There are 151 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

No need to panic: 49ers will be fine

Originally posted by Antix:
What is pretty funny to me is that, if you asked people after the Colts loss how they would feel about a 6-3 record everybody woulda jumped all over it. But now, we're not even going to make the playoffs.

This board get too high and too low. I mean, I guess that's why we're fans, but if you just use your brain a bit and stop being so emotional you'll realize it's not so bad.

No, you just need to learn to put things in perspective. The Colts are actually 1st in their division, unlike us. The top AFC teams are all beatable regardless of where the play, the Seahawks are unstoppable at home. The Colts fans also don't have the same expectations for their team as we do, which is reasonable since our team just threw away two opportunities to win a Super Bowl. So yea, we're more pissed about 6-3 than the Colts fans are. Get it?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
But they really didn't, Gore had 12 carries for 61 yards in the 1st half....in the 2nd half......4 carries total. They inexplicably got away from the run yet again.

Dude we got three and outed like every series and they started stuffing Gore in 1st down. They figured something out during halftime because it was like they knew where the strength was. They didn't just abandon the run when it was working.
Originally posted by matt49er:

Last season the team couldn't win more than 2 games in a row and we thought that was going to doom us. Come playoff time we came back against 2 good teams and went to the Super Bowl and within 5 yards of winning our 6th trophy. Do we have problems? Sure, every team does. Are we perfect? No, but we have 7 games left boys. The re-reinforcements Aldon, Mario, Wright, Tank just got here, Moody is on his way and after him Crabs will be back. I still believe we haven't played our best football yet, especially on offense. The NFL season is a long marathon, not a 40 yard dash. We're 2.5 games behind Seattle, we win week 12 that makes up the 1/2 game, we beat them at home that's another game, I refuse to believe Seattle won't lose one or two other games this season. We can still win this division and we are a Superbowl contender with one of the best rosters in football that is still not a full strength.

Have faith 49er fans!

Seattle at worst will go 13-3. The 49ers will not. It's wildcard or bust, and I wouldn't exactly be running out to bet the farm that they even get in with the #2 wildcard.
What is pretty funny to me is that, if you asked people after the Colts loss how they would feel about a 6-3 record everybody woulda jumped all over it. But now, we're not even going to make the playoffs.

This board get too high and too low. I mean, I guess that's why we're fans, but if you just use your brain a bit and stop being so emotional you'll realize it's not so bad.

I hear you Antix, but I'm less optimistic because I'm starting to see a pattern against better teams where we aren't head-and-shoulders more talented than the opposition. Until I see the offensive philosophy change, I think this team is in major trouble. Opponents will just play the same defensive template and we will continue to play the same offense, logic and adjustments be damned.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

People would've said yes please but they would've attached caveats to it such as but only if Seattle loses a few or as long as we show progress on offense or if we don't look incompetent any more.

Well today reminded everyone that none of those have happened. Seattle is 9-1 right now, we were 8-1 at this same point in 2011 and finished 13-3 with a trouncing from the ravens thrown in. We're not winning this division because Seattle's remaining schedule is pretty much what the last 5 weeks has been for us.

We haven't shown progress on offense because we went back to 2011 style of play with an insane amount of run game and game manager style QB play and in a defensive showdown like today got exposed that we have neither the progress or breadth of offensive power and an inability to make plays downfield. Which dovetails into the incompetence of our offensive scheme rearing its ugly head again.

I'm stoked to be 6-3 but on top of everything I just mentioned we just lost to the other team who was in the lead for the wildcard which means that barring an insane losing streak by Carolina and equally great finish by us we are fighting for the #6 seed right now. Something I've been realistic about for about 3 weeks because it's been obvious that Seattle has our division on lockdown.

This team will never win in the playoffs with a passing game like this, it is that simple. Don't you agree? 46 yards net for the GAME ... are you kidding me? The good QB's in this league rack this up on one drive. It is embarassingly pathetic.
The offensive game plan stunk and they didn't adjust either to a very good d line.
Wish I didnt have to worry but that's not the case. Our offense has looked great the past couple of weeks but that was against bad defenses. The panthers defense is a playoff caliber defense and could not score a TD. We had 2 weeks to prepare and that was the game plan they had!?!
A lot of football left
Originally posted by NinerGM:

I hear you Antix, but I'm less optimistic because I'm starting to see a pattern against better teams where we aren't head-and-shoulders more talented than the opposition. Until I see the offensive philosophy change, I think this team is in major trouble. Opponents will just play the same defensive template and we will continue to play the same offense, logic and adjustments be damned.

What adjustments have we seen them make, period? I agree, we've been figured out and we don't have the offensive intelligence to counter.
I love the perspective, but we simply weren't good enough today.

