LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 195 users in the forums

Worth Reading

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Good article. Whether you like the source or not, the content cannot be denied.

I've seen many plays where Kap just flat out missed an open receiver (be it with an errant pass or just not seeing the guy running free). He needs to work on capitalizing on those opportunities. However, he gets no help from Roman or his receivers. It's sad, really.
Is Mangini still with the team? What is his role in this mess??
Originally posted by OldMort49:
Is Mangini still with the team? What is his role in this mess??

He was supposed to be advising the offense in some way. Could he be playing a bigger role than we know? I've never thought Roman was great (outside of designing run plays the first season), but he wasn't nearly this awful until Mangina showed up.
[ Edited by Empire49 on Nov 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM ]
It was a mistake to trade Alex Smith. Even if you gave Kaepernick the starting job, Smith was an affordable insurance policy given that Kaepernick earns squat. The trade compensation for Smith was nice, but without a capable backup the coaches are putting Kaepernick in a role that he's not suited for. He sucks at traditional quarterbacking. He's pretty good when he's playing balls out and running a lot. If the team wants to seize on this window of opportunity with their Super Bowl caliber roster, they've got to let Kaepernick play like a wild man down the back stretch and just accept the real risk of injury. If they try to preserve him, like he's some kind of priceless franchise QB (in my opinion he's not), then we're just going to watch the frustrating growing pains of developing a traditional pro-style passer from an unconventional background, similar to what we endured with Alex Smith. He might get hurt, or he might win us a Super Bowl. But given our current position in the standings and our inability to beat good teams, I think the team needs to let go of the reigns and let Kaepernick do his thing. He's best when he's engaged, and running, and in the mix. They also should probably try to use a high draft pick next year for another QB, because an unrestrained Kaepernick will eventually get hurt and a restrained Kaepernick just isn't that good. That's my two cents.
Originally posted by Empire49:

I've seen many plays where Kap just flat out missed an open receiver (be it with an errant pass or just not seeing the guy running free). He needs to work on capitalizing on those opportunities. However, he gets no help from Roman or his receivers. It's sad, really.

Did you read the article? The article didn't touch on this point at all. It was all about the 49ers from an offensive game plan point of view.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by Empire49:

Did you read the article? The article didn't touch on this point at all. It was all about the 49ers from an offensive game plan point of view.

lulz
Good read & spot on. This offense needs a serious jolt of different play calls if they want to go deep into the playoffs.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
"cliff notes, *************! Can you gives them?!?"

Why does it take a fan to point out to the coaching staff the obvious? Use a tall, big-bodied TE on 3rd downs and in the red zone? Who would have thought? Use a great open field runner like James on screens and safety outlet routes? Revolutionary! The front office takes these guys with high draft picks and then on game day they are never utilized? Our 2nd round TE has 15 targets through 9 games and our 2nd round RB has only suited up 3 times? None of it makes any sense.

He's too much of a p***y to ever do it, but Roman needs to explain his thought process here. I hope he takes some other job next year - I'd rather have Lane Kiffin as our OC than this idiot.
Good points , good read

i wanna see some new s**t! I wanna see screens, 4 WR sets, hurry up offense. Every time, our offense is lethargic and ugly. It's not very exciting at all.

When was the last time I saw a sweep to the outside ......
However, San Francisco is now looking to take the next step and it seems like he [Roman] is holding the team back, or jeopardizing its chances at the very least.

Couldn't agree more. Roman is not nearly as creative or innovative as he thinks he is.

We'll never have an explosive or even sufficient passing attack with Roman at the helm. His passing schemes are unsophisticated and inferior to even college passing attacks. All of his creativity lies in the running game and for some odd reason, he loves abandoning the run even when it works.

He fails at utilizing the younger talent (Vance, LMJ, Hunter) on the roster. He is afforded one of the most stacked offenses in terms of talent and potential explosiveness and yet our offense looks this bad while other OC's get more with less. Unacceptable. Vance will never develop as a reliable receiving threat if he's blocking 90% of the time. Why not throw a few screen passes to LMJ (ala Brees-Sproles)? Does Roman even know what screens are?

