There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 10: Thoughts after rewatching the game

Originally posted by sking20854:
It was there before he edited the post.

I"m just blind then...
Originally posted by Marvin49:
11) Our new playoff reality: Is the division completely out of reach? No. Do the 49ers need to proceed as if it is? Yes. Seattle is no longer the team to have our sites on. We need to be looking at the NFC South. We need to be looking at the NFC North. We could now be competing with the Saints, Panthers, Bears, and Lions for those 2 Wild-Card spots. Losing to the Panthers hurts because that could be a tie-breaker late in the year. This season tho is far from over. As bad as this looked, the Niners are still 6-3 with only 2 "difficult" games left on their schedule. They are still getting some guys back here in fairly short order. The season is not lost.

That is what bothers me the most about yesterday. We were at home coming off a bye with everyone relatively healthy. Now who knows.

Good stuff as always Marvin. Look forward to your perspective every week.
Russ Wilson throws a lot of 50/50 balls. Gotta give the WRs a chance to make a play. Take a shot with 1 on 1 coverage
Originally posted by Marvin49:
oops...typo. fixed

I was like.....

Originally posted by Squidp:
Russ Wilson throws a lot of 50/50 balls. Gotta give the WRs a chance to make a play. Take a shot with 1 on 1 coverage

I've been saying that all year. There is no accuracy there just a lob. The receivers are not open. I want Kaep to do the same thing.
Really good write up, but I wont even blame the line half as much as you did. In my opinion, not only has Kaepernick been unable to get the ball to any of his receivers, but he is literally hearing footsteps no matter what. Whether there is a guy chasing him or not, #7 always seems to take his eyes off the field and start scrambling East and West. His best passes and scrambles have always been after he steps up into the pocket, scans the field, makes a decision and just GOES for it. This year, I am not seeing that. This year I am seeing him dropping back, looking at Boldin (who is usually covered), then he starts looking at the D-lineman and starts scrambling to his left or right. While we know his speed is amongst the NFL elite, I know for a fact that he is running into at least 40% of his sacks, if not more. He needs to slow the game down, simplify his thought process and play some football because he is looking like Michael Vick did when he began struggling.

I still believe in him, I gave friggin ALEX SMITH a chance after all those years and he came through for us. Only difference with them is that Kaep is insanely talented and was overly marketed after his breakout season, but it's time for him to realize that he needs to start stepping up his game. I think the first step is slowing his thought process.
I'm about as big of a Kap supporter as there is. I've watched this kid since his high school days, as my brother-in-law played against him. I followed him at Nevada and I was ecstatic when we drafted him.

That being said, the guy played a horrible game yesterday. It was ridiculously bad and hard to watch. If Vernon is out, we're screwed. Boldin gets shut down and Kap cannot find anyone else. It's pathetic.

However, the guy is a gifted athlete and I have no doubts he will rebound when he gets his boy Crabs back. It's funny how teams knew he would be looking for Crabtree last year and still couldn't do anything about it. This year they know he'll be looking for Boldin, but the difference is teams are able to stop it. I like Boldin, but I said from the beginning that he is a past-his-prime, slower and older version of Crabtree.

Anyway, I strongly believe if Vance McDonald catches that long bomb that Kap placed PERFECTLY, we win that game. That doesn't excuse the rest of Kap's poor play, but it might give you a little insight on why he doesn't trust any receivers besides Boldin and VD (outside of Crabs, if course).
Marvin... you always seem to do this and I believe we have gone back and forth on this before.

but what are your opinions on Roman? What makes you believe in him so much? Are there a series of games that he showed you were he was consistent with his play calling? And when that was the case and defenses adjusted, did he?

what do you think of his adjustments as the game went on?

during the game I pointed out that Roman seemed to not have a backup plan when Vernon went down...or was stubborn. And apparently he did have a backup plan. Adam Snyder at TE. NO DEFENSE WILL TAKE THAT SERIOUS...it would make it THAT much harder for our offense to work, when the defense has one less player legitimately worry about.

Does Roman NOT have other plays that look similar to our 2TE passing plays? Or do we NOT have enough plays to call that don't ask for 2 TEs on the field?

That apparently was the case because when we were backed up against our goal line, Roman called the exact same play he has been calling for a while now...PA roll out looking for Miller to be open in the flats...Panthers were all over that. Sure you don't want to get all fancy that backup in your endzone...but I would also hope you would not call a play that is easy recognizable for a defense that has been studying for the pass week.

Roman just seems like he undermines opposing defenses....like he is smarter than them. *The defense is too stupid to realize that Snyder is NOT actually a receiving threat..giggle giggle giggle.*
The absolute number one thing we are lacking is a NUMBER 1 Wideout. Boldin is complementary and with someone on the other side able to draw some of double coverage would be a beast of a number 2.

