LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Solution to the WR problem

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Chico:
lol, children, children...grow up now or go to your room!!!

Anyway, we don't need Jerry Rice & we don't need extra help at the WR position. Boldin is a 10 year vet and knows what he's doing. Crabby Patty is coming back soon and Manningham is a stud (watch his SB catch again). We have stud receivers, we have a stud QB, O-line, RB, etc.

We just got our a$$es handed to us. We played the 2nd best defense in the league that looks strong, powerful & HUNGRY! Our team looked flat after the bye week and that is it! case closed, you may now close this thread! lol

lolz. yeah, teams sometimes just have a really bad weekend of football. They could bounce back in spectacular fashion or eat more arse next week. The sky is not falling... but it is dark and ugly right now.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by Buchy:
There's nothing legit or adult about your passive-aggressive, thinly veiled sniping. You know what you're doing and what you're trying to insinuate in your posts.

You'll note though that I have provided examples of Kap making multiple reads in my edited post... I'll leave it at that.

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
There's nothing legit or adult about your passive-aggressive, thinly veiled sniping. You know what you're doing and what you're trying to insinuate in your posts.

You'll note though that I have provided examples of Kap making multiple reads in my edited post... I'll leave it at that.

May be Buchy can help me understand this play here. So, if the scheme is to throw to just 1 WR, does that mean even when Patton was open as in this case for example Kap should still ignore him even when he was the easiest target ?
There is much more than one problem here.

Our pass protection sucked!

Our play calling is an Epic Fail!

IMO, Crabs return is over-rated. He isn't going to come in and save the day. That's wishful thinking [I'm wishing too BUT...].

Let's face it, our coaches have to see what we're seeing. The solution will be up to them.

is this the play that he went to VD in the left corner Please tell this isn't....
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 11, 2013 at 7:45 AM ]
So far....

(only plan to remark on pass plays)

possession 1 -

1. run stuffed
2. 4 legit receiving options spotted, PA complete to FB
3. run, great patience and gain Gore
4. 3 obvious receiving targets, near INt on crap throw
5. QB adjusts, runs out of playclock.. timeout for SF
6. great run design and gain by Gore
7. run for minimal
8. 4 receiving targets, short pass to Q
9. run stuffed on a QB read option

FG

possession 2 -

1. run stuffed
2. 4 receiving options, completes to Rio for 9
3. predictable run is stuffed

PUNT

possession 3 -

1. PA, 3 receiving options.. QB freezes, overlooks open FB valve.. eats sack
2. run for 4-5
3. 5 clear receiving options... QB runs instead of throwing to 2 open targets... doesn't get enough for the first

PUNT
49ers recover to regain possession!

1. 5 receiving targets, nice checkdown to Gore over middle for 10.

End of 1st Q - ZERO designed plays where only 1-2 targets are legit pass options.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

is this the play that he went to VD in the left corner Please tell this isn't....

The one where he threw a pick? No. On this play I think he rushed for a little and then was tackled.

I don't know what this proves either, he didn't go back to that side of the field and that sucks because the guy was wide open but I seriously doubt he saw Patton then said screw it, going to follow through with the plan. More to the point every QB has these plays, I'm not sure why Kap is singled out as proof that he is one read. They had a play by Luck last week where he was looking in the same direction as the open guy and still threw it to a covered receiver.
  • Jiks

Nope this is just an example of him not using the pocket that is presented and scrambling too early. I pointed this out week 2 and it still persist. I try to stay away from bashing Kaep. but I feel this isn't bashing him, it's pointing out something that I have seen since last year thus why i made this week 2. Was going to do the same for other games but it is time consuming. Also goes along the lines of missing open reads. He rolled out when there was a pocket to use for a little more time and Gore fell down. He didn't even look at the open guys because he leaves the pocket too early and plays can't develop.

When he uses the pocket and don't get happy feet he is pretty damn good. When he get's rattled he doesn't offer a whole lot at this early time in his career.

Next frame
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Nov 11, 2013 at 7:56 AM ]

Nope this is just an example of him not using the pocket that is presented and scrambling too early. I pointed this out week 2 and it still persist. I try to stay away from bashing Kaep. but I feel this isn't bashing him, it's pointing out something that I have seen since last year thus why i made this week 2. Was going to do the same for other games but it is time consuming. Also goes along the lines of missing open reads. He rolled out when there was a pocket to use for a little more time and Gore fell down. He didn't even look at the open guys because he leaves the pocket too early and plays can't develop.

When he uses the pocket and don't get happy feet he is pretty damn good. When he get's rattled he doesn't offer a whole lot at this early time in his career.

Yeah, it's what I noticed the difference in Newton's game yesterday, compared to his previous years. Newton stood tall in the pocket a few times when s**t was happening around him. Found the open receiver but his delivery was a bit off on some of them. It's still an improvement from Cam. I think Kaep has to improve on his pocket qb area like Cam.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 11, 2013 at 8:00 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 3,000 for Rascal.

Next frame

So, are you saying Buchy's theory of us only scheming to throw to 1 single WR is not valid then ? Cos I really don't quite understand the rationale of just scheming to throw to 1 WR when other WRs are wide open.

People that are saying that the majority of our passing plays are just one read options are making excuses for Kap. You do not call the majority of your passing plays with just one option for the quarterback.

