There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why don't we use our offensive players to their strengths?

Originally posted by BigYellowKahuna:
Also if the WR struggle against press coverage why dont we put receivers in the bunch formation or in motion to help them get a better release off the LOS?

Because the offensive coaching staff is absolutely overrated beyond belief. This team continually has been carried by the defense and the running game, in terms of passing, this offense is doing worse in the 2 1/2 seasons with Harbaugh, Roman and Co. then they were in the preceeding 3 seasons. They don't know how to call a passing offense, which boggles my mind seeing Harbaugh's background as a QB but maybe he's just letting Roman run the show and not wanting to step on his toes, in anycase, this team won't have a reliably consistent and productive passing offense as long as Roman remains the OC, that much is clear, bring as many WR's as you want, bring in whatever QB you want, the uneven and flat-out abysmal playcalling well sabotage them.

As much as the defensive staff has done a stellar job and coaching from guys like Tomsula is obviously paying dividends, there's been a huge void from the offensive staff. Where is the major improvement in the OL, they're getting jacked up like always, where is the improvement? Why is it that Ted Ginn can have almost 400 yards of receiving with the Panthers in 9 games but couldn't equal that amount in over 20 games with the 49ers? Where is the improvement in the receivers? Kyle Williams is playing like the same guy I saw in college with no real changes to his game.

Its amazing how much stuff people overlook in their rush to blame the personnel when the coaching staff, at least on the offensive side, has seemingly done a shoddy job.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Also if the WR struggle against press coverage why dont we put receivers in the bunch formation or in motion to help them get a better release off the LOS?

Because the offensive coaching staff is absolutely overrated beyond belief. This team continually has been carried by the defense and the running game, in terms of passing, this offense is doing worse in the 2 1/2 seasons with Harbaugh, Roman and Co. then they were in the preceeding 3 seasons. They don't know how to call a passing offense, which boggles my mind seeing Harbaugh's background as a QB but maybe he's just letting Roman run the show and not wanting to step on his toes, in anycase, this team won't have a reliably consistent and productive passing offense as long as Roman remains the OC, that much is clear, bring as many WR's as you want, bring in whatever QB you want, the uneven and flat-out abysmal playcalling well sabotage them.

As much as the defensive staff has done a stellar job and coaching from guys like Tomsula is obviously paying dividends, there's been a huge void from the offensive staff. Where is the major improvement in the OL, they're getting jacked up like always, where is the improvement? Why is it that Ted Ginn can have almost 400 yards of receiving with the Panthers in 9 games but couldn't equal that amount in over 20 games with the 49ers? Where is the improvement in the receivers? Kyle Williams is playing like the same guy I saw in college with no real changes to his game.

Its amazing how much stuff people overlook in their rush to blame the personnel when the coaching staff, at least on the offensive side, has seemingly done a shoddy job.

Just curious, do you still hate KW? Or are you now starting to feel that maybe its not all on him?
This post says it all!

As much as I b***h about Kap and the receivers the bottom line is the coaching staff is continually putting these guys in a position to fail!

Look at some of the body language of the offensive players. It's like they know the s**tty plan sucks and is destined to fail and are waiting for things to go bad. Man, Harbaugh and Co. are becoming one of the most overrated staffs in the NFL. Like others have said, there is no plan B, there are no adjustments.

We just continue to shoot ourselves in the foot and doing it our way, because you know, nobody is gonna dictate how we play our football!!!

The most asinine s**t over and over and over. Something works, and you COMPLETELY go away from it! Gore is gashing them, lets stop. Quick slant works, lets never run it again. The either massive ego or just plain stupidity of the staff is undermining the players and its really starting to piss me off.
Originally posted by rondoman:
This post says it all!

As much as I b***h about Kap and the receivers the bottom line is the coaching staff is continually putting these guys in a position to fail!

Look at some of the body language of the offensive players. It's like they know the s**tty plan sucks and is destined to fail and are waiting for things to go bad. Man, Harbaugh and Co. are becoming one of the most overrated staffs in the NFL. Like others have said, there is no plan B, there are no adjustments.

We just continue to shoot ourselves in the foot and doing it our way, because you know, nobody is gonna dictate how we play our football!!!

The most asinine s**t over and over and over. Something works, and you COMPLETELY go away from it! Gore is gashing them, lets stop. Quick slant works, lets never run it again. The either massive ego or just plain stupidity of the staff is undermining the players and its really starting to piss me off.

