There are 161 users in the forums

Do we have a 100 Million Dollar Qb?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do we have a 100 Million Dollar Qb?

Right now I'd have a hard time giving him 5 years, 75 million. We can't sign him until after the season ends so we can see how he does with Crabtree back. Then I'd wait until mid way next year before I start negotiations. Make sure he performs well the rest of this year, playoffs if we make it and then next year. If Crabtree does well the rest of this season I'd start negotiations and see what he wants. If he wants like 55 million over 5 I'd probably pass. I'd consider like 45 million for 5 years... 50-52 would be pushing it he'd have to really light it up the rest of the way. I think we are working with Iupati but we will see what he wants. I think he is banged up and that's part of his down play. I'd rather sign Crabtree (if comes back strong and reasonable price) then Iupati. Could always move Boon to LG and fill in RG which is the easiest spot to fill in. We will have to see what Iupati wants though. I think his agent will get in the way because clearly Iupati wants to play here and is close with Boone, Staley and Davis. So anyways, back to Kap I'm not sure 5 years 50 million is his value right now. If he can do really well the rest of this year and next I'd max out at 80-85 and pushing it. Don't see it being over 90 much less 100 million if it's a 5 year deal. We will see how the rest of the year goes but looks like we saved some money with Aldon, Kap, Culliver (injury), Hunter (injury/not getting many carries/ineffective for most part), Iupati (banged up/play) and Crabtree maybe (injury).
The answer to the OP's question is not yet.
Not at this time. Good thing for SF is, they can play him all the way through 2014 before determining his worth and taking action. The audition is on...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Not at this time. Good thing for SF is, they can play him all the way through 2014 before determining his worth and taking action. The audition is on...

That's right, he's locked up through '14. Give's team more time to evaluate.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

That's right, he's locked up through '14. Give's team more time to evaluate.

Yeah, Kaep is/has likely made lots of endorsement money... so he shouldn't be disgruntled about finishing out his current contract.
A qb that expensive has to be able to make the receivers look good. not vice versa
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
A qb that expensive has to be able to make the receivers look good. not vice versa
+1
  • Chico
  • Veteran
I wonder what happened to him? When he started last year, he never hesitated. He saw the open receiver whether it was the 1st, 2nd or 3rd option and pulled the trigger. This year he is looking like Alex Smith and holding on to the ball longer & taking the sack. It's such a boring offense!

I say sign him now to a long term contract and get him cheap!
Originally posted by Chico:
I wonder what happened to him? When he started last year, he never hesitated. He saw the open receiver whether it was the 1st, 2nd or 3rd option and pulled the trigger. This year he is looking like Alex Smith and holding on to the ball longer & taking the sack. It's such a boring offense!

I say sign him now to a long term contract and get him cheap!

Seems like the backup QB with limited film on him frequently shines at first. Then, defenses figure things out, and cut down on the QB successes once had. I am sure we can all see that defenses are doing a better job of minimizing Kaep's damage on broken plays and the QB run yds gained. There's also a big stress jump from being the hungry backup looking to make his mark VS being the only hope and expected savior of the franchise.

The game vs NOLA won't be the end-all either way... bit oh, what a big test for the young QB. Needs to dig deep and show us the poise and sharp decision-making in a hostile environment.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Personally, I would value him at 8 million a year, aka Alex Smith money. He needs a solid team around him to win. If he wants more than that, he needs to prove he deserves more on the field.

The timing of this question could have been better. A lot better
No! Most definitely not at this time.

BUT he has the potential to be one.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Net 40 yards passing a game. That's like 10 yards a quarter. He's awesome man. Lets give him $200 million..... ......
Is that the worst performance by any QB playing a full game this year? I can't find a list for the worst passing games this year. People saying $11 mil isn't enough? Right now he isn't even worth Alex Smith money. He has had 4 games this year where he completed less than 50% of his passes. He is not coping with defensive adjustments plain and simple. I think the D-coordinators of this league have figured him out, he is a major question mark.
Originally posted by BobS:
Is that the worst performance by any QB playing a full game this year? I can't find a list for the worst passing games this year. People saying $11 mil isn't enough? Right now he isn't even worth Alex Smith money. He has had 4 games this year where he completed less than 50% of his passes. He is not coping with defensive adjustments plain and simple. I think the D-coordinators of this league have figured him out, he is a major question mark.

I agree. And yes I believe that was the worst performance by a qb this season. Its the worst performance by a 49ers qb since Alex Smiths first start. Remember how bad that team was. Alex should never have even been playing that year. No excuses. Kaepernick played like garbage and must get better. I don't care if he's snapping the ball to himself with zero protection I expect him to do better than that. 100 million dollars??? Playing like he is now he shouldn't make that in a dozen lifetimes.
[ Edited by NinerG94 on Nov 13, 2013 at 8:21 AM ]
one read wonder , he needs to trust his WR 's and we need a better OC
Share 49ersWebzone