There are 186 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Weak link in the defense?

• JayT
  • Veteran
Tarrell Brown really hurt the defense against the Panthers. Every time they needed a critical 3rd down conversion, Carolina threw the out route to a few different receivers on Brown. If Newton could figure that out, Drew Brees will eat his lunch. Got to get off the field on 3rd and long and he could not cover that route period!
[ Edited by JayT on Nov 13, 2013 at 9:53 AM ]
they gave up 10 points. at some point the O has to step up and do their part. in this league you aren't going to shut down everything defensively, its slanted towards the O being able to make some plays.
  • JayT
  • Veteran
I agree but on third and forever, a good defense has to get off the field, especially when you know where they're going with the football. Let's pick on Brown, he can't stop that play and Newton knew the blitz was coming.
The defense didn't step up when we needed them to...but with that said they only gave up 10 points. I'll take that any day! The offense has to deliver.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
The defense didn't step up when we needed them to...but with that said they only gave up 10 points. I'll take that any day! The offense has to deliver.

what more do they really have to do? i realize they were a few plays that extended drives that you'd ideally like to be stopped. but they also did things like give the team the ball inside the 10 or so on a pick return. they also got off the field giving kaepernick about a minute of so to go get a game winning fg. i'm not sure what more people want out of them, especially when the O is going 3 and out a lot in that game.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Blaming anything on the defense this season is ridiculous. Even against the Colts and Seahawks they held them to under 12 points until the 4th quarter when they got gassed because the offense couldn't move the ball.
Originally posted by Disp:
Blaming anything on the defense this season is ridiculous. Even against the Colts and Seahawks they held them to under 12 points until the 4th quarter when they got gassed because the offense couldn't move the ball.

exactly, eventually the levy is going to break and it usually happens in the 4th quarter. 6 points per game in our losses just isnt cutting it. its not on the D.
It's more about technique and coaching/scheme. Fangio, for whatever reason, LOVES to play his CB's way off on 3rd and longs AND has them back-pedaling. Simple, simple completions. In fact, at my sport bar, I always point out who the QB is going after pre-snap. Simple, usually, one plays a little closer to the LOS and the other is playing a mile off. Guess who the QB is going after? I swear, this happens ALL the time. And I'll never understand it. It's one thing if the team has challenged you time and time again deep and have won...THEN yeah, you may want to back off and keep things in front of you.

The other technique I freaking hate is that the CB's on the outside, often times, somehow end up in trail-mode and instead of running through the play (and turn their head around), they wait for the body language of the WR to demonstrate the ball has arrived and then swipe at it like a swarm of fllies...head forward. It almost always leads to at least a P.I. Worse off, it means the CB's are not instructed to be physical and keep the WR's in front of them, therefore, how can they SEE the QB AND make a play on the ball? Therefore, they don't, esp. on 3rd and longs. They rely on poorly thrown balls and drops. INT's have gone WAY down as a result.

On the flip side, other teams use their CB's to challenge WR's tight up at the LOS while keeping the WR in front of them AND they keep their eyes on the QB...now they can break on the ball as needed.

PS: The OP is talking about our weak links on defense. This has NOTHING to do with blame on the offense, people....stay on topic.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM ]
  • JayT
  • Veteran
Again, I fully understand the arguments but if this team is going to contend with the upper echelon of the NFL, that cannot happen on 3rd and forever. At least not more than once.
Originally posted by JayT:
Again, I fully understand the arguments but if this team is going to contend with the upper echelon of the NFL, that cannot happen on 3rd and forever. At least not more than once.

it actually can, this league is about points, not yards ok? they held them to 10 points, the O scored 9 points. its pretty simple where the fault lies.
  • JayT
  • Veteran
AGAIN, top defenses get off the field on 3rd and forever, I realize the Offense is pitiful right now point taken, still not acceptable for a top ranked defense to give up 3rd and long on multiple drives, with the same play.
  • JayT
  • Veteran
Is Brown the weak link, is it scheme or what? Just asking.
Originally posted by JayT:
AGAIN, top defenses get off the field on 3rd and forever, I realize the Offense is pitiful right now point taken, still not acceptable for a top ranked defense to give up 3rd and long on multiple drives, with the same play.

if you're yearning for the 2011 D, dont hold your breath. that D was borderline historic, that isnt coming back anytime soon. you'll have to settle for this version which yeilds 10 points and loses. i also remember that 2011 D giving up a 3rd and long td to manningham in the title game, but people only wanna talk about KW.
Like i said before.It seems every time the 49ers blitz they send there slowest DB.(Carlos Rodgers)
Originally posted by crabman82:
they gave up 10 points. at some point the O has to step up and do their part. in this league you aren't going to shut down everything defensively, its slanted towards the O being able to make some plays.

I said before the game that Brown has not been playing well this year. And he hasn't. He seems to be the least-feared and most-tested DB on the team. He doesn't give up huge plays at a time, but he does give up a bunch of shorter, drive-sustaining catches every game. As I said before, what really irritates me is the fact that he'll give up these catches, then he'll eventually break up ONE pass and make some stupid gesture as if he's been locking receivers down all day. Ridiculous.

Against the Panthers he was just awful and got abused on 3rd downs.