There are 182 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

size and speed to the offense

no matter what people think about kaep or our previous qb smith , they both same had problem they have only one go to v davis , as a niner fan i put this past failure on baalke , for the past 3 seasons season no size or speed at the wideout , and every other prospect people on the zone b***h about , keenan allen is a perfect example but you trade up for mcdonald when you could have gotten reed in the 3rd , until baalke realizes we need speed and size we all dwell and should have and could have
[ Edited by 15crabtree on Nov 12, 2013 at 7:50 PM ]
Originally posted by 15crabtree:
no matter what people think about kaep or our previous qb smith , they both same had problem they have only one go to v davis , as a niner fan i put this past failure on baalke , for the past 3 seasons season no size or speed at the wideout , and every other prospect people on the zone b***h about , keenan allen is a perfect example but you trade up for mcdonald when you could have gotten reed in the 3rd , until baalke realizes we need speed and size we all dwell and should have and could have

OK, I am down with that. But, we couldn't have waited till the 3rd to get Reid though.
Originally posted by Rascal:

OK, I am down with that. But, we couldn't have waited till the 3rd to get Reid though.

I think he's talking about Jordan Reed.
Ehh!!

Size at WR is overrated, speed on the other hand, that part I agree with. Part of the problem is that they keep looking to take shots downfield but they have possibly the slowest group of WR's in the NFL right now. More than anything else, I definitely hope they add some more speed to the offense, particularly at WR, that has been an issue for a long time and if they want the offense to open up things for the running game by utilizing deep strikes off of playaction, they need viable threats that can stretch the field.

get him baalke
[ Edited by Eastcoastniner on Nov 13, 2013 at 3:33 AM ]
  • Chico
  • Veteran
We have all the weapons necessary to get to the SB. We are being out coached.
Marqise Lee in the 1st, Brandin Cooks in the 2nd. Crabs and Lee outside; Cooks in the slot. Imagine the possibilities.
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Nov 13, 2013 at 7:17 AM ]
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:
Marqise Lee in the 1st, Brandin Cooks in the 2nd. Crabs and Lee outside; Cooks in the slot. Imagine the possibilities.

They seriously need to do something like this in the draft. They have a ton of picks in the draft move up and get Lee. And this offseason they need to stop being so cheap and scared and go out and get a legit FA WR not a 2nd tier WR like they been doing. I know it's not the Niner way to do that but seeing how HUGE of a problem this has been it should be done. Crabtree Boldin Lee and a top tier FA WR next season should go along way with fixing this issue. (I really hope they keeo Boldin)
Size used to be a staple of the WCO. Both Rice and Taylor were very big for WR's back in the day and their size allowed them to shield defenders, play through press coverage and certainly benefited them in blocking down field (for each other or the RB/TE's). Size helps...neither were fast by any means. Look at how poor Williams got blown up on the edges from the X or Z spots in the WR screen, rub routes or blocking on the edge for CK or Gore/Hunter. Baldwin, the very first thing I noticed was how willing he was in blocking down field and how effective he was...harder to get around (or even see) behind him. Obviously, you don't have to be huge these days with the NFL rules but it still helps a ton esp. if you can jump and high-point a ball. Look at all the better WR's and TE's now. B/c of the rules, they are setting records and having field days. Boldin is one of the slowest WR's in the NFL but has learned to use his big body and strength to excel. Obviously, the type of offense you play in is critical, proper coaching and development, technique, explosion off the LOS, etc. all play a big part. Steve Smith exploited us when the Panthers needed him most...made a career of being a small but fiesty, tough-nosed player. I think attitude plays a big part of it as well.

But for the type of offense we currently run, yes, the Crabtree's and Boldin's and Baldwin's will have success in our system. Since we don't throw deep bombs or post patterns or go's, having a speed guy (we just cut Moore/Ginn) won't do anything in reality. And with constant 2 TE-sets, that pretty much eliminates needing a shifty, quick, great-RAC slot WR as well.

Ideally, if we could find a big body that can use all his tools (apparently we tried to trade Baldwin before the deadline), loves to block the edge with attitude, can high point it AND has some top-end speed that defenses have to respect (like we did against Ginn/Panther WR's - playing way off), then we damn-well better pull the trigger! A dude like Jenkins will do nothing for this team...not even sure Patton will either unless you move him to the slot; Manningham as well (a play here and there on the outside but he should NOT be on the edges consistently helping to block in the run game)...slot, yes, ideal!
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 13, 2013 at 7:58 AM ]
Agree w/most.

But the draft is far away and we have to win now!

We got a BIG fast guy in Vance BUT he's rarely used as a receiver.

Our play calling is mediocre at best and that's against weak teams. Against winners - Seattle, Panthers, Colts it's a BIG time fail.

Slants, short & fast 3&4 yard passes, screens, would take stress off the running game and make it even better.

Also - get McDonald to the middle of the field and use him like Dallas uses Witten.

Oh - WTF! Waste of time. JH is also part of this problem - wayyyyyy too stubborn to change.
Vance McDonald was a terrible pick in the 2nd round. A wr was and (still is) a bigger need than a #2 TE. I have not been inpressed with any aspect of McDonalds game thus far. That long pass vs Carolina SHOULD have been caught 100%. I never thought i would say this, but i would rather have D. Walker back than this guy. He brings nothing to the table.

If we end up using all (most of) our draft picks this year on players i will lose my mind. We cant keep nor have the need for 10+ players. We need to move up to get KEY players at positions of need. These last 2 drafts have been terrible in terms of production on the field. Lots of injured players with large question marks. For a team trying to make the superbowl, we should be drafting less players in total for higher quality guys who can actually get on the field and make some plays.

END OF RANT.
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
Vance McDonald was a terrible pick in the 2nd round. A wr was and (still is) a bigger need than a #2 TE. I have not been inpressed with any aspect of McDonalds game thus far. That long pass vs Carolina SHOULD have been caught 100%. I never thought i would say this, but i would rather have D. Walker back than this guy. He brings nothing to the table.

If we end up using all (most of) our draft picks this year on players i will lose my mind. We cant keep nor have the need for 10+ players. We need to move up to get KEY players at positions of need. These last 2 drafts have been terrible in terms of production on the field. Lots of injured players with large question marks. For a team trying to make the superbowl, we should be drafting less players in total for higher quality guys who can actually get on the field and make some plays.

END OF RANT.

This this this.
Never liked this pick to begin with.

Should have resigned Delanie and drafted Keenan Allen and we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Originally posted by BigBug415:
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:

END OF RANT.

This this this.
Never liked this pick to begin with.

Should have resigned Delanie and drafted Keenan Allen and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Same here.

Never liked this pick, but everyone were raving about his size at 267 lbs. I thought he was slow and more importantly had huge concern on his hands.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Agree w/most.

But the draft is far away and we have to win now!

We got a BIG fast guy in Vance BUT he's rarely used as a receiver.

Our play calling is mediocre at best and that's against weak teams. Against winners - Seattle, Panthers, Colts it's a BIG time fail.

Slants, short & fast 3&4 yard passes, screens, would take stress off the running game and make it even better.

Also - get McDonald to the middle of the field and use him like Dallas uses Witten.

Oh - WTF! Waste of time. JH is also part of this problem - wayyyyyy too stubborn to change.

Harbaugh and co. apparently want to learn the hard way of what happens when they let their extreme stubbornness get in the way of team success and keeping up with the evolving modern nfl. To remain a winner and dominant in this league, you have to stay ahead of the pack and the coaches continue to take steps backwards. Disappointing.