On defense they deserve all the accolades they get.....on offense, meh......they were handed a great running back and and OL built to run the football, it was expected that they'd be able to run the ball, as far as the passing offense goes, since 2011, its been ranked lower than during the Jimmy Raye, Hostler, Martz era when they were changing out OC's annually.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Just curious, do you still hate KW? Or are you now starting to feel that maybe its not all on him?

No, he still sucks . I will say that while he's the one guy they've given an extended amount of plays too, they kept playing him on the outside which is absolutely not his strong suit or close. I don't think he's a great slot receiver, but that certainly is the best place for him. Just another case of this coaching staff trying to figure a square peg into a round hole.
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for jonesadrian.
you mean to tell me lmj couldn't have just run that play miami did? smh
Originally posted by jonesadrian:

Not with this coaching staff.

I would be willing to bet that this was a huge reason for Peyton choosing Denver over the Niners. Peyton likes control over his offense and this staff was not going to give that to him.

I love Jim Harbaugh but if he does not fix this it could really affect his future in SF. Jed has already shown that he is not afraid to make changes and the last thing I want to see is Harbaugh run out of town. He is the best coach for this team but he needs to realize that this offense is not the best for this team.
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Nov 11, 2013 at 7:59 PM ]
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

No, he still sucks . I will say that while he's the one guy they've given an extended amount of plays too, they kept playing him on the outside which is absolutely not his strong suit or close. I don't think he's a great slot receiver, but that certainly is the best place for him. Just another case of this coaching staff trying to figure a square peg into a round hole.

He is a guy you definitely need to get into space. Situation player, but i still think if he was used right he would be good for about 2-3 designed plays a game that would be beneficial to the offense, coming off the bench.

If you guys are referring to the play Marshall just scored on, we've actually attempted that play a couple times with KW. Problem is it has failed each time because KW does not catch the ball with a running start. He alligator arms it and fails to catch the ball even when there is no one around. It's pathetic.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

If you guys are referring to the play Marshall just scored on, we've actually attempted that play a couple times with KW. Problem is it has failed each time because KW does not catch the ball with a running start. He alligator arms it and fails to catch the ball even when there is no one around. It's pathetic.

This is why I'm frustrated. Kyle Williams has literally done nothing to help this team this year and barely anything the previous two years. Why not get a guy like LMJ those types of plays? He's got more burst and shiftiness to make those plays happen. Could the result be any worse than with Williams? What are they afraid of?

It is also why I am glad to have Manningham back. We will see if they make proper use of him. I also hope that QP comes back because he has shown that he does have that burst. Those two guys could make those short plays work.
they depend too much on davis and boldin...too scared to develop the young guys and too afraid to throw a ball if player not open by 5 yards....pussies i say
Originally posted by SofaKing:

the fact that we try it with kyle williams is the entire problem,

he has proven time and time again he cannot catch a pass that isn't thrown right to him on a deep route. anything else it's going right through his hands.

never have miller split out wide again when you have james active.

things that just should be common sense.
Originally posted by ninerfreak:
they depend too much on davis and boldin...too scared to develop the young guys and too afraid to throw a ball if player not open by 5 yards....pussies i say

not they, roman.

this is how it is working.

we only have boldin and davis as perceived threats. defenses key on them
genius has made it his mission to find a way to still get them the ball though the defense is keyed in on them. this is the challenge he has made for himself this is what he wants to do so that he can puff his chest out and say they tried to stop our primary weapons but i still got it to them. this has been the case every game this year. we have no idea how capable anyone else is because they do not get a chance unless they're name is kyle williams who obviously has a jim harbaugh sextape somewhere in his possession.

we have dynamic players and we have big players. we could use boldin manningham and baldwin as the wr's right now and kill teams. use gore as power james and hunter as edge and screen and split out. use macdonald on play action and red zone and use vernon to go deep. you cannot prepare for an offense that can do all of that. cannot prepare every week for every style of offense. power running quick passes screens play action and deep throws? no defense is equipped to handle that because its pick your poison. you key in the wr's we run you to death. you blitz we screen and quick pass. you sit back in zone we eat that up with intermediate routes you play soft coverage we line up and smash you with the running game and when the play breaks down the qb scrambles for 10 yards and gets down or out of bounds.

why isn't our offense like that?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I've come to the realization that our coaches are just plain good, but not great (not yet). When they have the (healthy) horses, they know what to do... when we get depleted, they aren't very creative or really any good against good teams.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home