I'm not a fan of prognosticating, so let's see what happens next week.

I just hope we get hot when it matters.
They will only be fine if they can win the Super Bowl. Right now that isn't happening. Not with Kap playing potatoe.
Originally posted by
biggiep:
Let me give some more explanation as to where Kaepernick shoulders blame and maybe you can offer some Roman examples in return. Kaepernick has a really tough time handling blitzes, which has led to a lot of sacks busted pass plays. If you're getting blitzed, then you know there are guys out there in single coverage. At some point you need to make that quick throw once you hike the ball and catch the single defender off guard. At some point you need to trust Boldin or Manningham to nab that quick throw right before you get clobbered.

This is of course nonsense, Kaepernick's QB rating versus the blitz is around 110 this season. The bigger problem is that Carolina had a lot of free blitzes today, guys coming in like a freight train, unblocked, untouched....etc. There's nothing a QB can do about that when he's blindsided multiple times. There were no offensive adjustments made to account for the blitz, RB's moving out as checkdowns, screens, quick passes, etc. You can't have a QB doing 7 step dropbacks when you know the defense is bringing the house, that is just ridiculous.

Kaep never does it. All year, never has. Under any kind of pressure he just drops back one mile and starts running around like a headless chicken to either throw it away, make a futile incomplete pass, or get sacked. I have yet to see him make a quick throw into single coverage off a blitz and get intercepted for it, which means he isn't making these throws.

He's made plenty of throws to beat blitzes, not sure where you're getting this from, but for the most part he's done well when blitzed, Kaepernick has a 110 QB rating when blitzed, Cam Newton has a 70 QB rating when blitzed. For the most part I think Kaepernick does a good job of getting the ball out, but somebody has to get open for him to throw to. When you only have 1 or 2 guys running routes, even with a blitz the defense can maintain coverage.

Why isn't he? Perhaps the play is poorly designed for them, or maybe it's just because he fails to read defenses and is caught off guard by blitzes. Why would I think this is more likely? How about we look at the fact that Kaep makes poor decisions on read options, such as keeping the ball that one play and getting clobbered immediately by Greg Hardy on a blitz instead of handing it off to Gore so he can slip right past the blitzer?

I would say its the former and not the latter. Go back to the Cardinals game, when the 49ers kept coming after Palmer, Arizona responded by getting the ball out to space to Ellington and they repeatedly gashed the 49ers. When have you seen the 49ers make that adjustment this season? When have you seen Roman regularly call slants and screens period? They tried what......2 or 3 screens today? A halfhearted attempt to Kyle Williams on 3rd and forever.....an attempt to Manningham that went through his hands and a third to Bruce Miller that the defense jumped all over. What has the playcalling done to ease the blitzing on the 49ers offense?

You act like this is new and only connected to Kaepernick, since 2011, this team has struggled mightily with defenses that stopped the run and blitzed them heavily, since 2011 this offense had not had an answer to those defenses, regardless of who was playing at QB. Baltimore in 2011 set the template to beating this offense and nothing has been done since to counter it. Why do defenses keep employing this formula against the 49ers? Because the playcalling does nothing to counter it. They stumble and bumble through it, and then go on to beat up a scrub team the following week and pat themselves on the back over it.
CAR is a good defense. The 49ers run game, and offense, is natural when it has 2TEs on the field as it also provides personnel that allows the team to pass out of. Once VD was out, there goes the only legit deep threat. So now the CAR safeties have less to worry about. Kap isn't good enough to work without legit recieving weapons. Once Celek was out, there goes the 2TE set, so the run game suffers. These are factors as to why the offense struggled, on top of facing a good defense. I agree with the OP. It's not like they got worked by a sub .500 team. The foundation of this team did not fail them - the run game and the defense.
Originally posted by thl408:
CAR is a good defense. The 49ers run game, and offense, is natural when it has 2TEs on the field as it also provides personnel that allows the team to pass out of. Once VD was out, there goes the only legit deep threat. So now the CAR safeties have less to worry about. Kap isn't good enough to work without legit recieving weapons. Once Celek was out, there goes the 2TE set, so the run game suffers. These are factors as to why the offense struggled, on top of facing a good defense. I agree with the OP. It's not like they got worked by a sub .500 team. The foundation of this team did not fail them - the run game and the defense.

I think the most frustrating thing is the lack of adjustments. They had 2 weeks to put together a gameplan and it seemed like once VD went out, they basically threw the towel in. I'm still waiting for slants and screens to be employed in this offense regularly, it seems every defense approaches them the same way and when the better quality ones who are able to stop the run do it, this offense falls apart ever so reliably.