Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Weak link in the defense?

The sky is falling.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
The sky is falling.

you should be concerned about our third down conversion rate on both sides of the ball.
No pass rush. Thats the issue.
Some people just have to find a scapegoat. We lost because the offense couldn't score more than 10 points. When your defense holds a team to 10 points, you should win. Period. No excuses. No different than an offense scoring 40 points and losing. I don't care what Tarrell Brown gave up. Nothing about this loss is on the defense. Even if he is having a down season.
Originally posted by LVJay:
two weakest links of the defense is

1. The offense.

2. When Fangio decides to Fangina.

Ding, ding, ding!! We have a winner.

I can't believe people want to hang any of our losses on the defense. All three times that we loss this season, had our offense given us anything, the defense probably would've held up into the 4th quarter verses the Seahawks and Colts because they would've actually had time to rest and we would've been able to out away the Panthers. Was there even 150 yards of passing offense Sunday?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Ding, ding, ding!! We have a winner.

I can't believe people want to hang any of our losses on the defense. All three times that we loss this season, had our offense given us anything, the defense probably would've held up into the 4th quarter verses the Seahawks and Colts because they would've actually had time to rest and we would've been able to out away the Panthers. Was there even 50 yards of passing offense Sunday?

No.
Just based on what i have seen this year, i would have to say Brown has been the weak link. The last 2 years i have considered him their most underrated and best CB, but this year he seems to be getting beat a fair amount... compared to years past and the other DB's.
Some people just have to find a scapegoat. We lost because the offense couldn't score more than 10 points. When your defense holds a team to 10 points, you should win. Period. No excuses. No different than an offense scoring 40 points and losing. I don't care what Tarrell Brown gave up. Nothing about this loss is on the defense. Even if he is having a down season.

Just as it has been previously pointed out, the OP was not blaming anything on the D. The questions was simply who would be considered the weak link on D. Not sure why this keeps getting derailed..
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
Like i said before.It seems every time the 49ers blitz they send there slowest DB.(Carlos Rodgers)

That makes sense...Rodgers is a pretty slow QB.

• kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JayT:
Tarrell Brown really hurt the defense against the Panthers. Every time they needed a critical 3rd down conversion, Carolina threw the out route to a few different receivers on Brown. If Newton could figure that out, Drew Brees will eat his lunch. Got to get off the field on 3rd and long and he could not cover that route period!

Unfortunately, the facts don't support the basis of this entire thread.

According to the play by play, in the 4th quarter, Carolina was 3 for 6 on third down. On the the drive that Carolina scored the go ahead FG, they completed an 8 yard pass to Steve Smith on a 3rd and 6 with Brock being credited with the tackle. On 3rd and 19, Newton completed a 6 yard pass to Steve Smith with Brown getting credited for the tackle. Carolina then kicked the 53 yard FG.

On their next drive, Carolina converted one pass to Ginn for 11 yards on a 3rd and 7. This could have also been on Brown but the defense got off the field on the next set of downs giving the offense the ball back with 5:25 left.

Carolina got the ball back with 2:27 left. The one third down conversion in that drive was a 9 yard pass to Steve Smith on 3rd and 8. No credit was given for the tackle. Smith was pushed out of bounds so that could have been Brown. On the following 3rd and 2, the 49ers stopped them and forced the punt that led to final 49ers possession with about a minute left.

During the Third Quarter, Carolina was 1-4 on third down conversions. The one conversion was on a pass to Tolbert, who I don't think Brown was covering.

During the Second Quarter, Carolina converted 1 of 3 third downs. The one third down conversion did extend the drive that ended with Williams' 27 yard TD run.

During the First Quarter, Carolina was 2-4 on 3rd down conversions. The 2 conversions were on a 3rd and 1 and 3rd and 4 on runs, not passes.

So, all total, the Panthers were 7 for 17 on third down, but only 5 for 13 when they threw the ball on third down. Moreover, not all of the 3rd down conversions were on Brown. And, there were no "3rd and forever" type downs. The ones that were converted by throwing were between 6-8 yards.

Considering the defense held the Panthers to 10 points, came up with 2 turnovers, did not allow a TD pass and no pass longer than 19 yards, I don't know what more you could ask. The defense did, at a minimum, a good enough job at getting off the field. The truth is that the Carolina defense was just a little better and/or the 49er offense was a little worse.
TBrown is the last guy i worry about in our secondary.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Just as it has been previously pointed out, the OP was not blaming anything on the D. The questions was simply who would be considered the weak link on D. Not sure why this keeps getting derailed..

You don't need to repeat yourself bro. Some people in here really lacks reading comprehension and there's nothing we can do about it, smh.
[ Edited by 808niner4lyphe on Nov 15, 2013 at 4:52 PM ]
Nothing this year has gone over the top on this Defense. Offenses that try are getting their quarterbacks sacked. I see no problem with Tarell Brown, he has been a stabilizing factor since being inserted into the starting lineup. If the passing offense had been middle of the pack we'd be 8-1.
Aldon Smith's drug and alcohol and gun problems.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

It's funny how our defense was the main reason why we lost the SB and now they're carrying the offense on their backs. If this defense can keep playing this way and even improve just a little going into the playoffs, we have another chance to get to NFCC. AND if the offense can finally get it together, we'll be scary good (regardless if we're in as wildcards)... I won't mind going in as a wildcard, we'll probably play better as underdogs.