This season is far from over... and I completely agree with taking our sights off of the seahawks and looking for that team that might be who we will face come Wild Card weekend.

As always... I look forward to your write up even after a loss Marv... helps put a lot things into perspective.
Why don't these coaches just plug in the Falcons game from the title game and install that offense? It was mostly shotgun style (Kaps biggest strength formation) and spread out the defenses and use Gore as a gasher and mix in some playaction?? This way defenses have to be honest on Boldin and if not, then let Gore and Kap carvem up with their legs?
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Marvin... you always seem to do this and I believe we have gone back and forth on this before.

but what are your opinions on Roman? What makes you believe in him so much? Are there a series of games that he showed you were he was consistent with his play calling? And when that was the case and defenses adjusted, did he?

what do you think of his adjustments as the game went on?

during the game I pointed out that Roman seemed to not have a backup plan when Vernon went down...or was stubborn. And apparently he did have a backup plan. Adam Snyder at TE. NO DEFENSE WILL TAKE THAT SERIOUS...it would make it THAT much harder for our offense to work, when the defense has one less player legitimately worry about.

Does Roman NOT have other plays that look similar to our 2TE passing plays? Or do we NOT have enough plays to call that don't ask for 2 TEs on the field?

That apparently was the case because when we were backed up against our goal line, Roman called the exact same play he has been calling for a while now...PA roll out looking for Miller to be open in the flats...Panthers were all over that. Sure you don't want to get all fancy that backup in your endzone...but I would also hope you would not call a play that is easy recognizable for a defense that has been studying for the pass week.

Roman just seems like he undermines opposing defenses....like he is smarter than them. *The defense is too stupid to realize that Snyder is NOT actually a receiving threat..giggle giggle giggle.*

I think Roman made mistakes yesterday, but I'm not willing to put it all in his lap.

Snyder played TE because none of the 49er receivers was going to be able to BLOCK like a TE. It wasn't about selling Snyder as a receiver...it was about selling the entire formation. It was about running the ball.

Not having a backup plan? Not sure how many backup plans you are gonna have for losing your best offensive pass catcher and 2 of your 3 TEs in an offense that plays 2 TEs most of the time.

I'm not saying Roman is blameless tho. I think my point is that everyone want to pint to one thing and say THAT is the problem. I think it's a lot more complicated than that. I think its Roman, Kap and lack of receivers. They all have a part in this. Its not anyones fault entirely and nobody is blameless.
This lost is on Harbaugh and the offensive coaches. They had two full weeks to come out with this baloney gameplan? I was excited for two weeks for this bullshiet.

Great post as always tho..
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Why don't these coaches just plug in the Falcons game from the title game and install that offense? It was mostly shotgun style (Kaps biggest strength formation) and spread out the defenses and use Gore as a gasher and mix in some playaction?? This way defenses have to be honest on Boldin and if not, then let Gore and Kap carvem up with their legs?

Seriously?

Why?

Crabtree. Moss. Vernon. Delanie.

Three of those guys didn't wear red and gold yesterday and the last was out in the second quarter.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
This lost is on Harbaugh and the offensive coaches. They had two full weeks to come out with this baloney gameplan? I was excited for two weeks for this bullshiet.

Great post as always tho..

I know how you feel. I couldn't wait for Sunday
  • NP9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Empire49:
I'm about as big of a Kap supporter as there is. I've watched this kid since his high school days, as my brother-in-law played against him. I followed him at Nevada and I was ecstatic when we drafted him.

That being said, the guy played a horrible game yesterday. It was ridiculously bad and hard to watch. If Vernon is out, we're screwed. Boldin gets shut down and Kap cannot find anyone else. It's pathetic.

However, the guy is a gifted athlete and I have no doubts he will rebound when he gets his boy Crabs back. It's funny how teams knew he would be looking for Crabtree last year and still couldn't do anything about it. This year they know he'll be looking for Boldin, but the difference is teams are able to stop it. I like Boldin, but I said from the beginning that he is a past-his-prime, slower and older version of Crabtree.

Anyway, I strongly believe if Vance McDonald catches that long bomb that Kap placed PERFECTLY, we win that game. That doesn't excuse the rest of Kap's poor play, but it might give you a little insight on why he doesn't trust any receivers besides Boldin and VD (outside of Crabs, if course).

Absolutely a valid point in regards to Kap's WR trust issue. Only problem is that in this league players do get hurt, and the QB needs to elevate the performance level of those around him. At this point in his development Kap's not quite there yet. He has loads of talent, but needs to continue refining that talent so that the team doesn't look completely out of wack when one or two regulars go down. This responsibility falls with both player and coaches. Dude should be fine, but only time, (and results), will tell if he is truly going to become one of the elite QB's in NFL. And yes, McDonald should have caught that ball. Team...the Team...the Team!!!!