects of a diverse passing attack and that falls mostly on Roman. CK does need to execute many of the calls better, but Roman has GOT to call not only BETTER plays, but DIFFERENT plays and use some creativity please.

We need more of the following:

* Deep routes, with one or more underneath options so in the case the deep routes are not options, they still can function as "clear-out" routes. Additionally, the deeper the DBs run.. the more open field CK has to take off downfield as well. It's not rocket science. Deep route not there? Drop it to the outlet. Outlet not there? Run.

* Screens -- both to the RBs and WRs. The passes to Miller are designed roll-outs to the flat. Those do not count as "screens".

* More quick-hitters. The 5 and 7-step drops aren't going to fly if we're facing heavy pressure. Quick slants, timing routes, quick outs. HOT ROUTES. We simply aren't hitting anything resembling a hot route right now.

* More roll-outs that incorporate misdirection. See: Monday night game a couple years back against Pittsburgh. Alex drops a perfect backside throw to Vernon Davis. Play is a disguised roll-out to the right. Smith rolls right, stops, sets feet and suddenly looks left and lofts a beautiful ball to Vernon who is the only receiver running a route to the left.

Thank you...nice post...spot on. I like that you didn't minimize CK's issues which to me, is an end results of the real issues, HaRoMan game planning/play calling. Now you are seeing essentially, the Alex Smith offense everyone hated (except Roman at least HAD check down options built into the offense). CK has one-and-done and now, looks shaken, hesitant, unsure, lacks confidence, etc...just an end result of misuse or poor use of proper personnel (by all). One reason we went with CK was b/c of his upside and endless ways we could use him...shot gun, Q formation, under C, WCO, run, pass, etc. With all due respect to Delanie Walker, CK is the real swiss army knife of this offense. Yet, what are we getting out of him to this point?
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 17, 2013 at 7:04 AM ]
What if they tried Coly McCoy with the 1st unit? I think they should try it just for a game and have Kaep sit on the sideline and see how defenses with different coverages. just to gather his thoughts and quit pressing.
Share 49ersWebzone