There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why don't we use our offensive players to their strengths?

if receiver struggle to get open, crossing patterns and pick plays can help free them up--dont see niers running much of these
Originally posted by hofer36:
if receiver struggle to get open, crossing patterns and pick plays can help free them up--dont see niers running much of these

This. It's quite obvious that the Niners need to draft some speed at WR next year. I like Patton and I think he's able to get quick separation. Crabtree does a decent job getting open quickly but we need help.

Didn't the 49ers get called for interference yesterday trying to run a pic play? Clearly our WR's are struggling but I question whether or not Kap's struggles are compounding the situation.
Originally posted by pete98146:
This. It's quite obvious that the Niners need to draft some speed at WR next year. I like Patton and I think he's able to get quick separation. Crabtree does a decent job getting open quickly but we need help.

If Crab comes back and dominate and Kaep goes back to his old form due to Crab, will the 49ers be at the mercy of Crab and his agent?
With crab still out and Mario barely coming back, Vernon going out really hurt our chances. We had no one to keep linebackers and the secondary honest. Still some bad game-planning, though.
Originally posted by NinerG94:

Didn't the 49ers get called for interference yesterday trying to run a pic play? Clearly our WR's are struggling but I question whether or not Kap's struggles are compounding the situation.

no Boldin got called for a PI on that pass that is like a run... quick throw, with the WRs blocking their man... and I guess Boldin blocked his man too early before the ball got to the receiver's hands.
Does Greg Roman know what a screen pass is?

Has Greg Roman been secretly hanging out with Jimmy Raye?

Does Jimmy Raye know what a screen pass is?

Is Jimmy Raye sneaking into the booth and calling play?

Does Roman s**t his pants when we face a good defense?
our offensive players have no strengths lol
It is frustrating as all hell to watch this offense. We show no signs of creativity or consistency. No screens, no slants, no drags, no swing passes, no sweeps, no picks ... Our passing game is pathetic and there is plenty of blame to go around. The entire season I've been thinking "what are you waiting for? Open the damn playbook!" and it's the same b.s. every game. Either the coaches don't know what they're doing or they know all too well that the QB they hand picked to lead a SB-contending team is not capable of making a play when the first option is covered.

Also if the WR struggle against press coverage why dont we put receivers in the bunch formation or in motion to help them get a better release off the LOS?
[ Edited by BigYellowKahuna on Nov 11, 2013 at 3:04 PM ]
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

Greg Roman ... the other guy
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Why is LMJ a healthy scratch for 1/2 a season?

Why isn't he used in a Darren Sproles type way?

THIS TIMES INFINITY!!!!

LET THE MAN RUN IN SPACE

WHERE'S THE SCREEN PASSES?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I think you're making a great point here .... I usually don't agree with Kawakami but ...

I am not going to go along 100% with Trent Dilfer's declaration last night that Kaepernick is essentially a one-read QB and if you take away his first read, he becomes "remedial" as a passer.

(No shock I don't buy into everything Dilfer says. I didn't when he was the 49ers' very chatty back-up to Alex Smith, I didn't when he has gushed about Kaepernick, and I don't now. Dilfer makes good points, but he makes a ton of them, and they go all over the place, all the time.)

Dilfer said it on ESPN, and 49ers fans are repeating it everywhere: Kaepernick is a "one-read QB" and somehow that is supposed to explain everything.

Dilfer knows this stuff; I'm not going to say his evaluation is all wrong.

Sometimes yes, it does look like Kaepernick is most comfortable in the Read Option, when the scheme itself limits what he has to think about and limits what the defense can do against him.

But I don't think that's the whole story here. What can Kaepernick do if his first, second and third options are all covered, all the time?

Even if he isn't getting through them like Joe Montana, I'm not sure it would matter with this set of receivers.

For one, the 49ers aren't running a lot of Read Option this season, which makes him more of a normal NFL QB, allows defenses to throw more complicated schemes at him, and though the 49ers offense has done some explosive things this season, it has bogged down, too–against Seattle, Indianapolis and most egregiously against Carolina.

My point is that I watched the 49ers receivers very carefully in the second half, especially when Kaepernick was pressured and had to move (and didn't have his first option open)… and I didn't see ANY receivers breaking open.

This has to partly be Greg Roman and Jim Harbaugh's fault for not putting the receivers into places where they could adjust and get to a spot Kaepernick could find them; it had to partly be Kaepernick's fault for not throwing them open.

Kaepernick just never really does the "throw the receiver open" thing that Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and Andrew Luck specialize at; it's a tricky very, very advanced thing to throw a pass before your guy breaks open, trusting that 1) he will get to that spot right when the ball arrives and 2) the DB won't get there first.

Kaepernick likes to see the WR open before he fires, and he usually throws it so hard it doesn't mess up any timing even if he waits.

And Kaepernick isn't very fluid as he goes through his reads. In the past, he has been able to take a quick look, then either rifle a pass or take off… and this year, the taking off part really hasn't been there except for a few games.

I've written that I believe he had a foot injury suffered in Week 1 and then eventually recovered from it recently. Did he get it hurt again? Is he hurt in some other way?

But mostly, I think this is a problem with the 49ers' receiving corps–and yes, we have been at this spot before, with Alex Smith in the playoffs and the loss to the Giants.

Without Michael Crabtree… and then without Vernon Davis in the second half… and with Mario Manningham just getting back in… and with Anquan Boldin not exactly a speed-burner, especially late in a route… and Kyle Williams out there for a few snaps who knows why… and Jonathan Baldwin doing nothing in his few snaps…

There was not a lot of separation out there, whether Kaepernick was on his first read, second read or 10th read.

And when he threw a deep one to back-up TE Vance McDonald down the middle… McDonald couldn't hold onto the ball. That was a play that could've turned the game, right there, and Kaepernick did his part.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2013/11/11/49ers-day-after-kaepernicks-remedial-grade-the-wrs-responsibility-offensive-low-points-and-more/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kawakami-merc+%28Talking+Points+with+Tim+Kawakami%29

A point I've made repeatedly, when you watch Seattle, when Wilson scrambles, you see the WR's immediately break off their routes and work to get open for him, you rarely see that with the 49ers and I don't know if its the coaching or the scheme but it simply doesn't happen the way it should.

Agree. We must not teach or work this at all. Drives me crazy watching other teams with scrubs who haven't played or just signed off practice squads making plays while our guys don't do anything at all.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Agree. We must not teach or work this at all. Drives me crazy watching other teams with scrubs who haven't played or just signed off practice squads making plays while our guys don't do anything at all.

To be fair, the guys we have are great at watching the offense struggle from the sidelines.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

All...day.