Some of our plays are designed with one or two options (like play action roll outs with a fullback to the flat and a receiver running a deep corner), but these are few and far between. You're really telling me that Harbaugh and Roman designed most of our passing game that only consist of one or two options, with the rest of the receivers simply being decoys? LOL, no.

Now they very well may be coaching Kap up and simplifying things by telling him to just go through reads one and two, but that does not mean he is limited to those two options. So part of it falls on the coaching if that's how they're coaching him up, part of it falls on the s**t pass protection, but the rest falls on Kap. The plays aren't designed with just one guy running a route. How many times have we seen him scan the field this year? He simply is not going through his reads. He has tunnel vision.

And his pocket awareness and reading the defensive coverage and blitzes has been horrid.

He's also relying on his arm strength for everything. He hasn't been throwing guys open or hitting them with timing routes. He thinks he can wait for the receiver to get open because he has the strong arm. In the NFL you can't do that s**t, no matter how strong your arm is. You can't be throwing passes late so often. The dbs will recover. You must have the anticipation and timing with your receivers. And he's rarely thrown with any touch this season. He tries to fire in passes that should be throw with touch.

Kap has played s**tty this year, there is no denying. We expect much more from him and we deserve much more.
Originally posted by Rascal:

May be Buchy can help me understand this play here. So, if the scheme is to throw to just 1 WR, does that mean even when Patton was open as in this case for example Kap should still ignore him even when he was the easiest target ?

Tunnel vision.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
So far....

possession 1 -

1. run stuffed
7. run for minimal

FG

possession 2 -

1. run stuffed

PUNT

possession 3 -

2. run for 4-5
3. 5 clear receiving options... QB runs instead of throwing to 2 open targets... doesn't get enough for the first

PUNT

End of 1st Q - ZERO designed plays where only 1-2 targets are legit pass options.

continued from Q1 into Q2

2. run for minimal
3. 5 receiving options.. thrown to sideline INC
4. 4 receiving options... quick throw underneath INC

FG

possession 5 -

1. fake handoff bootleg, 4 receiving options.. QB could have zipped on to the underneath VD, but didn't let it go... and gets called on a facemask vs the LB
2. run stuffed
3. designed WR screen completed to Kyle on 3rd and 23 picks up 4 * first designed play where only 1 was the only target

PUNT - then INT for Brock!!!!

possession 6 -

1. delay run for 14 by Gore (Frank looks mad to now be on the sideline)
timeout SF
2. great cutback to gain 5 by Gore
3. PA rollout, 3 receivers available... INC to VD
4. run for Gore gets 4, but short of the first

FG

possession 7 -

1. 5 receiving options available... 8 yds to Q
2. 5 receiving options available... inc for Hunter
3. run for Hunter just converts
4. 4 targets available... QB freezes when he sees incoming S.. eats sack
5. 5 receiving options available... QB rolls right and out of bounds for a few
6. give-up run

end of 2nd Q - only ONE designed play the entire first half that has only ONE receiving target as viable in a pass play.
So far....

possession 1 -

1. run stuffed
7. run for minimal

FG

possession 2 -

1. run stuffed

PUNT

possession 3 -

2. run for 4-5

PUNT

continued from Q1 into Q2

2. run for minimal
3. 5 receiving options.. thrown to sideline INC
4. 4 receiving options... quick throw underneath INC

FG

possession 5 -

1. fake handoff bootleg, 4 receiving options.. QB could have zipped on to the underneath VD, but didn't let it go... and gets called on a facemask vs the LB
2. run stuffed
3. designed WR screen completed to Kyle on 3rd and 23 picks up 4 * first designed play where only 1 was the only target

PUNT - then INT for Brock!!!!

possession 6 -

1. delay run for 14 by Gore (Frank looks mad to now be on the sideline)
timeout SF
2. great cutback to gain 5 by Gore
3. PA rollout, 3 receivers available... INC to VD
4. run for Gore gets 4, but short of the first

FG

possession 7 -

1. 5 receiving options available... 8 yds to Q
2. 5 receiving options available... inc for Hunter
3. run for Hunter just converts
4. 4 targets available... QB freezes when he sees incoming S.. eats sack
5. 5 receiving options available... QB rolls right and out of bounds for a few
6. give-up run

end of 2nd Q - only ONE designed play the entire first half that has only ONE receiving target as viable in a pass play.

Just for clarification Mr. McGibblets what are you counting as receiving options? People who are actually running routes and open, or just how many players are on the line that could possibly catch a pass? Because some of these numbers seem kinda high 5 receiving options? Only 11 men on the field. So are you counting running backs/fullbacks as receiving options? I mean you're basically saying that there is no downfield blocking on those plays.
Originally posted by sking20854:
Just for clarification Mr. McGibblets what are you counting as receiving options? People who are actually running routes and open, or just how many players are on the line that could possibly catch a pass? Because some of these numbers seem kinda high 5 receiving options? Only 11 men on the field. So are you counting running backs/fullbacks as receiving options? I mean you're basically saying that there is no downfield blocking on those plays.

Targets that are running routes and are available for passes their way. Actual passing options for the QB that are not intent on keeping their backs to the QB to block.
Share 49ersWebzone