Facing decent competition, Roman not only blinks but he crumbles. Who cares if he looks like a genius against weak, inferior competition when he gets all floundered and sloppy with the play calling and vomits all over the game plan when it really matters (Rams & Seahawks last year, the SUPER BOWL, Seahawks again this year, Colts, and now the Panthers).

Bottom line - Roman holds this offense back, we'll never reach the next step or our full potential with him here. He doesn't deserve to be back after this year.
Can someone email this article to Jed,Trent. and Jim.
Originally posted by BSofSF:
It was a mistake to trade Alex Smith. Even if you gave Kaepernick the starting job, Smith was an affordable insurance policy given that Kaepernick earns squat. The trade compensation for Smith was nice, but without a capable backup the coaches are putting Kaepernick in a role that he's not suited for. He sucks at traditional quarterbacking. He's pretty good when he's playing balls out and running a lot. If the team wants to seize on this window of opportunity with their Super Bowl caliber roster, they've got to let Kaepernick play like a wild man down the back stretch and just accept the real risk of injury. If they try to preserve him, like he's some kind of priceless franchise QB (in my opinion he's not), then we're just going to watch the frustrating growing pains of developing a traditional pro-style passer from an unconventional background, similar to what we endured with Alex Smith. He might get hurt, or he might win us a Super Bowl. But given our current position in the standings and our inability to beat good teams, I think the team needs to let go of the reigns and let Kaepernick do his thing. He's best when he's engaged, and running, and in the mix. They also should probably try to use a high draft pick next year for another QB, because an unrestrained Kaepernick will eventually get hurt and a restrained Kaepernick just isn't that good. That's my two cents.

No offense but it really doesn't look like you read any of the article.

First, the loss of Alex Smith is highly overstated. For what he might have added to Kap's knowledge base, he also could've helped divide the locker room by being held against his will, so to speak. He also cost way too much to ride the pine. It just wouldn't be smart.

Just as a side note for the people that refer to Alex Smirh being 9-0: the chiefs have yet to play a team over .500, and five of their wins have come against back up QBs.

Back to my original point.

I really don't think Kaepernick would be struggling if the offense were built in a way that would help him overcome some of the lack of experience. This passing attack is childish, and if you look at that screenshot of a play against Carolina, there is nothing that any amount of experience would help in that situation.

I've seen plays called like this on multiple occasions. Receivers running down the field in routes over ten yards, none of them turning around while Kap (or Alex Smith before him) has a defender all over him.

The coaching staff could fix a lot of these problems with more plays to counter a heavy rush. They just simply don't do it. Harbaugh had nothing to say when he was asked about it but he did acknowledge that it's a "point taken"

Bottom line is that Kap has not played great, but he needs to be put in a better position to succeed. The most innovative that this OC has been was stealing the read option after watching RG3 run it.
Originally posted by midrdan:
Why does it take a fan to point out to the coaching staff the obvious? Use a tall, big-bodied TE on 3rd downs and in the red zone? Who would have thought? Use a great open field runner like James on screens and safety outlet routes? Revolutionary! The front office takes these guys with high draft picks and then on game day they are never utilized? Our 2nd round TE has 15 targets through 9 games and our 2nd round RB has only suited up 3 times? None of it makes any sense.

He's too much of a p***y to ever do it, but Roman needs to explain his thought process here. I hope he takes some other job next year - I'd rather have Lane Kiffin as our OC than this idiot.

Just to add on. Frank Gore has ten receptions this year!!

In the years before Harbaugh with Gore as a starter, he never had anything less than 43 receptions. Let that sink in.

This has nothing to do with the QB because it dropped with Smith at QB too. It has everything to do with this pre-historic passing attack.

I'm real interested to see Kyle Williams in KC now.
Share 49ersWebzone