LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

Advice For The Defense Going In vs.The Saints

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
My advice for the defense is return any and every turnover for a touchdown because this offense cant score s**t.

Anyone have a stat on what percentage of our scoring has come off of turnovers this season? I do know 6 of 9 points came off turnovers against the panthers.

Here is the points off turnovers stats, followed by (NFL rank)

Takeaway points -- 82 (1st) (36 % of our points scored)

Giveaway points -- 37 (11th)

Net Turnover points -- 45 (4th)
[ Edited by SofaKing on Nov 12, 2013 at 11:04 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
My advice for the defense is return any and every turnover for a touchdown because this offense cant score s**t.

Anyone have a stat on what percentage of our scoring has come off of turnovers this season? I do know 6 of 9 points came off turnovers against the panthers.

Here is the points off turnovers stats, followed by (NFL rank)

Takeaway points -- 82 (1st) (36 % of our points scored)

Giveaway points -- 37 (11th)

Net Turnover points -- 45 (4th)

Sounds about right.
score as many touchdowns as possible because we know the offense can't.
[ Edited by Allx9er on Nov 12, 2013 at 11:17 PM ]
Rob Ryan will bring pressure from everywhere, the Saints D can be vulnerable. I watched the Cowboys-Saints game and the Saints D kept 2 defenders on Dez Bryant the entire game. They won't have to employ such a defense against the 49er receivers. Keep pressure on Brees and turn the game into a brawl. If the Saints get off fast can the 49er offense put the ball in the air with success? I hope that's a situation that doesn't materialize.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by zaghawk:
As a Hawk fan, I will be watching your game closely to see what the hell can be done to stop that Saints Offense.

How does it feel to have a midget as your quarterback? Lol.
Originally posted by NCommand:
How about not playing your CB's 20 yards off the LOB on 3rd and 10 and back-pedaling. Pathetic...it's a Fangio staple.

THIS

We can not allow Brees to get the ball out in 2 seconds... he will look to. Disrupt routes, and FFS, watch out fr the many creative screen passes that NOLA executes so well. Our D needs to treat Brees like P Manning... don't show him what you have planned pre-snap. The D must be very active pre-snap, and give different looks until the snap. On offense, we should look to quick-hit the A gaps, but also have some clever counter runs called to take advantage of their overpursuit. Keep the 7 step drops to a minimum... the pass rush will be coming in wide arcs outside, and they will be focused on containing Kaep to the inside.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
How about not playing your CB's 20 yards off the LOB on 3rd and 10 and back-pedaling. Pathetic...it's a Fangio staple.

THIS

We can not allow Brees to get the ball out in 2 seconds... he will look to. Disrupt routes, and FFS, watch out fr the many creative screen passes that NOLA executes so well. Our D needs to treat Brees like P Manning... don't show him what you have planned pre-snap. The D must be very active pre-snap, and give different looks until the snap. On offense, we should look to quick-hit the A gaps, but also have some clever counter runs called to take advantage of their overpursuit. Keep the 7 step drops to a minimum... the pass rush will be coming in wide arcs outside, and they will be focused on containing Kaep to the inside.

Now that is a game plan! You just about covered it all. Also, no injuries to CB's. We only have 5 total now.
Score points! Jump everything and take a ton of risks because our offense is pathetic right now. If the 49ers win this game it will because of the defense and running game. Must keep Brees off the field as much as possible. If it comes down to a shootout we're screwed. I have zero confidence in Kaepernick to lead a scoring drive if the running game becomes irrelevant. Going to be a rough game for all of us I'm afraid. Graham is going to rip us apart if he's healthy enough to play especially if Reid is out.
Now that is a game plan! You just about covered it all. Also, no injuries to CB's. We only have 5 total now.

I really wish we had a S that I felt comfortable with in man coverage.. coming up at the LOS when NOLA kicks an extra "WR" out wide.

Going to have to read up on Jimmy Graham. I know he's been playing hurt.. really hope that he is far from being above 75%. We are going to need our ILBs to play at their best next Sunday... Graham out there plus one of Sproles or Thomas setting up for screens are scary business!
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

I really wish we had a S that I felt comfortable with in man coverage.. coming up at the LOS when NOLA kicks an extra "WR" out wide.

Going to have to read up on Jimmy Graham. I know he's been playing hurt.. really hope that he is far from being above 75%. We are going to need our ILBs to play at their best next Sunday... Graham out there plus one of Sproles or Thomas setting up for screens are scary business!

If Reid can't play, I may instantly chalk this one up as a L. That said, I'm under the assumption Reid is going to be primarly lined up against Graham. I like that matchup. But if either Dahl or Whitner are on him, Brees won't even break a sweat this game...simple quick passes (alleviating the pass rush completely) right down the middle of the field. Bowman and Willis can typically assist underneath in coverage but usually won't last on intermediate-deeper routes and we're a sift in this facet in the RZ/EZ plays (although we've been better this year). And the truth is, we haven't really been tested deep much this year and "deep" is a specialty for NO. I feel solid with Brock back there but I expect mostly P.I.'s on Brown and Rogers. I wonder with all the 4-WR sets, if we'll see some Wright/Morris on the field this game. And you are right, with Willis/Bowman being preoccupied with Graham and the WR's, Sproles usually has some big catch-and-run plays on us right down the middle.

We will absolutely have to establish the run, exploit the short passing game and chew up the clock and dominate the TOP while also finishing those drivs with TD's. On defense, the middle blitz works well on Brees and let's face it, the spread they run is going to force man-coverage so you might as well bring the heat and force them to beat you rather than sit back and hope they don't hit you over the top. IF our CB's can play aggressive and physical up at the LOS, I think they can blow up the routes and buy enough time for the pass rush to get there and put some big hits on Brees; rattle him. Disguise drops and add some exotic alignments for confusion (remember the pick-6 by Brooks from the NT-spot/DL dropping back in the zone).

Take your vitamins - there will be lots of 3 & out.
have a safety knockout one of their running backs, go on to win the game
Contol the time of possession on offense, give Brees no time.

PERIOD
We WILL stop Drew Brees!
  • thl408
Aldon should line up as DT like he did several times versus CAR. Pressure up the middle to force Brees to side step around in the pocket so his feet aren't set to accurately throw downfield. Lemon-Justin-Aldon-Brooks as a pass rushing front 4. Rotate the DL a lot because pass rushing is tiring.
Share 49ersWebzone